1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Very interesting Andre Johnson article!! No playoffs and he might want out!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by robroy77, Nov 18, 2009.

1. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

I the new ESPN The magazine there is an article about Dre. Pretty normal stuff about Dre's character, but there is a very interesting comment from his uncle/advisor. He says "If the Texans don't turn the corner soon, there's a plan in place to force a move elsewhere!" Wonder how Dre feels about him saying that to ESPN? What do you guys think?

2. Nook

Nook Member

Normally I do not support players under contract wanting out or threatening to leave.... but this is different. AJ is an elite player, he is one of the 2-3 best receivers in the NFL (I believe #1) and he gets no attention has never even sniffed the playoffs. He is getting to the point where his skills will start to diminish and he has no team success to show for it. If he decides he wants out, I will completely understand. Put AJ on the Colts, Patriots, Giants or a handful of other teams and he would be a fixture on Sports Center

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I side with AJ.

He's done his duty.

Let's hope the Texans "turn the corner".

4. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Also side with AJ. He's done his best while the Texans have ALWAYS sucked. He's done his part and then some.

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

I love the guy. He can go wherever he wants and I won't fault him for it...unless it's the hellhole that is Tennessee.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

He should play out his contract. If it comes time to negotiate a new deal and the Texans are still out of the playoff picture, then I wouldn't blame him for seeking other teams, but until that time I don't want to hear about it.

7. updawg

updawg Member

irresponsible speculation

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Screw that nfl teams treat players like trash. If he wants out more power to him.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, the problem is players like AJ has huge amount guaranteed money. They're impossible to trade until the end of their contracts because said money would ruin the cap for next year.

This is more an issue of practicality than one of right or wrong. But if his contract is near its end, then the issue could very well pop up.

10. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

No speculation at all! A quote right out of the article.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm with AJ as well. The guy has been a true pro ever since he's been here and has never spoke bad about any of his teammates. And I think most of the star caliber WR's in the game today would have ripped Carr a new one if they had to play with him as long as AJ did.

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I think Andre should do whatever is best for him. That being said, I don't buy into this BSPN speculation. An uncle/advisor doesn't make the decision of what "turning the corner" means. I'll start listening when Andre himself starts talking.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I don't care what team he plays for I will still be a fan of Andre Johnson. He has been a perfect player ever since he came here. I have the utmost respect for him.

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If Andre wants out, I wouldn't blame him. He's done more than what's expected and never been a diva or a me first guy so he's earned the right to force a trade without any ill will, but that being said, I don't like hearing loud mouth relatives talking about important stuff like this. I only want to hear from Andre and his agent. His uncle needs to stfu and be grateful his nephew is gracious enough to provide him a "job" as an adviser.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"WHAT THE F$%$@^@%$" - Dunta Robinson

Rocket River

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This city loves Andre, so I don't think anybody would hold it against him for wanting to go to a winner. It would be a real shame if he never gets to experience some real success in the NFL. I hope the Texans are the team he gets to experience it with, but I would totally understand if he felt compelled to leave. Now, for his uncle to sit there and talk about it NOW is a little classless in my opinion, but oh well. That's why I never like when family members get involved in player management.

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Barring an absolute meltdown/choke job for the rest of this season and a huge dropoff next season, he'll have no reason to leave. Obviously anything can happen in the NFL, but we have shown nothing but signs of growth since Kubiak took over.

18. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I have always worried that he is going to want to go and explore other options one day. I dont blame him, but I hope he can stick with the Texans for his entire career. He is going to be a HOF when all is said and done..

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Dunta never tried to force a trade to a winner, he wanted to get paid and he was offered a contract that pays him way more than he's worth and as a Franchised player he's getting paid way more than he's worth. That's the difference.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

i share the same sentiments as all of you, and it's pretty sad. he deserves better - a lot better.