1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Daily Dime: Scola Tops "Best Not Quite NBA Stars" List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theogcasey, Feb 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

3) All-Quasar: The Best Not-Quite Stars

First Galaxy

Luis Scola, Rockets -- Second Galaxy last season, he has been durable, consistent, defensively gritty and decidedly improved -- the antithesis of what the Rockets have been this season. The per-game numbers -- 12 points, eight rebounds -- might seem meager until you factor in that he's the team's fourth offensive option and least athletic starter. No one 6-foot-9 with a 4-inch vertical should be able to grab 18 rebounds in a game, yet he has done it twice this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090211

He has been so consistent this season. I can't wait to see him elevate his game to the next level this year or next.

2. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

He's probably the only player on the team I never question as far as shot selection, effort, hustle etc.

3. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Scola is a beast!

That guy is the best ball player on the team.. he is actually overachieving considering the skills he has..

deserves a lot of credit.. 5 stars for scolaaaaaa

4. redao

redao Member

Scola is the tru warior.

5. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Don't forget about Aaron Brooks on second team!

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Hope this doesn't lead to another Scola Appretiation Thread...

Wait nevermind there already was one! :p

No but he does deserve to be in the All-Star game this year with the Sophomores and I think he will do fine. I honestly think AB is gonna tear it up kinda like Daniel Gibson did last year.

7. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Scola is a beast!!! very underated.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Been my favorite player on the squad since he hit the floor. He's only gotten better and better, hell of a player.

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Scola is the only player on the team that would cause me to do this if he got traded...

[​IMG]

10. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

If everyone on the Rockets played like Scola, we would be a much better team. Scola knows when to pass, when to shoot, when to drive it to the basket in himself, he stays agressive, and he does all this while still staying within his role as rebounder and complement to Yao.

11. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

i love scola, but he doesn't pass effectively out of the post, and he commits the stupidest fouls that end up hurting us when we need him at the end of games or we go over the limit early in quarters. his d has improved and he certainly is a gifted offensive player, so i put up with it. still, it is somewhat frustrating to watch him sometimes

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I hate the way everybody tries to paint Scola as some slow scrub who just works really hard. Scola may not be an athletic freak but he's strong and gets down the court as fast as any big man in the league, with elite post skills and a mid-range game to boot.

I think his numbers would shock people if he was one of our main options on offense.

13. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

True.

The guy can easily avg 18/10 in this league.. just look at his numbers when he played in the olympics (although that s a diff ball game.. still) Without T-Mac i think he can atleast be 15/11 on the rockets because he would get more shots..

lets see what he can do.. banking on him to continue his good work

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Not even defense? Thats one area I think he could really work on.

15. lalala902102001

Look, here is the deal: Scola is playing less than 30 minutes a night and gets 12 and 8 -- if he plays what a starter normally plays (around 35 minutes), he would be averaing 15 and 10 a game. He also shoots 52% from the field. In short, Scola is already an above average starting PF in the league.

One area that Scola needs to improve on is his defense. Scola is never going to block a lot of shots, but he can improve on holding his position better. He is also still a little foul-prone.

16. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

I think he can only improve down the line... the guy seems to learn pretty quickly..

17. mms

mms Member

Scola has a free pass here.

18. Setuablaz3

Setuablaz3 Rookie

Wow! talk about holding on to the jockstrap.

Luis is superb guy. He is a guy you can count on and is an integral part of this team. But superficial comments like this make me laugh. Granted you can't question his effort just like Shane, Raffer and Wafer. But there are questions in his game. He often lets his man slip by in a game and is ineffective passing out of the post even when guys are open near him. Good 4's manhandle him. Nevertheless, Im glad to have him on this team.

Keep it up Scola!

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Scola and Wafer are why I still watch the team this season. Scola for his hard work, consistency and overall professionalism. Wafer for his enthusiasm, energy and need to kill the rim every time he catches the ball in the open court.

20. tsunami

tsunami Member

That's definitely not true. Don't think Yao is more athletic than him.