1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DraftExpress] Top European Performers of the 2011 NBA Draft Class (DoMo mention)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrjohn, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Top-European-Performers-of-the-2011-NBA-Draft-Class-3826

Donatas Motiejunas, 7'0, Power Forward/Center, 1990, Asseco Prokom
    Drafted in the First Round (20th Overall) by the Minnesota Timberwolves before being traded to the Houston Rockets

Donatas Motiejunas watched his draft stock rise and fall quite a bit over the years before ultimately leaving his name in the 2011 NBA draft. After spending last season with Benetton Treviso, Motiejunas expected to spend the summer competing for Lithuania as they hosted the 2011 Eurobasket, but was cut during exhibition play.

The young forward signed with Polish club Asseco Prokom who are competing in both the Euroleague and VTB United League this season. Though his team is just 4-12 on the season, Motiejunas has posted some huge games this season, which likely has Houston fans excited about his future.

Motiejunas has continued to do many same things for Prokom that he did for Benetton Treviso on the offensive end. With the departure of Alonzo Gee, Motiejunas ranks as Prokom's leading scorer in both of the leagues they compete in, and is for all intents and purposes, filling the role of #1 option for his team.

The 7-footer is spending more time on the perimeter than he did earlier in his career, and while his 32% three-point shooting is just shy of the mark he posted last year, he's attempting 3.5 3-pointers per-game, indicating an increased confidence in his jump-shooting ability. Around the rim, Motiejunas remains an agile finisher for his size, and that's been especially useful to him with his back to the basket, converting an excellent 54% of his 2-point attempts.

The biggest development we've seen from Motiejunas this season has come on the glass. Often maligned for his rebounding ability in the past, the Lithuanian big man broke the Euroleague record for defensive rebounds in a game with 18 against Union Olimpija.

While he's posted games of 1 and 3 rebounds this season, his occasional outburst on the glass has him averaging nearly 3 rebounds per-40 minutes more this season than he averaged last season. It's not a stretch to say that had he shown more of an inclination to crash the glass occasionally last season the athletic and skilled 7-footer would have been picked much higher than 20th in the 2011 draft.

For the second straight year, Motiejunas is a top interior option playing and producing at a high level against quality competition. He's had some moments of brilliance, though the inconsistency we've outlined in previous reports are still very much there as he's spending more time away from the basket.

Fiery Lithuanian Head Coach Tomas Pacesas has managed to get the most out of Motiejunas thus far, and though his team is struggling to win games (particularly in the Euroleague, where they are completely overmatched), he remains one of the top young players in Europe and it is worth keeping an eye on him as he seems to be improving on his weaknesses.

1 person likes this.
  2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think that part has people excited to think that we may have actually gotten a steal in the draft with DMo. Skilled big me are always at a premium in the NBA, especially if they can rebound.

3. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

He needs to be more consistent with it and I wonder how that will translate against more athletic competition in the NBA.

I think the Rockets may have talked to him about being a better rebounder when he came over and he seems to be making some strides there.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

OHMMS faints

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep. For those who don't know, when initial 2011 Mock Drafts came out (once all players declared and stayed in the 2010 Draft), Motiejunas was ranked around #5 of #6 in most of them.

Back in 2008 and 2009, when many thought Motiejunas would declare for the 2010 NBA Draft, most mocks had him going #2 overall, behind only John Wall. When his stock fell a bit, he pulled out and waited until 2011.

It was his lack of aggressiveness on the glass that was largely responsible for his subsequent fall on the boards. Even then, most mocks had him as a late lottery pick.

My guess is that, had Motiejunas done this last year, he would have been taken in the top 10 picks.

6. crash5179

[​IMG]

7. crash5179

I completely agree with this. Big men with skills are always in demand and rebounding seems to translate well from Europe to NBA. I may just be getting my hopes up for a big let down but I believe this could be a major steal for Morey.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah, I actually remember this!

It was right after Yao was lost for the entire 2009-10 season, and I started to look up the top talents for the 2010 draft, and almost unanimously every draft site and scout had John Wall and D-Mo as the top two picks for 2010.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This means that Donnie Mo better stop rebounding so much if he ever hopes to wear a Rockets uniform. The shiny rebounding stat is gonna make him too much of an asset not to be traded.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Rebounding is a stat that translates the best from league to league. If DMo can rebound in Europe, he'll rebound here. There's no reason to think otherwise. Consistency is not really an issue since he's only 21. If he were in the US he'd have been the equivalent of a Sophmore in college when picked.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Actually, rebounding numbers tend to be lower in Europe than the same player will post in the NBA, so what I'm hearing about Donuts in Europe is exciting. Scola is a good example. In his last season with Tau Ceramica (2006-2007), he averaged 5.8 rebounds per game. The season before, he had 6.7 rpg. http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=AJG During his 4 NBA seasons? 6.4 his rookie year, and then after becoming a starter the next season, he managed 8.8, 8.6, and 8.2 rebounds per game. The last part of last season, Luis was playing hurt, which affected his rebounding, among other things. If he gets the minutes and stays healthy, he may average 19/9 this year.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

what did he project?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought he was a top 3 draft two years ago.

14. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Not trying to down on the kid but what makes him more special than David Anderson?

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

he can dribble

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-top-5-lists

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

For one, Andersen was ~8 years older than DMo is now, and had already maxed out whatever ceiling he was going to attain. Thats not even factoring in that DMo can actually handle the ball for his position if not better.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Agreed. Andersen's post game is suspect, his treys are always short, mostly counting for long 2s. He is dominating in any part.
    Dmo is a good scorer, improved rebounder as it seems, better post game, more skilled, better in every aspect, I think he is growing towards 7'1 .....
    he can handle the rock.....

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

added

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Future all star he will b a beast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.