1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donaghy reveals anti-Yao bias in 05 playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DesiDishoom, Jun 18, 2010.

1. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

Finley steeling the ball from jon barry while he was out of bounds cost us a game

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would be no different than if in the 90's the Rockets complained to the league about the Sonics illegal Defense against the Rockets, and the league was told to start calling illegal defense as Seattle moved into the zone to pack the lane every play.

Maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate. I am tired of hearing about this sleazy criminal who somehow keeps coming up with more and more examples of conspiracies but never has any evidence or corroboration to back up his claims. Yet people keep taking him seriously.

In regular news you are supposed to have two different sources to confirm something before it's reported. They don't always follow that rule these days, but it is a time honored one.

3. devin23

devin23 Member

More reason for me to hate Dallas and cuban even more. Refs are such soft pathetic human beings. They are supposed to be unbiased. :rolleyes: Did cuban bribe them or what?

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Come on, everyone who watched those games saw how terrible Yao was officiated. Then JVG tells the media that the refs are targeting Yao per instructions from the league. And that another NBA official told him as much. Then Donaghy publishes a book saying exactly that and you want to deny it existed.

For a long time Yao was officiated terribly. Part of that was he is a difficult player to officiate but there was this sense that officials were told how to officiate him. I certainly felt that. When something happens time and time again you start to get it is not a coincidence. That is not the case now and you can see better officiating of Yao albeit still slightly biased. It is fair to argue why you think it is not true but to deny that the possibility may have existed is just being biased or blind.

Personally I think it was worse than the book suggest. I think Stern is goon who wants to rule the league like a mob boss. Donaghy was just a scapegoat and not a fluke there are more Danaghy 's out there.

Just look at how he handled the incident with Morey. He gets asked a simple question about the salary cap and clearly state this my personal opinion. Goes on to say he would have just one hard cap and every team would have to work under that. Which he believes would benefit the teams that worked smarter and Godfather Stern fines him $100,000. What a effing r****d.

Forget the fact that I agree with Morey. $100000 bucks for giving an opinion. Yet kevin Garnett can throw an elbow at Quentin Richardsons head and just get a measly $25,000 dollar fine. That's a man with to much power and as we all know power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. And Stern is absolutely corrupt. Fixing games with controlled and pointed officiating falls right in line with what that pig would do.

1 person likes this.
  5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So the refs knew the rockets were going to lose by 40 in game 7? Eh, i think Barney is on. You better watch Barney before you have to get on the romper room mat and take a nap,lmao. These cry baby kids are killing me.

6. lastreg

lastreg Member

I clearly remember there were a couple of calls 2008? when Rockets played Magic, Yao was called for "being contacted" by the best center Howard. I LOLed.

7. sew

sew Member

I think some of you just don't want to believe that the league is crooked. Heck, I don't wanna believe, I love this game, but it's hard not to believe Donaghy.

8. lastreg

lastreg Member

I gradually realized this: Of all the calls involving Yao, yes for sure Yao gets some of them to his favour. But 70%-80% of the time it's the bias against Yao. Because of this fact plus clear limitations of Yao, pretty much you can forget about championship with Yao as the cornerstone.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I find it hard to believe Donaghy; harder yo pay ant attention to him.

10. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Dude, what about the other games that we lost? its not just about game seven.. what about game 5 *******? did u effing watch that?http://bbs.clutchfans.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5372106#

11. gotsis

gotsis Member

That´s not the point, the issue isn´t if we lost because of the intentional bad officiating or not, the thing is, if refs really are told to manipulate the games it sucks and is horrible for the leagues integrity.

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

And manipulating how?

Look, I won't deny that there are bastards like Donaghy, and there could be a corrupt ref here or there (which if we all found out Crawford was one, would surprise no one.) But that's what those who whine about conspiracy because they can't accept that their team lost don't mean. They have this vast evil, conspiracy where Stern is some evil overload who will turn this team into pro wrestling and decided to throw this series four years ago against the team that had two highly marketable superstars. And this is simply ridiculous.

There are bad calls, but I'm less irritated by the refs these days and more fans who can't accept that their team lost and so are forced to blame the refs. The Celtics didn't lose because the refs sucked, they lost because they were exhausted towards the end which resulted in them hacking the Lakers players and their offense collapsed. The Rockets lost because our players from 3-15 were laughably bad. But a whole lot of you can't accept it, and so you believe this crook whom is completely by himself and is in it purely for himself, and not this heroic martyr you entitled people use as a way to deflect blame from the team.

13. Sly Dogg

Sly Dogg Member

i dont know how to change it but i meant to say hoping not knowing..they didnt want it to end early since rockets up 2-0.. aite.. the nurse making her rounds its bout that time to take ur meds grumpy old man

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we still lost by 40 points in game 7. that's not clutch city.

game 7 on the road?
    this is clutch city.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OnIy_NhcDFg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OnIy_NhcDFg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm more disappointed we lost by 40 than anything else.

went over to a friends place with a bunch of rockets fans on their new hdtv, wearing all rockets red.

then what? a joke.

a championship contender? a big freaking no.

16. OpportunityCost

Beautifully written! My sentiments exactly!

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I could not have said it better myself. David "BIG ear LOBE-fat azz" Stern is certainly a mafia boss or crime boss and I have always known how he directs his F' Ing...... officiating-goons to influence the outcome of games, whether regular season to determine playoff seeding or within in a series in the postseason to determine and influence the most desirable matchups in the later rounds. Obviously, a team must be not only good enough to advance in a series, but good enough to compensate for this kind of officiating that is designed to stop momentums, 10-0 runs, low post domination from Yao, and all that kind of crap. In short, I HATE DAVID STERN.

I hated you back then:
    [​IMG]

Still hate you now:
    [​IMG]

#57 Tfor3, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  18. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I dont' know how deep it all goes, but at the very least, we got jobbed in that Dallas series. Completely and utterly jobbed.

The officiating on Yao was ridiculous and yes his size made it more difficult to officiate him, but I'm not buying that crap nearly as much as the league would like me to. They'd been saying the same thing about Shaq for most of his career, especially earlier in his career, and they somehow managed to figure him out. Yao may be taller and better skilled, but Shaq is bigger and stronger and yet somehow they managed to figure out how to officiate him.

In that series, it looked to me that the Rockets had the toughness to persevere in the face of all that ridiculous officiating. They knew what was there, what they were up against, and that they had to respond, but that game 6 where Finley came in from out of bounds was so blatantly missed....it's not like his toe was on the line....he was a solid one-to-two FEET out of bounds....and THAT is what killed the Rockets. You could watch them begin to completely deflate and as a fan, and I knew the series was over right then and there. There was just no way they'd let us win it. Game 7 rolls around and we got blown out by 40. The Rockets gave up. It was embarrassing. It was certainly our fault for not showing up at that game and we got what we deserved for not even putting up a fight, but when you feel that the rules are stacked against you already....

And I don't know why the NBA wouldn't want to promote Yao, but let me ask this: How long was it before anyone outside of Houston seemed to know that Yao spoke English? Hell, it took ESPN at least a year to figure that out, and if ESPN was all you watched, it took you even longer to figure out that Yao was exceptionally skilled.

For me, there's no amount of 'moving on' to be done. Something smells awfully crooked, and all that Rockets/Mavs series is to me is more evidence of something foul. Donaghy may himself be a crook, but that doesn't mean anything. Whistle-blowing stool-pigeons don't have to be squeaky clean to be right.

19. ILoveTheRockets

Can someone answer a question? Coaches get fined for speaking out against refs, but why do they stop doing it? it seems like the coaches would be able to take the NBA to court(sure they might not have a job anymore) but if a coach was really displeased with the refs and the NBA, why do they stop talking out about it after 1 fine?

I know if i had millions, and I didn't like the way my employers were running the company, I wouldn't stop speaking out, until i reached a million. Am I missing something here? Do coaches get suspended after the first time/fine, or do they just fine the coaches every time they speak up?

20. alethios

alethios Member

All the more reason to hate Cuban. He probably helped Donaghy pick the calls.