1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does not drafting Clyde Drexler and settling for Rodney McCray still bother you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 7, 2008.

?

Does not drafting Clyde still bug you to this day?

1. Yes - a dumb decision by managment that continues to haunt this franchise

51 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No - get over it, move on, support the team as it is NOW.

61 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I mean come on, how stupid was management. There is NO WAY they should have passed up Clyde for Rodney soft as butter McCray.

If we drafted Clyde we could have held on to Otis Thorpe and we would have won 6 or 7 championships instead of just 2.

I mean the Rockets are still obviously recovering from this gaffe of epic proportions.

How is this franchise EVER going to get over it?

Can Morey actually finally FIX this franchise....oh man this one still hurts.

SHEESH !!

DD

#1 DaDakota, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

See, DaDa is trying to make a stupid analogy that we should get over what happened, only being the usual idiot he is, he doesn't understand that one issue is still relevant, one isn't. this is what DaDa does, he once told be that african american slavery in this country was ancient history like egyptian slavery from the bible.

3. DaDakota

No, the point is that both are irrelevent, and in the past.

Same as slavery in the 1800s and Roman/Egyptian times......both in the past, study them - sure, learn from history, but realize that it is, in fact, history.

Move on...that is the point, fix what you can fix NOW......why dwell in the past.

And calling someone an idiot is extremely rude, to say the least, I expect better of you Pgab.

DD

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I apologize for calling you an idiot, my point stands about the ridiculous analogy, battier still holds this team back in the playoffs.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

From this I gather that the proper recourse is for Shane Battier to pay reparations to Rudy Gay. Locusts first-born chitlins manna banjo.

6. DaDakota

No more than Rafer does......the team can win with Battier/Bowen type of player, he is not the problem, he may not be perfect but he is a darned sight better at the SF position than Rafer is at the PG position.

You can win the entire enchilada with players that are not perfect if you have the right mix.....

FIX the problems you can fix now........why dwell in the past?

I have no problem trading Battier if it upgrades the team...something like:

Battier/Head for Outlaw/Fernandez or Rodriguez

But to continue to whine about a 2 year old trade is pointless.

And, I accept your apology, thanks you for it.

DD

#6 DaDakota, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Wow, thats a little offensive.

Black slavery is like running a Marathon accept in the first half of it you were chained to a couple bricks. For the rest of the race you're still feeling the affects. I could talk to you about it for hours and you wouldn't get it because by now its more about the small details than it is about not being able to get in to decent schools or being able to get decent jobs as it was in the not so distant past.

I also disagree with you because griping about the past mistakes allows you and everyone else to remember them and hopefully those mistakes won't be repeated.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you're right DaDa, we should move on, its just something some people will not get over. as much as morey gets criticism, he more than made up for it by finally fixing the pf position, and at least attempting to fix pg by getting james francis and eventually jax. he's at least trying. I wish people wouldn't start battier/gay threads either but when they do, people are going to argue

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i didn't want to start an argument about the effects of slavery, sorry. lets keep it light, i was just criticizing dada's logic.

10. DaDakota

Fair enough, I just think we need to try to make THIS team better....and Rudy Gay is not walking through that door.

DD

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We won two championships! Anyone who still has a strong feeling about taking McCray needs therapy. It all worked out very well.

I don't regret the Battier trade because I don't believe Rudy Gay would have made a difference. But I can understand while some people might still be sore about it. If Shane falls off this year and Gay steps up to stardom, I'll join people in regret.

12. DaDakota

I would love to discuss this in the D&D, but here it is innappropriate.

Let's fix the Rockets.......the D&D can fix the country.

:D

DD

13. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

It still bothers me, but I still like Rodney McCray a lot, even if he didn't quite pan out as a player to meet expectations. He's just a solid guy that dealt admirably with his daughter's illness.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Had they drafted Drexler, in all likelihood they would not have lost enought games to have been in a position to draft Olajuwon the following year, and would have ended up with Sam Bowie instead. Oh and by the way, how would the Rockets have ended up with Otis Thorpe anyway, considering that it took McCray to land him?

So no. End of thread.

By the way this has no relevance to not drafting Gay insofar as we have not ended up with Hakeem Olajuwon in the last few drafts.

15. DaDakota

Come on sailor you know the meaning of this thread, and Drexler was not very good his rookie year, so we may have still lost enough.....

DD

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Yeah im 18 years old and its sad to see people crying about the Rudy Gay trade.

If they love Gay so much, they should buy his jersey and wear it... that would show their love for mr homosexual last name

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You don't apologize to DD. Yea, Battier definitely holds us back. If gripping about it gets the Grizzlies to take back Battier, then let's keep doing it. Bring on, Gay! Join me bringing Gay back!

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I can always have discussions about whho the rox should or shouldnt have taken. I do agree that we need to get over it, but that doesnt mean that it cant be discussed. I think that is the problem when discussing oppression. Most people want to forget about it like it never happen when not to long ago, my sister who is 49 was going to segregated elementary and middle schools. That wasnt that long ago. Anyway, back to the topic.

They just need to make it right. Its not payback or anything its getting this team corrected. DD you say rafer is more of the problem than shane which i kinda disagree. If u were ranking players at their respective positions, Rafer would probably rank higher than shane. When u see Fisher and Rondo as the starting pg's vs Pierce/allen or Kobe/Odom then it would appear the slashing scoring wing is more important. I'm not saying either can or cant be replaced because i think both are probably better suited for the bench. U can with with both as long as the other players on the team are dynamic enough to carry those guys.

I kinda would like to see Al Harrington at the 3 for the rox. I think they can get him and keep shane. I'm also to the point of giving Brooks the job and trading Rafer.We can always talk talent upgrades without offending sensitive people.

19. DaDakota

Explain yourself sir, you certainly should not go around calling people names because you disagree with their views.

PGab and I have had several meaningful arguments without calling names.....

I am not sure why you want to shoe horn your thoughts on this matter.

As for Battier, the Spurs won with Bowen, we can win with Battier.

DD

20. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I'm good with moving on from past mistakes as long as you learn from them and quit repeating them. We'll see what happens from here. Morey did a good job with Landry and Scola last year, we'll see with Brooks. The one troubling thing that still bothers me about the Gay for Battier trade is the mgmt team continueing to say that Thabo Sefolosha (however you spell that) was always going to be the pick if the trade had not been made. That's an issue. He is not as talented as Gay or at least has not demonstrated that yet. We were not and are not deep enough to not take the best available player.

They missed the evaluation as to how close this team was to a championship in trading Battier for Gay and then missed the evaluation between Gay and Thabo had the trade not been made. WE CAN't CONTINUE THOSE TYPE OF MISTAKES. I know CD was here, but Morey had some input as well.