1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you still think PF is our number 1 need?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KWilson71, Nov 22, 2013.

1. KWilson71

KWilson71 Member

Before the season I think we were all agreed that Rockets needed to add a Power Forward to complete this team. After the play of T.Jones and for some flashes D-Mo, This has moved down to my number 3 need for the Rockets.

If the chance comes to get Love or LA I'm all for it,but T.Jones ability to guard 3's and 4's,and his growing offensive game,I think is enough for this team.

I think this team biggest need is another SG/SF. I love Francisco Garcia for his playoff performances as much as the next fan, but he has not got it done this year, and prior to the playoffs last season he was pretty much a non factor.

Also I think PG is a bigger need than PF right now. I love Beverly and Lin,but if you look at every contender is the West they all have a excellent PG (westrbook,cp3,curry,parker). In the West we will constantly be getting outplayed at this position. I think Beverly is excellent as a back up point guard, and his defense and effort can't be ignored,but to get to where we all want this team to go, I think we're going to need better at this position

Just my thoghts

2. KWilson71

KWilson71 Member

I apologize for the typos, shaky keyboard.

3. pnr

pnr Member

Our offense is in the top 5, so I'm not sure why we would need a new PG? Harden's doing a fine job tbh. I do agree we could use a defensive wing stopper because our d sucks ass

4. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Jones is showing signs of becoming a good rebounder and scorer but his defense is subpar against the better PFs (ie. Melo and Dirk). With him and Harden that equals disaster. I guarantee we will get raped in the playoffs.

Harden needs to step in up defensively and sacrifice on the offensive end a bit because our offense isn't the problem. Soem games he does alright, and others he tends to disappear.

Jones may take a year or two to develop into a complete player so I still think the PF position is STILL our bigger issue.

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Really hoping Cisco's slump ends soon. I have to admit I've started looking wistfully at a couple of other SG/SFs... Gerald Green is balling right now.

6. nebula955

nebula955 Member

PF still easily. We have been massively outplayed at PF almost every game---Having another SG/SF won't help that much since you still gotta play Harden those minutes.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I never thought it was a need.

8. Oracle

Oracle Member

I'm with you in this. At this point of the season I would be looking for a good backup center to replace Asik. I would like Asik to that, but he does not seem to be interested.

I think that TJones and Casspi are excellent for the PF position because neither is looking to dominate the game. That's good, because Dwight has to dominate the game and TJones and Casspi know their place in the system. Dwight was actually doing very well in the Mavericks game. When he draws the attention, TJones and Casspi step in getting easy buckets.

I also agree with the PG addition. It is very difficult to find a suitable, but top quality PG for the Rockets. That's because Harden plays too much with the ball (unfortunately). If there was a great distributing PG who would get the ball to Harden in transition, Hardens production would increase dramatically (and his TOs decrease).

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A good defensive sf and a point guard.

10. omgTHEpotential

Yeah I think we need a defensive stopper at 3 the most. If we really want to become a contender, we need to be able to stop guys like LBJ and KD.

11. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Our number one need is a team leader. It doesn't matter which position it comes from, but currently we don't have any leaders on this team. We have too many sailors but no captain, nobody to take responsibility or get things done. Until that changes, we won't compete for ****.

12. Hmm

Hmm Member

We're fine with TJones, Casspi and Dmo splitting minutes, taking turns handling the PF spot on this team. Dwight's excelled with Asik out of the starting lineup.

Same for the PG position, it couldn't be more balanced; bev provides the defense, Lin's been the consistent offensive spark this season. People are simply overreacting to his first bad game of the season, which wasn't entirely his fault. You can give the Mavs' defensive adjustment half of the credit, and the other to the Rockets' dismal perimeter shooting.

What we desperately need is a competent defensive wing. This team just scored 120pts and LOST, so offense is clearly not in short supply with this team from any position. The problems are too many missed defensive assignments - especially in the 4th quarter when every possession and stop is critical for victory - most of which are products of our defensively confused wings. Just the previous game the Mavs ran a play where Lin, somehow, ended up rotating out to guard Dirk Nowitzki - it had to be one of the easiest shots he had all game.

Addressing this problem would be more prudent, not to mention more feasible, than wanting management to find a guard to out-perform the star-studded PG position of the Western Conference.

13. Oracle

Oracle Member

Well, I don't think it was because of Lin ending up watching Dirk. Dirk will shoot over the top of ANY NBA player. You can only hope that he has a bad shooting night. There's a reason why he just passed Reggie Miller in scoring and others will follow soon. The only thing you should be busy with is not letting the ball reach him.

Monta Ellis is another scoring machine who is very difficult to contain. The experience of Marion, Calderon and Carter did not hurt them either. Still the Rockets almost had it in Dallas. The team played very well, but in the end inexperience kicked in.

I'm not worried at all.

14. keldraco

keldraco Member

the reason why u think we need a PG is because bev is in the starting unit right now. We would still want a better PG if Lin was starting but not so much as bev

15. nomangame

nomangame Member

A few defensive-minded 2/3's....like Battier.

16. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Ronnie brewer?

17. Remii

Remii Member

Please tell me what Power Forwards that the Rockets can trade for that can shut down Dirk and Mello...???? Please enlighten us...

The 76ers put up 123 points on the Rockets without Harden. So is Harden the only one who needs to step it up defensively...??? Are you saying everyone should sacrifice their offense...???

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Our team is fine as it is, we just need to not play pieces that don't fit for those that do, and let the chemistry build from there.

Trade Asik for a future pick and an expiring and watch this team fly.

DD

19. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

This team is fine enough, we just need better coaches

20. Remii

Remii Member

Also the Rockets have already stomped the Mavericks in Houston already this season. Everyone seems to forget that. Ellis went 7-19 for 20 points that game and Dirk didn't make it rain either. Those guys can score but they don't do what they did the other night on a regular basis. And plus Jermey only had one point _ that doesn't always happen.

We'll see what happens next time, but I'm not worried...