1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we need the #1 seed to beat the Warriors?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Dec 15, 2017.

?

Do the Rockets need the #1 seed to beat the Warriors

1. Not at all, nobody can beat us and we are road WARRIORS

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Perhap as they are still defending champs (most likely 7 games either way)

23 vote(s)
    41.1%
  3. YES we need the #1 seed otherwise it will be another parade in California

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. jayfree

jayfree Member

I know there are people out there that think Houston (with the best record in the league) is better than the Warriors right now. But despite how locked in we've been we are still only 1 game up on them in the standings (And they are missing Curry).

I actually feel the Warriors playing without Curry is dangerous for the league as Durant is killing it and hitting his stride. With that said, the Rockets are the best team to compete against the Warriors but do they need the #1 seed to knock them out?

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

1st seed means you avoid Spurs in second round.

Absolutely need it.

3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Neither. We need to play better than the Warriors to beat the Warriors.

BigShasta likes this.
  4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Let the warriors and spurs beat up on each other in the second round. Maybe Pop will have someone slide their foot under Durant's leg for revenge. Those two meeting in the playoffs will be fire works full of techs nd profanity from both coaches.

jayfree and Rox11 like this.
  5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

No, but you wouldn't kick the first seed out of bed for eating crackers if you know what I mean. (wink, wink)

BigShasta and jayfree like this.
  6. riko

riko Member

Absolutely

jayfree likes this.
  7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

It will increase our chances and we need every advantage we can get.

jayfree likes this.
  8. ribbit

ribbit Member

Statistically, yes.

jayfree likes this.
  9. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

If we get 1 seed, we may not meet GSW. Let them play OKC and Spurs first lmao.

jayfree likes this.
  10. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Monte Poole, a bay area sports writer said this earlier this week:

“Though the Warriors are not yet able to deliver a timeline for his return, Curry will miss at least another 12 days and, realistically, probably closer to four weeks.”

That’s the first time I’ve seen someone concede this is a real deal sprain that will take more than just 2 weeks. The way that thing rolled...had to be a grade 3, maybe grade 2... but still that’s 4-8 weeks of recovery. I’ve rolled my ankle out before the same direction grade 2-3 landing weird on a dunk attempt in runner’s shoes. The way he was on a crutch with a boot and talking about significant swelling...had to be a purple softball on his ankle. Those ligaments had to tear. I’m not glad he got injured, but just saying that was nasty looking.

What I’m getting at is we play the Warriors 1/4/18 on our court. There’s a good chance Curry might still not be back.

We just need to win 1 of the 2 remaining games against them this year and we will have the tie breaker against them if it gets that close at the end of the season. Just 1. And both of those games are in January and both in Houston.

If we can maintain #1 and hold home court advantage I think that will be huge for our chances.

jayfree likes this.
  11. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

You can also say the Rockets were without CP3 for 14 games and yet they are still ahead of the Warriors

12. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Warriors need #1 seed to beat Rockets. They are very vulnerable on the road. On the other hand, Rockets kills on the road, 12-1!

BigShasta, jayfree and D-rock like this.
  13. mathor

mathor Member

yeah we need the 1st seed. Not for the homecourt advantage but to avoid the spurs.
    Ideal situation: Warriors against okc in 1st round (I believe they would be dangerous in the playoffs, not a threat for gsw, but a little bit of competition) and then spurs in the 2nd.
    If this is the case we have a chance, a good one.

jayfree likes this.
  14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Why do ask these types of questions. Whenever we play them or if we play them in the playoffs, just go out and win. Being the #1 seed doesn't guarantee us that series victory. Lol

YOLO likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do they need it? No. Do they want it and will it come in handy and should they strive for it? Absolutely.

Regardless of a team’s road/home splits during the season, the playoffs add an additional layer of intensity and being in one’s home building in front of one’s home fans an extra game is a big advantage.

jayfree likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think we do

starting the series off at TC and having that game 7 at home is huge

GS has never had to open up a series on the road since they became a contender

jayfree likes this.
  17. jayfree

jayfree Member

I'm impressed with the lack of homerism in this post and honest replies. :)

18. bongman

bongman Member

I feel that psychologically, we need it as a team to prove it to ourselves that we can sustain this till until the 82'nd game ends. This will not just boost our confidence but hopefully cast some doubts on GS psyche going into the playoffs.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Definitely. The Rockets are gonna likely need 7 games to get past the Warriors. You want that Game 7 in Toyota Center or Oracle? Also, if the Spurs maintain the 3rd seed, that would put them in the same bracket as Golden State. Which means we only have to play one of those teams in order to advance to the Finals.

So yes, do everything possible to finish with the #1 seed and best record in the NBA.

jayfree likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member