1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Differences we're likely to see out there in the post season vs. regular season..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, as our amazing regular season draws to a close, what do you all expect to see in the playoffs (beyond short rotations)? We've shown we can win a in a myriad of ways.

#1 Plowman, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The hard part here is the in and out nature all year of the lineups.

I mean when was the last time anyone saw Nene?

So the biggest difference, HOPEFULLY, will be the ability to have everyone available and healthy for every game.

After that... no clue!!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Biggest difference?? We are going to see opponents playing their starters 40-42 minutes against us in desparation attempts to contain our 48 Minutes of HOF PGs running MDA's system.

Teams can work up defensive schemes against us all they want, but they run out of talent doing it for 48 minutes.

as an aside: I think one of our biggest, underrated advantages is that teams are so focused on stopping our offense, that they don't have time to study our Elite Switching schemes on defense. Teams aren't spending enough time trying to figure out how to get open shots vs us...that's why we still win on sluggish offensive nights.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

small ball is going to be played even more so than it usually does

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

@LorneMalvo faints.

Daddy Long Legs and hakeem94 like this.
  6. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

mor GG, les JJ

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

@YOLO with the scoop? More play dates for Morey's musical Small Ball confirmation. :eek:

[​IMG]

B-Bob, HakeemOnlyFan, Plowman and 5 others like this.
  8. lastreg

lastreg Member

the biggest difference would be Harden takes 5 less FTs during playoff.

iJHolmes, B-Bob, jeevinesh and 3 others like this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I hear Small Ball is planning to run in Canada.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

More nationally televised games for my entire family to see.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

D’Antoni has been known to win 60 games in the regular season and then fall short in the past. I expect
    this Rockets team to go far into the playoffs. This team is stacked and can match up with every team
    that is contending in this years playoffs.

Teams will try to double Harden to get the ball out of his hands, and these same teams say that they will
    then double CP3 to get the ball out of his hands.....which begs the question......how many players will
    the other team have on the court at one time?

In theory the Warriors will focus on Harden/CP3/Capela defensively while telling the “others” to beat them. Can
    Flash Gordon/Ariza/Luc/Tucker/Gerald Green/Joe Johnson step up to the plate.

In theory the Rockets will focus on Curry/Durant/Klay defensively while telling Iggy/Dray/West/Bell/Young/Lingston
    to do beat us (Rockets).

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

It'll be interesting to see if Joe J. can give us an inside post game, especially for those times when nothing else seems to be working.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm not really optimistic. I know Eyesore Joe was rusty and not in game shape, but he's been maddeningly inconsistent. The fact is, if you make Gerald Green look consistent, there are big problems with your game.

#12 topfive, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Joe Johnson gets 48 minutes a game :eek:

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Damn you forget about Anderson! Savage omission. I see what you did there. no faith.

You also forgot about Nene. Nene was second best player in the playoffs last year before he went down.

15. Yaaz y2k

Yaaz y2k Member

The diffrence will be half court offense ..but since we have cp3 this year we should be just fine because teams cant just gameplan on harden

16. macan

macan Member

i hope MDA would not go back to 7 men short rotation like last year..we have talents to go 10 deep easy this year.

PeterKingX and kjayp like this.
  17. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Teams will try to double and do hard traps on CP and Harden. We have to be able to beat that style of D and role players have to hit shots for it to work. Also teams can play more aggressive, physical D with less fouls called. Harden, CP and the whole team need to keep their composure and confidence even in the face of cold shooting, not getting calls, etc...We can't get sucked into b****ing at the refs all the time. We have to be able to read how games are being called and adapt on O and D. Rotations will get Shorter and the pace slower

18. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I'm guessing this changes in the playoffs where an opposing coaching staff can really lock into our team. Hopefully MDA has got a championship run in him!

19. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

We need to play 48 minutes of elite D each night, which we are capable of. JJ, James, and CP are also going to need to work the midrange when we can't get out in transition and the other team is running us off the 3 point line.

D-rock and deb4rockets like this.
  20. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Rockets have a boatload of shooters; you can't nullify them all. Hopefully, teams will throw the kitchen sink at Harden and he can find the open man. If that happens consistently: banner time.