1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Did anyone else get the impression before the season that players' heads were getting big?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Oct 29, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

This whole preseason, I don't know why but I just got the sense that the players felt they just need to show up and it's an automatic win. Like the hype got to their heads.

There seemed to be a much different attitude before the season last year. Guys seemed motivated with a chip on their shoulder like they weren't getting respect, and they were hungry to advance in the playoffs after what happened in Portland the year before. Even with all the injuries, they were hungry and scrapped and would grind out wins no matter what.

This year I got a much different impression... before this first game of the season ever happened. I got a sense that there wasn't the same chip on their shoulder or hunger they had the year before. Just didn't seem as focused.

Look at LeBron. The Cavs made it to the Finals, but I don't think LeBron or the Cavs are satisfied. They are hungry as ever to win the title this year. I just haven't gotten the sense that the Rockets have tunnel vision and they are extremely focused on winning it all like they seemed to be last year, even with less talent.

Anybody else got that sense before the season? Or am I looking for things that aren't there and projecting my own feelings?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No. They got destroyed by GS. I saw the team when they got back from SF and they looked beat.

3. bmd

bmd Member

Well of course they are going to be disappointed right after they lost...

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nothing happned in the offseason to make them think they were favorites.

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Must be using Dwyane Wade's nutritionist.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Big heads. Definitely

[​IMG]

7. malakas

malakas Member

Yes. Maybe it was due to playing the Nuggets a team that supposedly is heading for at best a 30 wins season. But no hustle, no will to fight and win no defence just a sense of false superiority and entitlement.

Happened with both my teams during all preseason (it's just preseason don't worry, we will just flip on the switch once RS starts :rolleyes: ) and both lost their home openers on their floors by 20+ points against teams that are supposed to be bad.

Hope it's a wake up call!!

8. boiler

boiler Member

They might have the same mindsets like a lot of fans here, i.e., GS got lucky and had Dmo and Bev not been injured, Rockets would be the Champs. Since Bev is back and Dmo will be back soon, plus the addition of Lawson, championship is already in the bag.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I love armchair psychologist threads.

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

The team last season was a lot more fired up. I remember Harden, McHale and Bickerstaff talking about focusing on defense leading up to training camp and it showed in the preseason/beginning of the season. That team also had some hungry young players (Papa, Nick Johnson, Tarik Black, Caanan) who played with a lot of energy and a chip on their shoulder to prove themselves. Harrell showed this energy last night. This team now looks too satisfied with itself. I don't like that Harden was shouting how he was the best player all summer and how he was so happy he is finally able to play off the ball and get easier shots. Show don't tell Harden.

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

There is no doubt in mind that the same optimism that fans had during the offseason was also shared by the players. This roster, 1 through 11, is very talented, likely the most talented roster in Rockets history.

Still, they played a horrible game yesterday. Guys whom we expect to do well on a nightly basis did not show up. Hopefully, this will serve as a wake up call to the players that you must put maximum effort to beat any NBA team, even those destined for the lottery.

I remained optimistic though I am starting to doubt whether this coaching staff is the best qualified to mold this team into a champion.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

comes out after every loss

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I agree and I had the same feeling.

Last year pre-season there was talk about DEFENSE and two practices a day. They really had a goal after the Portland humiliation.

This year its complacency. And I wrote this in the game thread.

Rockets somehow felt they could just roll into the season and take care of business. That is complacency and McHale should be held absolutely accountable for that. You can't just turn on the switch from being pathetic in pre-season to winning regular season games. Every single game matters in the tough WCF and that too at home against scrubs.

This year none of that. It's almost like the Rockets coaching staff expect us to reach the finals again just streamrolling through teams because we added Lawson.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I completely agree with you OP. All preseason it looked like we weren't taking anything seriously and just knew that this season would be a cakewalk. Especially defensively all preseason we were simply not giving effort and making dumb mistakes and it carried right into the first game.

I really hope that first game was a wake up call to the guys and that they now know they need to take every team seriously as well as generally get their **** together defensively. The offense will take care of itself once Ty and Harden get used to playing off each other. Defense is a much bigger concern.

Umm acquiring Ty Lawson for nothing?

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I agree OP.

And it showed in the way they played. Before the game I just got a sense from the team that they weren't ready. Like this game was going to be a warm up to the "real" opener against GS. I shrugged it off, but apparently my spidey senses tingling had merit.

If that is the case i would actually feel better about the loss.

16. J Hard

J Hard Member

Just stop, if you mentioned this in the preseason then youd seem somewhat credible in this unfair criticism. You're one of those fraudulent fans, exit stage left.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, had he made this thread in the preseason everyone would have been like "it's preseason dude." The first game confirmed all of our preseason fears, we need to get it together soon.

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

This forum used to be great

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Sure it did.

Getting Lawson for almost literally nothing. Re-signing Brewer and Bev and having another year of cohesiveness and of course hearing a lot of people talk about GS fortune with injuries and how we were on the opposite end of that spectrum. Signing Thornton. Hearing about how deep and talented this team is. Seeing Capela grow.

And players almost always believe in their team more than fans and media do.

I'm almost sure that to some degree they bought into they hype.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

i wonder if other teams "fans" have as many meltdowns and try to dive into a teams philosophies like they know whats going on inside like this