1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey's job has to be on the line

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by threepointshot3, Dec 7, 2018.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This right here. Franchise has traded away nearly every player they have developed into being serviceable. Not having young talent outside of say Cappela and trading away so many 1st round picks, can make it really difficult to build a franchise. Not every FA signing will pan out and they seem to be getting harder to move these days.

lw17 likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahaha AWESOME

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

is sam hinkie still available?

4. bmelo

bmelo Member

yes, putting too much faith in weak players ends like this

5. bmelo

bmelo Member

best gm in the nba cant bring a finals team together in over a decade? give me a break. oh i know, the refs, Stern/Silver, agenda ;) look at Boston. in Moreys time in Rockets they about to assemble second powerhouse.

lw17, jsingles and RocketRed84 like this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

If it was still Les I’d say no, but Tilman ain’t gonna be happy if this hurts the value of this team, even if it’s only short term.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey deserves to keep his job based on his track record. Yes, the current roster is a mess. His mistakes will always look worse when viewed under the lens of an MVP's window.
    • The Ryan Anderson contract was an albatross given out when the whole league was drunk on cap space. We weren't the only team who regretted signings that offseason. It was clear after last season that he couldn't play here anymore.
    • Paul and Capela needing new deals in the same offseason was really a "poison pill" situation.
    Honestly, when Morey messes up, it's because of emotion (or the lack thereof). I am almost certain that the Chris Paul trade was done with an under-the-table agreement that we'd give him a big new deal this offseason. Otherwise, I don't think he agrees to come to Houston at all. Morey's a gambler and must feel, like we all do, that we were a hamstring away from winning the title last year. He's like a blackjack player closing in on a big win; if he sees a chance to win everything, he isn't concerned with the next few hands. The emotion involved in the Paul extension (whether through mutual understanding before last season or gut impulse afterward) was not an "analytical" way of thinking. The analytical mind would've cut their losses considering Paul's age, injury history and salary demands, and looked for value elsewhere. Instead, we're now stuck with one of the league's most un-tradeable deals.

BamBam, Williamson, KlutchQT and 4 others like this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Completely ridiculous narrative.

CP3 has never relied on athleticism, to be a good player. With the success that CP3 had in this system last year, you'd be crucified if you didn't re-sign him. No one could have seen this sharp decline coming.

Obviously, in hindsight, 4 yrs for 160 is looking like too much now, but there was no reason NOT to keep him. Made it to the WCF where because he was injured, we didn't make it to the Finals. And you're telling me, in the offseason, you would have let him walk?

Doesnt' seem like anyone gave Morey props for signing CP3 last year, and now we have multiple threads of "fire Daryl Morey" or "Daryl Morey sucks" because we're having a terrible season right now.

CF is ridiculous.

coyotetex, BamBam, Possum and 7 others like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Teams have figured out how to use their size against our crap switch defense
    and we have no size

BHannes2BHonest, lw17 and s3ts like this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey brought this karma upon himself. Toxic schmuck know-it-all that put Harden (another John Wall character) on the pedestal and gave him the keys to the franchise.

lw17 likes this.
  11. jcf

jcf Member

I agree wholeheartedly with the first part of your post. On the CP contract, everyone would have crucified Morey if he let CP go given how great a year we had last year.

12. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Morey should totally be fired.

He not only deviated from “analytic” objectivity, but he mortgaged the future in the process with these ludic
    I agree with everything u said except the notion that Morey should keep his job.

I think the lack of chemistry and poor locker room environment of this year’s team, and ultimately our poor record, is less about effort than it is about personnel. And that goes straight back to the GM. Any other business for this kind of piss poor decision making and normally u get canned. Worse still, was the fact that we were trying to court Melo TWO years ago!!!

The beauty of last year’s team was precisely our resilience and durability in the face of injury (aka Paul and Capella) as well as our grit.

If it’s about building a product for the fans year in year out - I’ll take a team of grit any day over a handful of statistically alluring but over ages all stars anyway. Especially those whom we have to overpay to keep.

lw17 and cheke64 like this.
  13. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

The reason NOT to keep him is precisely that it would have (and did) taken a four year max contract to do so! For years, Morey maneuvered in such a way that we always had cap room, or expiring contracts, or something of value that amounted to financial flexibility. But in one moment of excess worthy of a Real Housewives’ show, he pissed it all away on (factually) 32 going on 33 year old with a history of injury problems.

Save for shopping for LeBron (who factually has proven to be been extremely durable!), why would anyone sensibly do that? Unless you are drinking your own Kool-Aid!

I’m sorry. But this has nothing to do with hindsight. It’s risk and financial management 101. Or the lack thereof. Look at the Grizz with (ahem) Parsons! Hands down we should be a better and smarter franchise than Memphis than to commit similar errors!!!!

14. bmd

bmd Member

Completely, vehemently disagree. I'm not happy with the way the off-season went, and Morey deserves blame... but he is still one of the best GM's in the league.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Risk and financial management would be considered if we only made it to the first round last year with the CP3/Harden experiment and lost there. Under those circumstances, you would definitely hesitate at signing CP3 to a major deal.

But we got within 1 game of the Finals, and CP3's absence was the biggest reason why we didn't make it.

So in your scenario, we would let Chris Paul go, and sign...who? Which FA would take a look at our roster sans CP3 and say "I want to go there because we can definitely replicate 65-17, even without CP3?"

Chandler Parsons and Chris Paul might be the same situation, financially, but they are not the same player. Chris Paul, now, is better than Parsons ever was.

I don't think LeBron would have come here. Otherwise, he would have talked to CP3 about it, and "under the table" deals would occur, allowing us to get LeBron.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is not apples to apples, it is how they fit in with this team - CHEMISTRY is always lost on numbers only guys, and it is so much more important.

We had it, now it is gone.....got to try to get it back.

DD

17. HTM

HTM Member

Fire Daryl Morey and replace him with whom?

He will be snapped up within 30 seconds of being fired.

Only a moron would want Morey fired.

He isn't a magician. He has to work within his circumstances. He has done a great job. Just sucks by far the best team of all time has dominated his era.

18. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

i dont consider myself a morey only fan but if he gets fired im done with the rockets. with morey you know you have a smart, hard worker who always has the teams best interest in mind. one thing goes wrong, one player gets hurt and there goes your season. thats part of the nba. no one to blame, just keep working.

coyotetex likes this.
  19. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Shams reported that no one wants Knights contract even with picks attached.

jsingles likes this.
  20. BigBum

BigBum Member

"
    "Lack of Depth" is an excuse.

You have only two choices
    Rockets: Top heavy players + 12 Houses and Clarks
    8th seed Mavs: money spread out to top 10 players
    9th seed Kings: money spread out to top 10 players

MDA is very greedy. He wants a Juggernaut bench.