1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey did the right thing.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 23, 2017.

?

Do you agree with not trading for Carmelo Anthony if it included Gordon/Capela?

1. Yes

87.7%
  2. No

12.3%
  1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Other way around. I said it was like Rockets were trading Melo (back to the Knicks) for Ryno and two first rounders. I would do THAT deal. Ryno is a good enough fit at PF with this Rockets team that the presence of two first rounders (versus not having those two picks) is preferable to having the Melo-over-Ryno upgrade.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Perhaps, but the Rockets would have also had to deal Ariza along with Gordon to make salaries match. With no Ariza OR Tucker (who got the deal that Redick turned down), that leaves very little defense at the two forward positions. They'd need to rely very heavily on Mbah a Moute. It's an interesting "what-if". Still, I think I'd rather have Gordon, Ariza and Tucker over Redick and Melo. This team needed more defense as opposed to more offense, especially since they've upgraded on both ends with Chris Paul.

yixiixiy likes this.
  3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I agree... i would have been ok with losing Capela.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Great point. I actually like our team. I also like they way the media will underrate this team below Okc, Spurs and Warriors... then watch us come out kicking azz. Rockets play better as a underestimated team with deep depth.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Ahh... that makes sense.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Can't believe people are arguing Capela for Melo? All Capela does is catch lobs and dunk. Melo can roll out of bed and get 20 vs anyone.

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

It's not the players only, it's the fit, the rest of the roster, their respective ages and their salaries. The Rockets don't need Carmelo's offensive firepower. This was a top ten offensive of all time last year and they added Chris Paul. They will need a player who can protect the rim, switch on d and be content to catch lobs and dunk so the shooters and driving lanes are open.

Shark44 likes this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Anderson for Melo makes sense since Melo will fill Anderson's minutes and role as a stretch 4, with more off the dribble ability.

Giving up key guys in other positions (Ariza, Gordon) for Melo does not make sense. Giving up a substantial asset like Capela (is he ever part of the discussion?) makes even less sense.

I don't think I am being sour grapes here. But years of fantasy basketball tells me that when older guys have a down year, even if external factors are to blame, often do not come back to their original level. Hoodie Melo is a fun meme, but I am not certain that it'll be a reality in season.

OKC is smart to take the gamble not giving up key assets, with Westbrook being unsigned still especially. But I do wonder how Westbrook, George and Melo will fit with each other. Same question would have applied in Houston but here at least we have his relationship with Chris Paul to hopefully smooth the transition. OKC might have drama.

Deuce likes this.
  9. OTMax

OTMax Member

You guys are still arguing? About Capela when reports state they wanted Ego and Trev?? This is moot and definitely happy Morey wasn’t that stupid. One All-Star caliber player and a glue guy who both can start. Look at what OKC gave up and then use your brain, leave emotions out of it and you know Morey did the right thing!!

bawanyh likes this.
  10. threepointshot3

Yep you don't givep a deal which would have included Gordon and Capella for a declining star.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now get Patrick Patterson!!!! Giter done.

12. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

But for the Warriors specifically, Melo is the better fit.

Warriors achilles heel has always been great iso players. And with melo, you have someone who can manhandle Draymond on offense, frustrate him, make him lose his cool.

Even with all their stacked players, if Draymond is taken out of his game, their system falls apart, and the path to victory is right there.

This is why Melo was so important and now okc has him.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If Melo does not deliver in OKC then we could exhale......

If Melo does indeed put up a performance, then I guess lots of us will play the game What IF again......

Just have to live with our decisions or indecisions thereof.

RockWest likes this.
  14. hakeemthagreat

No. You're letting the fact he chose OKC cloud your judgement. You do realize nobody is the same player they were when they were younger. I already know he's not Denver Melo. But put Melo in a system that allows him to score, he can put up superstar caliber numbers. EG's a great role player, who compliments our system. But he aint averaging superstar numbers in ANY system

Little Bit likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The convenient thing is also the 'right thing'.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Overall Melo can be had for nothing (trade no players) next year for the team that has CP3 on it.

17. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

This.

18. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

You must be smokin crack. Gordon is a replaceable bench player, smdh

If more was black ppl would find everyway to criticize him. But we know why his mistakes are always rationalized.

19. sanedolt

sanedolt Member

At least we are not trading out our starting 4&5 at the same time

20. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Why are you bringing race into this? Makes no sense and you sound like a child.

Gordon is not a "replaceable bench player". He's a starter delegated a 6th man role in which he won the award for it btw. AND he's also a 3 point contest champion! PUT SOME RESPECT INTO THAT MAN'S NAME!