1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House is playing a dangerous game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Pretty sure House has people telling him he's the next Scottie Pippen. :oops:

roslolian likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not arguing teams need a wing, I'm saying that wing doesn't have to be house.

I'm not sure which 3 wings you are talking about, you mean GG, Ariza and LMM last year? We got GG, Shumpert end EG this year so thats still 3 wings.

House isn't the only wing player in the entire NBA, just because he isn't on the team means the team is lacking a wing and just because other teams are looking for wings doesn't mean they will automatically get House.

What exactly is your optimistic take? That he will get the minimum from other teams? So why is the half n half take he will get the minimum? It's the same as your take lol

Competitors don't always bet on themselves, thats why they stay at their jobs instead of quitting and looking for a higher paying job every year. If you've been fired from your two previous jobs do you still demand a raise and threaten to leave your 3rd job? You won't at your work and I won't at mine.

3. biff17

biff17 Member

when did he do that?

Link?

4. biff17

biff17 Member

Dude he got cut by Phoenix.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Lol @Mathloom with a holicesque effort...i applaud ..a man against the world

6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Smh people stop being so homerish. House is not playing a dangerous game. I'll bet anyone a hundred dollars he will get more then what the rockets offered him. He made a business decision.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Look if House wasn't so valuable then why is the reigning MVP of the league talking about his value in the Chronicle. House is deadly in that corner and is one of our hardest working players

jcf and DaDakota like this.
  8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He's in the game for the Vipers right now.

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

0-3 from three

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I guess he conquered his corn problem.

11. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

Nah, next TMac

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It’s going to be pretty risky bringing him back. He’s playing for a contract, and there won’t be that many minutes to go around, even more so if we do indeed sign another buyout. Especially if he’s brought back so late in the season as some have suggested. Could be a bad distraction.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Meanwhile in the G league.

House is playing in his first appearance after the contract affair.

Dude just pulled a James Harden and drew a foul at the three point line with 2.3 second set to go, went for 3/3 at the FT line, winning the game by 1.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

HELL YEAH !

DD

jcf likes this.
  15. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Your points are pragmatic and applicable to humans generally speaking. However, why do I get the impression that you’re defending House’s decision?

Would House be “selling himself short” if he took the Rockets’ “lowball offer”? Never mind the fact that the “lowball offer” from the Rockets would be FANTASTIC money just to live comfortably on for any person, House included.

You speak of betting on yourself. That does have merits in life but there’s a fine line (sometimes) between betting on one’s self and simply harboring false entitlement.

If he exhibited a future “James Harden” in his limited stint with the Rockets then this “betting on himself” would make a ton more sense.

He’s what the Rockets have needed at the wing...good shooter and D and size. Ok but that’s it. That’s still dime a dozen. A Harden-like is not.

I don’t blame the Rockets for offering a textbook reasonable contract at the time and point of the season they did.

It remains to be seen how this will pan out for House. But as it currently stands, he could/should have just taken the contract and played the season out. There is a time and place and purpose for anyone to “look out for themselves first” in any career or occupation. House may have had the right intentions but the timing of his decision to put that intent in motion was ill timed.

BeBreezy likes this.
  16. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Let me ask you something. Let’s use working in the private sector as an example. If you were working for a big name corporation and you were making good money relative to the industry norm, but just a bit lower than the industry. Would that be enough of a reason for you to bet on yourself and leave the company for greener pastures?

Perhaps in some cases. Normally though tenure with a company illustrates loyalty, work ethic, dependability and more reliable references because of the longer term served at said company.

I bet on myself and I’m sure most of not all on here and in the world bet on themselves. That’s still subjective. It’s “what have you accomplished lately” and “how long have you sustained it” that always matters at the end of the day.

Teams now have some limited NBA data on House because they’ve seen him play as a starter for some games as a Rocket. That’s it. He hasn’t proven jack as far as sustaining it over a good sample size of a season with wear and tear/fatigue etc. The NBA season is a grueling one and there’s something to be said about a player that has played through a grueling season compared to a player that played roughly 1 quarter of a season.

People over estimate their self worth all the time. I’m included in this admittedly. Playing the “conservative route” and just taking the “lowball offer” could have been a win-win for House with far less stress induced by uncertainty.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. jcf

jcf Member

Live comfortably, but his earning window is very narrow. And you can take his expected earnings, take out agent fees, taxes, etc and still have a nice amount of money.
    Now, spread that out over 40 years and consider that he is one of a couple of hundred of the best at what he does. He is in the upper, upper limits of the top 1 percent. Even if he never approaches all star caliber.

Not right to compare that to a normal lifetime wage and say it is a lot of money.

18. jcf

jcf Member

Just being realistic, whatever our chosen field, I doubt many, if any, of us are at the level of a player who has made it to the NBA. You have to be the very best of the best in your field. The fact that even in that strata there are those that are demonstrably at the top doesn't take away from the fact that anyone who merits a rotation or starting position in the NBA is rare.

19. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I hope he doesn’t stop earning after 3 or 4 years. He can always go play overseas as an alternative in his “older years”.

You’re right that I can’t relate to his financial “issues” when he could have made a heck of a lot more in 3-4 years as I likely would working in the private sector until “normal” retirement age. House will be fine financially if he manages his finances right.

If I can live comfortably within my means of the “paltry salary” compared to a low ball NBA salary, House surely will be just fine. It’s ok to settle sometimes. Why are people so apprehensive to that notion. I prefer stability more so than high risk propositions. Before you judge me about not being ambitious, that couldn’t be farther than the truth.

20. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Your statement supports the notion that House should have just taken the deal and played the season out...unless I’m missing something here