1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Danuel House Contract Options (I have grown to love LTS)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Mar 6, 2019.

1. BreakYoSelfFool

I am very glad that the gamble to wait on bringing back Danuel House has paid off. It seems that at this point, we should be able to stay safely out of Luxury Tax Territory. However, I'm no capologist and could use some help. I believe House is valuable to the team immediately and in the future, and am assuming the Rockets do agree since they reportedly offered him a long-term deal. I would like to go over the Rockets options to play him in the playoffs and keep him long term.

Playoff options:
    1. Rockets convert House to end of year contract or sign him to long-term deal before April 10, making him eligible for and adding him to the playoff roster. Rockets then proceed to kick butt in playoffs.
    2. Rockets do not convert House to end of year contract or sign him to long-term deal before April 10, making him ineligible for the playoff roster. Rockets then proceed to kick butt in playoffs.
    Benefits/Drawbacks for Rockets adding House for playoffs :
    1. Rockets get to play House in the playoffs. This benefits both Rockets and House as House can help the team win and add up to an extra $250,000 in his pockets luxury tax free with playoff pool money.
    2. Rockets must offer a Qualifying offer of 1.85 mil to House to make him a restricted agent, vs $50,000 2 way player contract. Benefits House since he gets either 1.85 mil guaranteed or is an unrestricted free agent if not. Even if becomes an unrestricted agent and doesn't get signed to even a 2-way deal for the whole season; worst case for House, #1 will mean he earned more money and he could still play somewhere else. No one signing him as an unrestricted agent would mean he wouldn't have gotten signed as a restricted free agent and the Rockets didn't want him on a 2 way deal either.
    3. House gets prorated salary for portion of regular season converted. Benefits House, more money. Minimal effect on Rockets because can still easily avoid tax.
    4. Playoff injury risk. Don't believe this will be much of a factor since it is just as likely for him to get injured if not in playoffs. If injured, House would have more access to Rockets doctors and training staff since he would be a team member.
    5. House would likely raise his market value with playoff experience and exposure. Obviously benefits House, but only benefits the Rockets if House is signed long term.
    Regular season options:
    1. Rockets convert House to end of year deal immediately. See playoff option #1. Highly unlikely at this point because it prevents?/hinders the Rockets from signing him to a long term deal without Restricted free agency.
    2. Rocket wait until end of RGV season to bring back House for free. (not counting towards the salary cap, but he still makes prorated NBA minimum). Highly likely, would allow Rockets to choose either playoff option and give more time to try to negotiate long-term deal.
    3. Rockets do nothing with House before April 9th. Doesn't help anyone since we are assuming House would help the team. House makes less money unless he signs last minute long-term deal. Rockets could still choose either playoff option at the last minute, but could delay building chemistry if adding him last minute. Most possible negotiation time before playoff decision.
    Preference:

Negotiate long-term deal as soon as possible. From what I understand Rockets could still give House extra cash up to nearly $800,000 this year as additional incentive to sign a long term deal without going over tax. Would like exact numbers relative to Capela's incentives, but I believe that is correct assuming he only hits the Western Conference finals incentive. I believe the maximum deal House could get is a prorated $25 mil so should be easy to find a number prorated to give him the remaining cap space. Adding in playoff pool earnings House could put 1 mil in his pockets this year. Since Rockets will almost certainly be in the tax next year, the 1 mil this year tax free means for the same $'s in House's pocket Tilman saves between $1.5 million and $3.75 million in tax next year depending on how far we are above tax, also helps with hard cap. meaning a deal now putting 4.7 mil actual cash in House's pockets ($800,000 + playoff pool + 2 min years) could cost up to millions less than a 2 year minimal deal in restricted free agency that puts $4.0 million in his pockets.

justtxyank, Why not?, Easy and 22 others like this.
  2. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

whats the date this absolute CHAD can be signed

3. Possum

Possum Member

Clutchfans where people call for harden to be traded and for us to tank while crying over a scrub like House not getting playing time.

Dacamel, SF3isBack!!, amaru and 14 others like this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Pretty thoughtful writeup. Not 100% sure it was thread worthy :cool:, but in our arguments about House we often forget to stop and consider that there are still scenarios that could bring him back.

I wonder how much bad blood is on House's side now that this has drawn out this long. It might make sense for him to sacrifice some money now if he's all-in on his strategy, because it will avoid Morey holding him captive during restricted free agency. Of course, that's all based on one's perspective on whether he will command any kind of value beyond vet min on the open free agent market, anyways.

The GARM doesn't like complex things. The GARM likes to yell.

burlesk, Smacktle, amaru and 2 others like this.
  5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Rockets must offer a Qualifying offer of 1.85 mil to House to make him a restricted agent, vs $50,000 2 way player contract

Pretty sure this part is incorrect.

bilaal14 likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you watch him play? He didn’t look like a scrub.

I don’t understand why folks aren’t excited about finding a 6-7, 25 year old shooter/defender/dunker/passer.

7. biff17

biff17 Member

I think it was thread worthy because some people don't understand what House and the teams motivations are to get a deal done.

I for one forgot about playoff money House could earn.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I would love to have him back since I know we can use him when Green and Shump are off, but with our team finally getting back to full health, he is not worth breaking the bank for or stressing over. If he rejoins us, awesome. If not, who the hell cares? He doesn't move the needle against GSW and both GG and Shump are more proven than him.

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

I read this as with or without House we kick butt.

10. BreakYoSelfFool

I'm pretty sure it's right. If House is last a member of an NBA team, which he will have been, his qualifying offer is the league minimum 1.85 mil. If not he his qualifying offer is another 2 way contract. Either way he will be a restricted free agent unless we refuse to offer the QO. I got that from https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffsi...s-restricted-free-agency-unfair/#159704287ee8

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. BreakYoSelfFool

I'm also curious what people think the offer amount would need to be for House to sign a long term deal. I would hope a net of $6 mil over the next 3 years would be a good amount. I don't think House can be certain another team will sign him, especially if he is not on the playoff roster. Especially with him being a restricted agent and the Rockets potentially matching.
    I don't think the Rockets can be certain no one will sign him for more in free agency either.
    Especially if he plays in the playoffs

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

When I see House updates on CF

[​IMG]

fckbandwagons likes this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Obviously a breakdown of minutes doesn’t work the way I’m about to break it down and can easily vary greatly from game to game but if we’re dividing 240 minutes in the playoffs:

Harden - 37
    Paul - 33
    Tucker - 36
    Capela - 32
    Gordon - 32
    Faried - 24
    Rivers - 12

That is probably the lowest for each player and would leave 34 minutes with Green, House and Shump. Left out Nene with an assumption that games he plays would eat into Faried’s minutes though this isn’t necessarily the case with Tucker at SF option. Again, this isn’t how one would usually decide on minutes but it does mean at least one player is going to be out of the rotation. I also wouldn’t be surprised if someone like Rivers falls completely out of rotation with a rough start in a series.

Green has proven himself pretty valuable recently. Shump and House have a lot to prove whatever games they play the remainder of this season.

Easy, D-rock and bj3175 like this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

To be fair it was a small sample size , House has bounced around the league , and much of his production can be tied directly towards playing with harden .

However , I do agree with you . I believe what House did while up with the squad was just the beginning of his potential and that he would only continue to get better as he played in the system more and played more with harden and Paul

15. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Well based on your next line “Benefits House since he gets either 1.85 mil guaranteed or is an unrestricted free agent if not.”

I thought you were stating that 1.85 mil was the only way to make him a restricted free agent.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Waiting on BimaThug

Rocket River

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You gotta look at Morey's dealings with whiners in the past. He doesn't accommodate them.
    The only way I can see House getting playing time in the playoffs is if he signs a multi year contract at the minimum.

Benefits for the Rockets:
    We get to play House in the playoffs
    We get House locked up for 2 further seasons

Benefits for House:
    He gets to play NBA
    He gets paid the same amount he would get paid next year anyway

If House doesn't sign multi year, I'd be fairly surprised if they play him at all. Classic 8 man playoff rotation = Faried, Rivers and Green off the bench (Shumpert 9th man). He only hurts himself by holding out. For some reason he believe his stock is worth more than $4.2mill over 3 years. Take the cash bro - it's better than $50k/ year.

tmoney1101, D-rock, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

How much you wanna bet he gets more then that at the end of the day

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

if he doesn't, I'll gladly bet that house doesn't get an offer better than 3/$4.2 mil guaranteed

Lovemachine2000 and mike2k132 like this.
  20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I'll take that. Trust me he getting better then 4 mil

Lawlruschang likes this.