1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

D’Antoni: The rotations are what they are!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jan 22, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Harden played 35 last night and CP3 35 and EGO 30. So in your formula Green would play 6 minutes, like I said.

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

Yes. I'm sure of this too.

But that's the point.

He's already proven that he is deserving of at least a little bit of time. Not a lot. Not enough to warrant major changes to our lineups and rotations. But some. He's not as good as our other guards but he isn't Bobby Brown- his offense appears to be good enough that he isn't a net negative.

And unless there's an injury- that's the hopeful point of trying to incorporate Green, to try to reduce the chances of that. Not eliminate the possibility of course, but at least try to reduce it.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Green will get time when the matchups allow it. He's not a good defender. He's a guy who can shoot the 3 (sometimes) and slash. If they need quick offense, then he might be a guy you go to. Last night, they needed to lock down defensively after the first quarter. This was the right call.

justtxyank and mikol13 like this.
  4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah 6 minutes is a good start

ego was chucking 0-7 from the arc and not very good overall shooting
    and harden wasn't shooting well overall either.. and missed some defensive assignments

maybe even additional minutes for green

if the coach wants the team to play harder, then if someones not playing "hard" enough on offense and/or defense due to fatigue, tired legs, not 100% injury-free then put someone in who will. This way when ego or harden or cp3, green has built more chemistry and conditioning and ready to step up as a 2-guard. Same with RJ Hunter. Don't wait for an injury to play & develop him. Spot 2-4 minutes a game helps his confidence and development.

I know its just one game just hope MDA tries to run a man 10-rotation the rest of the games. Too many pros the only con of it is MDA's stubborness or inability.

But yeah I like that he played Ariza only 28 minutes. We'll get to see more of Ariza running out of the tunnel like a gazelle.

Jake Tower likes this.
  5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Yes. Green can ball, we all know that. I'm sure D'Antoni has let him know that if he ups his defensive game, he'll get more floor time.

And if he doesn't, and one of our scorers gets injured again -- which will probably happen -- Green will be there to save our bacon. Quite likely in the playoffs.

bulkatron likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mike D’Antoni said he would try to have a 10-man rotation. He did not succeed. He stopped at nine players, which was predictable, with Gerald Green the rotation player left out. D’Antoni said he felt bad about that, and an argument can be made that it would have been worth getting Green on the floor for a few minutes when the shots were missing to see if he might spark something. But the idea that more players in a rotation means fewer minutes for others can be entirely wrong. How much the reserves play, not how many, impacts the workloads of the starters. The more Luc Mbah a Moute or Eric Gordon play, the fewer minutes there will be for Trevor Ariza or James Harden and Chris Paul. Spreading the same bench minutes among more people does not change that. Harden played a little less than 35 minutes, Paul a little more than 35. In a tight game decided down the stretch, that was not too heavy or unexpected a load. No one else topped 30. D’Antoni can drop a minute from Harden’s total and two or three from Paul’s with the rotation he used on Monday.

For now, he wants players to get in the rhythm with the revised rotation that they had before the injuries began in mid-December. That will be important to establish. It was part of the success in the 14-game winning streak, something Rockets players cited often. D’Antoni needs more players to play their best, not just more players to play. But Green should not be forgotten. It will be difficult for him to play just a few minutes at a time, but when those chances come, it could be beneficial to keep him fresh enough to be another club in D’Antoni’s bag even if he did not need to be fresh when he came off his driveway to provide all that instant offense when Harden was out. For now, the Rockets have more options than they’ve had all season, with D’Antoni seeking the right mix and a rhythm to make the combinations he is using work best

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/3-pointers-Takeaways-from-the-Rockets-win-12517970.php

D-rock, vlaurelio and s3ts like this.
  8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Ordinarily I'd be down with that, but Ryno was hitting yesterday... Kind of.

Mighta been better if he took some of Gordon's minutes.

adw and killahflip like this.
  9. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Whats sad this season is when Ryno makes 3 shots in a game we think he's had a great game. I miss last years Ryno.

deb4rockets and Pen15clubber like this.
  10. vlaurelio

yeah but ego was 0 for 7 from the arc and not that good shooting overall

harden's overall shooting wasn't good as well

if kerr can find minutes for nick young pretty sure mda can do the same

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Lol, yeah, I edited that post just before I saw this. I know he made a couple in a short stretch in the 2nd half, and thought he mighta had a bigger game than he did.

Gordon is another guy who's minutes he could eat into a bit. It just doesn't make sense to bench a guy who's been as hot as Green.

D-rock and adw like this.
  12. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Maybe this year he slumps now and goes bat **** crazy vs gsw in the wcf :eek:

vlaurelio likes this.
  13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I would throw green in there as soon as our guys look like they can't buy a basket.

vlaurelio and adw like this.
  14. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

And he would be known as the greatest troll Rocket of all time.

I hope it happens.

D-rock and Pen15clubber like this.
  15. vlaurelio

and/or someone's not playing/defending "hard" enough

Pen15clubber likes this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Oh its going down brotha

Ryno is going to rain 3s on GSW in the WCF

adw and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Title99

Title99 Contributing Member

Most games, Paul could be at 30 or less and Harden 34 or less. Give those minutes to Gerald.

They need to be healthy and not worn down at the end of the season. Especially concerned about Paul who is old and injury prone. I'm expecting some nagging injury to erupt on him again soon.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This sounds like MDA is being forced to play 10. Thank you Tilman kids.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If green was the shooter nick young was he’d get minutes. The warriors are also helped by having creators at multiple positions and three stars level leaders of the offense. The rockets have two.

Still, you guys are worried about giving green 6 minutes or so. This isn’t a big deal at all. Nobody was overplayed last night.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree with the posters here who said mpg is important ... But that the best way to rest players is to give them whole games off .

If Mike doesn't want to play green 5-10 minutes because he'd rather our 9 man get all the time to "gel" ... I guess that's cool in close game scenarios .

But if Gordon is in an awful slump ( partially due to not having his legs in his shot ) it makes too much sense to bench him for a game and let green have 25 mins

Same goes for anyone that plays the 1-4

Green should be used to keep the rotation at 9 while we rest players .... Not cut it to 7 or 8 like Mike has done previously .