1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Croshere in Houston!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jul 12, 2000.

1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Croshere is the man. Get him now!

------------------
    blah blah blah

2. alaskansnowman

A few points about the Rockets and Kevin Garnett and RWall.

We arent going to be able to get somebody that can "stop" these two guys. We just need somebody that can matchup with these guys well, and can at least give them a few problems scoring right? Somebody that's tall(about 6'11), quick, can run the floor, and long arms...

I think we have somebody already like that on this team... CARLOS ROGERS!

Yes Carlos does not have much offense, but he's not a Chris Dudley either. You cant really leave him. He can cut to the hoop and finish, and he can occasionally hit the 15 foot jumper(though that's not his favorite thing to do).

Whenever we talk about Croshere, we almost always say, "yes but he cant matchup with the KG's and RWall's of this league". That is certainly true, but we dont have to worry about getting somebody that can becuz we already have Carlos Rogers. Whenever we play Portland/Minnesota/whoever, I saw we just give Rogaz some more time at the 4 or 3 to give Garnett/Rwall some problems.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

3. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Another thing in Croshere's favor:

He certainly had "It" in college (everyone remember the run he took Providence in the Tourney his Senior year?), and his ability to step up in the playoffs this year showed he might be in his way to having "It" in the pros. I think Rudy likes role players who aren't afraid to make the big play in the playoffs (a la Horry, Elie, Cassell, et al)...

------------------

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Croshere may very well be the best Small Forward we've ever had. Elie and Horry were pretty good. And Rodney McCray wasn't too bad either, but Croshere appears to be the most agressive SF we've had in years. Everyone else seemed so passive. Elie included. It's time to become the agressor like Hakeem Olajuwon was, wait for the reaction, and then hit the open man.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

5. Monkey7392

Monkey7392 Member

Ok some of you guys are saying "Would you want Austin taking KG, hell get killed but think of it this way. How would you like to see Bullard taking him or Walt, i saw most of the games last year and it was ugly see Bullard getting dunked on. Austin is alot better defender than bullard.

------------------

6. Monkey7392

Monkey7392 Member

Check out this Line up with the guys we got and the ones we might get this off season. PG:Francis/Norris SG:Anderson/Mobley SF:Croshere/Williams PF:Cato/Thomas C:Olajuwon/Collier Extras: Langhi,Bullard, Drew Then With the Extras We Send Drew and Bullard For Rodney Rogers

------------------

7. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

I am so pumped up seeing the Austin Croshere fever spreading. I think you guys have seen the light.

Many of the posters have so eloquently stated the key points of having Austin on the Rockets.

Remember we have a ton of draft picks coming up and we will have cap space next year. We are not going to pick up that Superstar player that each of us is craving this off-season. But without question we are on the way to building a solid championship team. We have to build it piece by piece. Austin is a key piece towards that goal. Is he the final piece. Definately not. But he will help this team improve with his attitude and playing skills. The guy will be a solid contributor on both ends of the court.

Next year the Rockets will have the opportunity either through the draft and/or free agency to pick up the star power forward or center that we need. I love the plan that has been laid forth by the Rockets management. It just makes alot of sense.

Now all they have to do is get Austin and Mobley signed, sealed and delivered. They can than focus on the arena vote.

------------------
    President of the Austin Croshere fan club.

8. haven

haven Member

What do you guys think the impact of getting Croshere would actually be? I may be overreacting, but as I see it, having a true front court scoring option would take us out of a battle for the 8th seed... and give us a shot for the 5th seed or so (if Mobley resigns).

Ridiculously premature hypothetical prediction:

With Austin: 52-30
    w/o Austin: 44-38

------------------

9. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

You know, Croshere brings some things we hate in Stockton. They are both tough, they hustle, they wanna win and most of all, I think they are both a tad bit on the dirty side?

That being said, BRING ON THE CROSHERE!!!!!

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

That might be a BIT ridiculous, but you're definitely right, Croshere would definitely make us a much more competitive team!

With regards to him matching up to KG/Sheed, I see those as "good" matchups for Croshere, not good on the defensive end, but good on the offensive end. We saw what he did to the slimmer PF's in the playoffs - he used his stronger upper body to push them around and score inside. Now I'm not saying he'd take KG to school, but he'd certainly be able to go at him and score a point or 2...
    ...as far as Wallace goes, I think he's a tad overrated right now, sure he's big and can do anything, but he's also an idiot and can hurt his team there as well. Not to forget his "dominant" playoff series was against the Lakers, coincidentally a team sporting the second worst starting PF in the league (behind Kenny Thomas)....

Croshere would definitely cause matchup problems for a lot of the Western Conference PF's, whether because of his strength or because of his footspeed or because of his range - not to say he'd be the best PF in the west!!!! Just saying that he'd definitely be a scoring option... add that to his 150% hustle and effort and you can't go wrong!

------------------

11. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

This just in:

Okay, Laettner is excusable, but only because of college bball. MacLean?

ugghhh...

Earlier I forgot about Bull. The new arena-deal lineup is as follows:

C - Collier
    PF - Croshere
    SF - Langhi
    SG - Drew
    PtF - Bullard

This lineup allows Drew to revert to his sg role, where he's more comfortable, and allows Air Bullard to use his mad handles at the #1 spot. This lineup also has the added advantage of using Bullard's stellar defense to stop the faster pgs in the league (Payton, Kidd and Stoudamire to name a few.). Although this lineup may give away a fast break or 30, the score will be a wash in the Rockets favor due to the three point average somewhere around .430, which is much better than the current starters can shoot inside the arc.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

12. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Setting aside the comparison to Langhi, which I doubt anyone here has seen play, I agree that I would rather have Croshere. MManal, I too would rather have Lewis, since he is a potential matchup to Garnett, but heck, we're just talking here. Why not both?

------------------
    If you don't remember the ABA, you don't know basketball.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Woah! Does somebody know something I don't? Do we HAVE him already or something?

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

14. Kdog

Kdog Member

What do Bird, Thomas, Stockton, Barkley and I am sure many others have in common? To state the obvious, there were all superstars! But more important and, at least to me, more interesting is what there were not and that is athletic! Bird was slow and at best played smart defense but athletic, no! Thomas was short, I mean the point guards of the modern NBA are giants and, yes, also more athletic. Stockton is a slower version of Thomas with even less hops. And Barkley, well before you ponce upon his inclusion, played PF, a postion usually reseved for 6' 10'' and above, was Barkley 6' 10''?--I think not. My point is athletisim doesn't mean jack! It is the player. I remember not to long ago a thread stated players who had IT. Well, if you asked me Austin has it! And I would love for him to play for the rockets, exception and all if necessary. And while I am on the subject of it, let me state that at this point in his career at least, francis doesn't have it! and just to illustrate this point further, I would prefer a slow stockton to francis now. Because stockton has it! Peace...

------------------

15. OT

OT Member

Dr of Dunk nailed it. You have to have the right pieces of the puzzle. We didn't have Superstars or even Allstars when we won back to back championships. We had all the pieces we needed and had them over achieving and getting the job done.

------------------

16. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Okay, next years starting lineup: (assuming we sign Croshere)

C: Olajuwon
    PF: Collier
    SF: Croshere
    SG: Anderson
    PG: Francis

If Dream can breathe he starts. If not,Cato starts. If Collier can cut it, then you have Twin Towers II. Imagine trying to go to the hole with a soft layup against these two. When Rudy teaches the young guys how to switch off, so that if a shooter goes around one then the other will be waiting for him to swat it back into his face like the old days of relentless defense. Then throw Croshere into the mix with his tenacity. I can see the blood & carnage now. Rock on Rockets!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hottoddie (edited July 14, 2000).]

17. Swift Turnaround

Indiana may let Croshere slip away- According to the Indy Star
    News, Lack of action isn't helping to keep him. Indiana still doesn't have
    a coach. They have six free agents that have not yet been addressed.
    And one of them, Austin Croshere, may not wait. "After my meeting
    with (team president Donnie Walsh after the season), I was really
    positive about everything with Indiana," Croshere said. "I remain that
    way, but they haven't made a contract offer. Given that there was no
    offer and they have no coach, I decided that I should explore my
    options a little more fully." He remains on good terms with the
    Pacers with fond memories. But how long is it going to last?

18. Swift Turnaround

Indiana may let Croshere slip away- According to the Indy Star
    News, Lack of action isn't helping to keep him. Indiana still doesn't have
    a coach. They have six free agents that have not yet been addressed.
    And one of them, Austin Croshere, may not wait. "After my meeting
    with (team president Donnie Walsh after the season), I was really
    positive about everything with Indiana," Croshere said. "I remain that
    way, but they haven't made a contract offer. Given that there was no
    offer and they have no coach, I decided that I should explore my
    options a little more fully." He remains on good terms with the
    Pacers with fond memories. But how long is it going to last?

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

HEB, I think Croshere was coerced into that statement.

The Don made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

------------------
    blah blah blah