1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Croshere in Houston!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jul 12, 2000.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

What???

I tell you...if Croshere signs with us, I personally think that any player who meets or discusses or anything with the Rocks gets hypnotized.

Have you noticed that in recent years this is happening. With the exception of Pippen(who I assume is alien and can't be hypnotized), every player Rudy speaks to or trades for says the exact same 2 sentences:

1) "I think Houston is a good fit for me."

2) "I think Houston is a great city and I can definitely see myself playing here."

Its almost cult-like. [​IMG]

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

NIKEstrad;
    Does it make you think back to draft day now? If it seemed like there was some sort of agreement, maybe it explains Jason Collier a little better... didn't the Pacers want him? After all he's their type of center - good outside shot and has offensive skills to complement Davis' hard nosed toughness.... and isn't Croshere sort of expendable for them? Considering their future is Harrington and Bender and Davis at the forward spots - maybe they want to get something for Croshere and swung a deal with Houston? I'm not suggesting we JUST give them Collier for Croshere - obviously we'd have to at least be giving up the Milwaukee pick as well... I'd be willing to send Bryce Drew along for the ride, see how he likes Indiana!!

------------------

3. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

DrNuegebauer,
    I think from our responses we agree completely about Croshere. [​IMG]

Almu,
    You are right on about Pippen being an alien. An ugly one at that..

Nike,
    You really got me going crazy with this Austin news. Ever since the NBA finals ended I was just hoping the Rockets would get Croshere. Please, oh please I hope this happens.

Give me more info... Has he signed yet... Has there been another interview. Damn, how many more days till Aug 1....

Ok.. Relax and take deep breaths... Man this off-season is really killing me...

------------------
    President of the Austin Croshere fan club.

[This message has been edited by Dream34 (edited July 12, 2000).]

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dr-I personally don't think so. Pryzbilla is a much better fit for them I'd think. Collier I view as a backup center or a starting (or backup) PF. I just don't see him as a starting, full time C. He could be, if he has a guy like Davis next to him.

Croshere said he hopes to reach a decision soon....let's hope it's by the time he's leaving Houston...or better yet staying to go house hunting. [​IMG]

Pippen is definitely an alien. I remember back when he was a Bull, and got hit or something in the playoffs (finals?), and had that HUGE welt thing on his forehead, that's when I knew something was wrong with him.
    ------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited July 12, 2000).]

5. playahata

playahata Member

This guy fits in. Athletic, shoot's the 3, hustles like a mofo, and he's kinda dirty. Let's get him.

------------------

6. alaskansnowman

You guys are making too big a deal of this visit. Remember, Cuttino visited Toronto also, and we just shrugged it off like, "Oh, he's just weighing his options..."

That's prolly just what Croshere is doing.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Dream34
    I'm hanging on for Aug1 too... not that I'll be shattered if we don't get Austin, but it'd be nice to have him!! I watched him plenty of times this year and was just SO impressed by his hustle. And then there was the Rockets interest in him before the draft and I was like "trade the pick for him!!" and that didn't really work out... and then after we drafted Collier (who just so happened to be the guy Indiana wanted) I was thinking hmmm and then there was all that speculation straight after draft day that Collier for Croshere was a done deal come Aug1... and then some of those crappy Free Agent listings said "don't be surprised to see Croshere in Houston" and now this!! Could it happen??

On another note; looking at it from the Pacers perspective it doesn't look like too bad a deal (Collier plus picks for Croshere) and if they force us to take Mullins contract on then it puts them at 19mill in salaries paid which leaves them a cool 17 mill to spend... not bad... could they sign Rose and E.Jones? That'd give them a prettty sweet looking roster and throw in Sam Perkins on the minimum to play some backup C (heck add Rick Smits if he'll take the minimum) and they're not looking bad at all...

------------------

8. Swami

Swami Member

Well since DEANBCURTIS hasn't yet made his usual worthless token appearance, let me get it out of the way for him: "I don't want to trade the Catomic Bomb or Los, in fact I don't want to trade any member of the Rockets squad from last year. I wish we hadn't participated in the NBA 2000 draft, because I'm afraid that we may not have EXACTLY the same 12 players as last season (when we were so successful). By virtue of our first round selection in this draft, we now have a new guaranteed contract and I'm just sick to think that we won't have exactly the same squad as before. Change is never good, and I cannot think outside of the box (even if only for the purposes of discussion on the BBS)!!! My opposition to change never waivers. I'm opposed to any trades or deals for the Rockets this offseason, even if it were possible to get Tim Duncan straight up for Kenny Thomas. Because Kenny rules!" Let me apologize in advance for my poor imitation of DEANBCURTIS (because I forgot that he only posts that he never wants to trade anyone without providing his reasoning). Furthurmore, I wrote more than one line while imitating him. But let me make it up to you......

I AM SPARTACUS!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Swami (edited July 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Swami (edited July 12, 2000).]

9. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

10. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but Mark Berman is suppose to have some breaking news story for Fox Sports tonight on the 9 o'clock news... They did not say what it was, but it might have something to do with this visit..we will wait and see...

11. Tha Play Maker

Ok, I dont know if you guys saw the same NBA Finals that I saw, but Horry was taking Austin to the rack and stuffing it on him. Those two were going back and forth. Dont give me that stuff about Horry gettig pasted by him. It was pretty even throughout.

Now, for all you Croshere lovers. He's defintely a solid pickup, but I'd rather have a tough 6'10 PF type guy that can get rebounds, play solid defense and score a lil bit too. Doesn't mean we have to go grab a superstar. Just a Otis Thorpe type of player. Maybe a Theo Ratliff or a Davis from Toronto.

Croshere is a solid small forward, but we need a guy that can hold his own with the big boys of the west. Otherwise, we're gonna have Stevie having to go and forth scoring bucket for bucket.

That doesnt play in our favor. We need a solid center or PF. That's all Im saying about that.

------------------
    Great players aren't always great, they're only great when they have to be

12. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The breaking news was that not about Austin Croshere, however they mentioned he was here today and talked to CD about it.

The breaking news, was the Rockets and sports authority have agreed on an arena deal. So that is great news...now everyone here in Houston better vote for it...

13. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

No matter what he costs, no matter how he defended Horry, Austin Croshere is an upgrade from Langhi and Wizard. He brings offense, fits out chmistry well, and ya, that's right, another white guy who can shoot the outside shot. I really liked him when he was in Indiana. Props again to CD.

------------------
    "There are two rules for success... 1) Never tell everything you know."

14. Swami

Swami Member

Dean, I'm sorry, its just my sarcastic humor (no offense intended)! I'll grant you this much, winning teams have often spent some considerable time together developing their full potential (look at the Knicks, Pacers, and Lakers this year). The Rockets have had very little time together (especially when you factor in all the injuries and lineup changes last year). So it does in fact make some sense to give them more time, but I also enjoy thinking about potential changes to the lineup. Your reply was more fair than I deserved. Regards!

Swami

------------------

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Croshere is the kind of guy you need 2 or 3 of on your team to win an NBA championship. He's all about attitude and fearlessness and refusing to lose. As in: Mario Elie.

But there's a catch. Absent superstar talent -- which Croshere doesn't have -- there's a limit to how much of your payroll you can afford to spend on acquiring that kind of attitude. Elie wanted more than he was worth. Croshere probably will, too. It did the Pacers no good to have Croshere's attitude on a team that lacked enough talent to win it all. We must avoid putting ourselves in the same situation.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's some ironies: Croshere was said to have a very good talk with CD, from CD himself (who's doesn't BS stuff IMO). CD said he was a "Nuts and Bolts" guy, who was interested in meeting the coaching staff, and the training facility. I think everyone here agrees that our coaching staff is VERY good, and well liked, and isn't our training facility among the top in the league? It also should be noted it happened to coincide with the Arena plans being finalized.

We may or may not land Croshere, but I like our chances a little more now, than I did a week ago.

The difference between Mobley and Croshere, is that Croshere could go anywhere, while Mobley has a choice of Chicago, Houston, and Toronto pretty much. Speaking of Toronto, Aldridge says TMax is signing with Orlando now, and just outright for the max, meaning they'll have around 9 mill of space to work with I believe.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Will,
    would you pay more for Croshere than you would for Mobley? I would in a heartbeat...

------------------

18. MManal

MManal Member

Austin Croshere would be a solid pickup but only under certain conditions. If he can be had for around the exception and does not put any types of terms and conditions (ie. guaranteed starting spot no matter what, promise of a HUGE raise, etc). Croshere would fit well as a solid role player, but he is not the answer no matter how we slice it. The reason I dont want to guarantee Croshere anything is b/c I feel in the future the Rockets can do better. For instance, I dont want any type of contractual guarantees to Croshere getting in the way of a potential signing of Rashard Lewis in 2001. I would MUCH rather have Lewis than Croshere.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

19. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

If we could pick up one of the Barry brothers at the 2, the Rockets would be set as far as the arena deal:

C - Collier
    PF - Croshere
    SF - Langhi
    SG - ???
    PG - Drew

Quick Rockets! Make the billboards today!

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

20. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Feigen's Chronicle story on Croshere says that Indiana can match any offer to Croshere up to 4.1 mill. That can't be right, can it? Why would his situation be any different than Duncan's? They both entered the league the same year.

------------------