1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cp3 (different approach needed)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by legacygt777, Jan 5, 2019.

1. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Chris Paul is an amazing pg. We all love him. Obviously most of us believe rox would be champs with a healthy Cp3 last year against the warriors.

I have some friends that are in sports medicine. They've suggested that whatever Cp3 is doing, he's still getting injured with those hamstring issues. From diet, training, reduced minutes, changing his basketball approach, or something, has to change. Obviously age is a huge factor too.

We've seen it in Yao and Tmac when injuries take over. Maybe Cp3 needs to come off the bench or some strict minute restrictions. Whatever the case, I hope Chris and his team (Dr's, trainers, coaches etc) figure something out. Same approach will yield same results in the long run and change is needed if he wants to break this injury cycle (7 hamstring injuries since 09). Thank goodness Rivers fits the system. Go rox.

#1 legacygt777, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

First-

We need to reduce minutes

DNP bad half of b2b.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's on MDA. We have the best backcourt depth in the NBA. Harden, Paul, Gordon, Rivers, Green. I'm not even counting Knight and MCW because they are playing poorly and unlikely to stay with us, but those are our 6TH and 7TH guards. It's silly that we need all-world depth to convince MDA to play these guys the same minutes as most other superstars. We need to bring Harden, Tucker and Paul's minutes down.

Hopefully with the acquisition of a good forward at the deadline and some luck with health, we'll be able to do it. Maybe Clark improves and helps us at backup PF for 10 minutes, he seems like the type to work harder rather than surrender.

dcfma, edwardc, Lawlruschang and 9 others like this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

NO MORE BS WESTERN MEDICINE. NEED TRADITIONAL WITCH DOCTOR HERBAL HEALERS!

Give MCW's hamstring to CP, cuz MCW sure ain't using his!

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

6. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

I think limiting minutes to 28-30 min for most games is good. Also, sit out B2Bs.

He does still need to play some heavy minutes every now and then, just to maintain his conditioning and so that he can finish close games.
    The thing you can't do is limit him strictly the entire reg season and then expect him to suddenly play 10 more min per game in the playoffs.

D'antoni has to be committed to limiting Paul's playoff minutes somewhat as well. If he decides to limit during the season and then just ignores the restrictions during the playoffs it could be just as bad since Paul's body may not be conditioned to that load, increasing the risk of more injuries.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe you could try Voodoo.

lw17 likes this.
  8. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Sucks he had to give ol injury prone the max smh. But we might need to give Paul 30 games off per season just so he can be super good for the playoffs.

Might have to do that thru the whole contract.

Need third star.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

That’s one thing that scares me the most. It seems it’s the type of injury that will happen no matter what. Could play little or lots and it’ll still act up

BeBreezy likes this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Bingo.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Things break when they get old. I have personal experience with this. Sometimes something will break at the weirdest time. You can be doing something that should not cause injury and then SNAP.

You could play CP3 five minutes per game and he will probably still get hurt. He's old. It is what it is.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I do agree it’s really crazy he’s had that many hamstring injuries over that long of a period. Obviously I’m not a high level athlete but I do know that when I quit stretching (on the advice of a trainer) my muscle strains basically stopped happening. I train somewhat hard in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and I was dealing with non stop muscle strains when I was stretching often.
    I do different warm ups now and my injury rate has dropped significantly.

That’s my little story for the day...

And I agree that something needs to drastically change with how he is used. No back to backs and no more than 25 mpg. He certainly won’t be worth what he’s getting paid but his value needs to be salvaged. That won’t happen pushing him too hard during the season. He would still be able to play the crucial minutes with that kind of restriction too.

#12 robbie380, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Seems to me this is an easy problem to solve. Just gradually increase his minutes as the end of the regular season approaches. He wouldn't need those game off if we were taking care of him earlier.

legacygt777 likes this.
  14. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

He seems to get them after periods of intense play with little rest due to being on the road then travelling home, etc, so not much time to recover.

2015 vs Spurs: @4/26 (38 mins), 4/28 (41 mins), @4/30 (44 mins), 5/02 (injury, 37 mins played, injured before that)

2018 vs Warriors: @5/22 (42 mins), 5/24 (38 mins, injury)

2018-2019 RS: 12/13 (37 mins), 12/15 (36 mins), 12/17 (37 mins), 12/19 (28 mins), 12/20 (12 mins, injury)

It's less about how many minutes are played in the specific game and more about the big picture rest and recovery. If you play every other night, then have a back to back at the end of that, the body is basically sore through that whole time. That was 5 games in 8 days when he got his in season injury.

A guy like Paul is a player you rest on that back to back game, it's a recovery day.

Playoffs is harder, intensity goes up, so he's putting more stress, minutes go up, and especially in the later rounds. That one you are looking more at consecutive minutes as you can't really rest players when every win counts. So there you have someone tracking how many consecutive minutes he's playing and make sure it doesn't reach a certain threshold, and tracking his hydration, that's the best you can do for playoffs.

charlieaustin, HP3 and legacygt777 like this.
  15. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

If you get one decent hamstring injury, your likelihood of reoccurence goes up, even worse if you don't give enough time to heal. It's one of those injuries where the remedy is rest and rehab which sometimes players can be impatient with.

D-rock, robbie380, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  16. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

If you get one decent hamstring injury, your likelihood of reoccurence goes up, even worse if you don't give enough time to heal. It's one of those injuries where the remedy is rest and rehab which sometimes players can be impatient with.

legacygt777 likes this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I can relate as well and I’ve only been “on the IR” once for it. Hamstrings are so finnicky and volatile and important. I do believe fatigue plays a role in even small tweaks or cramps that can turn ugly quick, so minutes restrictions seem smart.

Ennis pretty much has one wheel taped together and even though he almost made a strip play 3 times in a row that’s the exact kind of movement that tears hams. Lunging forward but also trying to remain explosive when you land, you’re pulling the muscle both directions hard instead of just falling.

Getting old sucks (32 here)

legacygt777 likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I never understood the obsession with COMING OFF THE BENCH versus STARTING

Why not have CP3 start . .. . hell for my money why did Melo not start
    I always felt it was about minutes and match ups . .. .

I think CP3 plays the first 5 minutes of the game and then everything else is situational
    Minutes distribution is more import than Starting or Not

Rocket River

D-rock, fattz and arabrocket like this.
  19. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

I still play pickup basketball games. I've changed my approach. Just being smarter and not as going crazy like I was 18 helped a lot.

Even if Cp3 plays like a more traditional pg and being less wreck less plus reducing minutes would lower the risk.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

For $40Mil/year?

That's where the 'approach' needed to change, IMO. During contracting. $40Mil is way too much to pay for someone who you have to limit minutes on.