1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

Have yall rebounded from the pig flu yet? We'd be happy to send you some pork.

Or steaks. Eat more beef.

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just buying most of my meat from the import stores here in Beijing. Basically if the embassy approves of the store/supplier, I won't think think twice in terms of getting my protein.

I don't think the pig flu is over with yet, I read online that a pretty famous brand of dumplings had to do a mass recall because they discovered something in the meat.

I'll take all the steaks thankyouverymuch :p

Nook, malakas and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Stay safe, man. Eat safe!

Out of curiosity, is most of what you're seeing in reputable markets in Beijing from Australia? New Zealand? Canada? Talking about beef/lamb/pork, chicken even. Wondering how the stupid tariff war is still affecting things....

Roomba likes this.
  4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen beef from Australia and Korea. Especially if I buy it in the WangJing area in Beijing, where a lot of Korean folks still live.

Doesn't seem like the average Joe over here has been hit too hard by the tariff war (at least, not compared to the coronavirus and the fear it has caused) but I'm speaking as somebody who's admittedly under-educated on the matter.

Thanks for the well-wishes! I'm definitely going to take care over here.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hopefully this thing gets contained because that's a lot of severe cases.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

That was my New Years resolution actually. Doing well so far.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. Newlin

Newlin Member

I can’t even imagine what it must be like to be aboard that cruise ship and knowing that the virus is spreading throughout the ship. We know how easily these things spread on cruise ships.

It seems like they could remove the passengers to an onshore location and keep them isolated from each other.

8. likestohypeguy

Any more word on this stuff, under reporting, not enough test kits, hospitals not having capacity for everyone... don't see news stories covering these angles.

9. malakas

malakas Member

There are many witness stories.

And for western media to have access to this we can only imagine the extent of the under reporting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...onavirus-patients-wherever-we-go-no-one-cares

"One woman said she had taken her elderly parents to three hospitals searching for space for them. By the time they reached the last one, which had no free beds, her parents were so feverish they were unable to make the journey home. She put blankets on the floor outside the observation ward and they slept there. Her mother died this past week, having never made it to a hospital."

This is only one example of a death that went unreported as a coronavirus case.
    Of course it isn't confirmed so it can't be included in the official account.

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

in Vancouver area hospitals system , which is the Chinese hub in North america, we received a memo of "we've a robust supply of N95 respirator masks, including a substantial number in our pandemic stockpile. However, it is important for us to pay close attention to our supply at this time ,important changes to previous \
    ̶N̶9̶5̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶p̶i̶r̶a̶t̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶e̶y̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶t̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶v̶i̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶i̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶n̶s̶m̶i̶t̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶i̶r̶b̶o̶r̶n̶e̶ ̶r̶o̶u̶t̶e̶ ̶(̶e̶g̶:̶ ̶t̶u̶b̶e̶r̶c̶u̶l̶o̶s̶i̶s̶,̶ ̶c̶h̶i̶c̶k̶e̶n̶p̶o̶x̶)̶ ̶d̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶e̶r̶o̶s̶o̶l̶-̶g̶e̶n̶e̶r̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶d̶u̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶

Only when instructed,they are not used for any other “routine” procedures, so we have a limited supply of these N95 masks for the express purpose of managing an outbreak within our centers"

my Q. : What if I grow taller and can't wear it anymore!

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Being on that Japan ship has got to be intense. I feel like this is en entire premise for a zombie movie.

12. malakas

malakas Member

These wild animals markets are common all over Asia. It is not only China. And nothing seems to have changed over there.

Here is footage of a market in Sulawesi, Indonesia.

If I saw that right, these were bats on a stick. Souvlaki bats.

Dont click if you are faint of heart..
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...es-bats-possums-sold-openly-Wuhan-market.html

I am not going full PETA ...BUT Whoever son of a b**** likes to watch animals beaten with hammers and torched alive for tourism needs to be rounded up by police and sent to an asylum asap.

Whatever happens to humans, we deserve every single bit of it.

Now bats and pangolins that are almost driven to extinction, are taking their revenge.

https://www.inkstonenews.com/health...rkets-selling-bats-and-snakes/article/3049324

Ottomaton likes this.
  13. likestohypeguy

Cabin Fever

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watched a video of people on that ship complaining that it was dangerous to be locked up with all the sick people and they thought they should be allowed to leave.

Someone should explain to these people that they are the danger and they are on that ship to protect the rest of us from them.

If they really aren't sick they are basically the healthy tissue on the gangrenous limb that has been amputated, to save the body from sepsis.

#494 Ottomaton, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    BigM and malakas like this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just sink them bois.

16. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

KingCheetah and daywalker02 like this.
  17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

And so it begins.

18. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

That is actually why quarantines exist. I'm not making this stuff up. You take the group that may have been exposed and let the sickness burn itself out, like building a firebreak around a fire.

malakas likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Why wouldn't you just start throwing the "sick", anyone who coughs, overboard?

If you're gonna be serious about it and all...

20. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

The Japanese are actually caring for them. Nobody is getting murdered. They send in nurses and doctors all done up head to toe in protection to take throat swabs and care for everybody. Its just if you get sick, you get sick on the ship, instead of in a crowded movie theater filled with people who haven't been exposed. When they get sick, there is still only a minuscule chance of death, and that same chance of death would be there if they were out and walking around in public.

The reason you don't just let people out, is because people can be exposed, but not showing symptoms.

malakas likes this.