1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Cost for re-signing Shumpert?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets retaining Shumpert is something they need to do. Morey just needs to get "market value" on him. They need his "salary" on the books to be a tradable asset. And the "market value" contract would make him movable, versus a negative asset.

Relativist and kubli9 like this.
  2. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

really, we sweating over if shump will be back next season?? Come on now... yall act like he's the 6th man of the year or something.

J.R. likes this.
  3. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

To Carl's point, our recent success makes the tax avoidance even more frustrating. This is a team that upper-management clearly didn't think was worth going "all-in" for. It's awesome that we're playing well, but at the end of the day, instead of trying to get better at the deadline, we focused on tax avoidance, and actually gave up assets to duck the tax.

I still haven't lost hope on Shumpert, I actually thought he played a really solid first half yesterday, though it looked like he rolled an ankle/re-aggravated something. Having said that, at this point, the difference between Shump and Knight hasn't been enough to warrant disposing of a first round draft pick, AND tradeable salary for this offseason. Cyber said Jimmy Butler is Morey's target this offseason ... I'm not sure how that happens now.

I'm very much enjoying the run we're on now. But it's still perfectly reasonable, imo, to be frustrated with the way the trade deadline played out. We may never know how good this team really could have been.

Carl Herrera and pippendagimp like this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I act like he's the guy we spent a 1st round pick on.

5. BigBum

BigBum Member

Shumpert's market value is Vet Min. It's not worth to give him vet min. He is not a sexy asset.

#45 BigBum, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    J.R. likes this.
  6. biff17

biff17 Member

Do you really know how many 1st round picks have minimal value to a NBA team?

Do you just think all day about what thread I can start to get CF's into a tizzy?

#46 biff17, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No offense to you, but I don't care to participate in armchair GMing. I only posted in this thread to call out @Carl Herrera because all he does is make negative posts about Tilman and the Rockets. Go look at his profile and it's post after post bringing up something about "Tilman is cheap" that really isn't necessary most of the time. It's always a schtick with this guy, it was about PPat before, now it's Tilman and it's getting old. Get a life Carl.

sirbaihu likes this.
  8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Along these lines, I wonder about re-signing Shump to a deal with a significant proportion of non-guaranteed dollars. The primary goal would be to have some tradable salary on the books. If moved or waived by the appropriate deadlines, maybe it wouldn't count for luxury tax purposes?

9. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

But they won't be paying repeater tax next year. In 2020, they will dip below the tax again if possible. This is the problem with an owner that is a billionaire without liquid cash willing to spend on a team. He wants the Rockets to be self-sustaining as a business, and that ain't gonna happen if they are in the tax every year.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This makes the Shumpert trade even lamer. Knight would have been better expiring salary next season, and we have less assets to throw in a trade with said salary because of the Shumpert trade.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

you act like it was a lotto 1st round pick, yeah definitely thread worthy. But to answer your Q with a Q, would you rather have Shump or House? I'm sure we can only bring 1 of the 2 back.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

oh yeah, you act like we strike gold on every freakin late 1st rounder. Likely outta every 10 late first round picks, we'll get a capela, same deal with a 2nd round gem like parsons

14. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Signing Shump is critical but not for the player for the salary. Cap hold for shump is roughly 13 million. Meaning we can go up to that number to retain him. Let’s be for real shump will take a 1 year 13 mill easy even if he knows he’s being traded. The best case scenario I see playing out involves cybers newest rumor.

Offseason:
    1) harden and cp3 get in butlers ears. Telling him not to resign with philly where he’s being mismanaged and getting 4th option treatment. Add to the fact multiple media members reporting slight tension between him and brown.

2) butler leaks he’s walking

3) approaches Sixers he walks or he opts in for a trade to rod

4) Sixers agree to deal with rox retain assets instead of losing butler for nothing and possibly to an eastern team.

5) rox can offer ego and nene. BUT I’d offer snt shump at 11.1-13 and nene and 4 FRP. This deal would hard cap Sixers at apron but they are nowhere near 138 mill apron and they recoup a haul of 4 picks expiring shump ( who by Cba rules would have non Guaranteed deals in years 2 and 3 for being in a snt). This deal doesn’t hard cap rox since jimmy opts in and trades

6) rox have shown to cp3 they’re loyal and stick to work. We have set precedent for this strategy to butler.

7) really think we can get Faried or someone better for backup. Bigs/4s/hybrid 3-4s this offseason include. Roll, Dedmon, McGee , deandre, brolo, Wilson chandler, Millsap, morrisX2, Jan green, Aminu. All these guys can be seen as better gets than Faried. Only so much cap to go around. I’m confident we can get Faried or someone on his level at vet min

8) think green stays at vet min. Beg rivers for vet min
    9) leaves TPMLE ( cannot use non tax since it would put us over apron) for someone to go after.

10) flexibility to trade ego/hart/Clark for another long term deal or player.

In short I think it’s vital to retain shump for future flexibility. Need that contract

15. BigBum

BigBum Member

Fantasy!
    Give Shumpert big money and Trade Shumpert for Butler.
    Keep Gordon and Faried, Sign free agents
    Roll, deandre, Millsap, morrisX2, Jan green, Aminu

Reality: None of these free agents will come.

16. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

1st round picks are worthless now ?! LOL

17. Chamillionaire

Yeah but I understand why it was done this year and we're still right there. Perhaps there wasn't a player this year that we could have gotten that would have been worth going over for.

18. amaru

amaru Member

Harden

DreamShook likes this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets got better AND avoided the taxes..

20. thekad

thekad Member

Wait wait wait you think swapping Ennis and picks for Shumpert made the Rockets better?

Hahahahahahahahah