1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Correct Poll] Battier or MadMax as the best wing defender in Rockets history?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 16, 2018.

?

Battier or MadMax

1. Shane

72 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Vernon

89 vote(s)
    55.3%
  1. JW86

JW86 Member

How nobody has brought up the different eras and physicality allowed is mind boggling. Any discussion without taking that fact into account is pointless. @Ziggy literally 1 minute prior to my post did it, was busy making my argument :)

Mad Max with these rules? He would foul out in a half easily. Give Battier the rules of the 90s and he’d probably have given plenty of stars fits. To me you cannot compare the two, Max is being overrated and Battier underrated in here that’s for sure.

Max was very active and couldn’t get tired, a solid 1-on-1 defender but he was far from a great defender who stopped top talent from getting their numbers. He did well against MJ but that was also because of Dream!

#61 JW86, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Nobody? How about on the previous page?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...n-rockets-history.294548/page-3#post-12073431

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Was just thinking how good Shane would fit on this current squad.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Its Shane all the way for me and he played in an era where the rules of hand checking did not exist and much more versatile of a defender as well.

5. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

But cant shoot 3s to save his life when it counts in the playoffs. That man was straight trash when playing for the rockets in the playoffs.

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

Maxwell hands down.Just for the people he had to guard.

7. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

This team needs warriors. I'll take that risk.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

Ah my bad, you nailed it. Even in that era Max got quick fouls and indeed overplayed his man. People really with the nostalgia goggles here, Max was from perfect and would not have been loved by most people on this board on plenty of nights. Remember Beverley picking up silly fouls? Remember streaky shooters like Rafer? Max shot us out of games plenty of times and he went on his little personal revenge path where if his man scored he would go the other end and make sure he got him back. The most important part is Dream though! Go watch those Bulls games and you’ll see Dream’s presence forcing MJ into bad shots, not Vernon.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Whenever we compare players across eras, people inevitably romanticize the older generations. It has already been pointed out that Maxwell had the benefit of hand check rule and Hakeem behind him. What nobody has mentioned yet is that Maxwell quit the Rockets at his prime (28), while Battier started his career with the Rockets at the age of 28. By the time Shane was into the second or third season with us (those memorable playoffs games against Kobe), he had already lost a step.

Maxwell is kind of like Artest. He is crazy and can get into opponent's head. But they are not always reliable. They maybe better one-on-one defender than Battier, but if the game was on the line and I needed a stop against the other team's best player, I'd take prime Battier.

That said, if you talk about defenders not named Hakeem, the Chuckwagon will always have a place in my heart.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

24/7? He was completely invisible against the Jazz in the 7 game series. Non-factor. AK47 was doing on both ends of the floor what we expected Shane to do.

11. bj3175

bj3175 Member

lol

12. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Jordan vs max numbers compared to battier vs Kobes numbers head to head should clear up this argument

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He was the 4 Non Blondes of NBA.

One Game Wonder.

14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I vote Von Waffer.

15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

You miss the part where I said Max was the better player!?

My argument with you is that you said Battier was a "scrub" that contributed nothing to those two Heat titles... You're wrong, accept it and move on.

16. AB423

AB423 Member

Ryan Bowen

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I haven't watched mad max play so can't comment.

However Ariza owns Battier easily c'mon bro. And if we are talking about in their prime Metta World Peace was a star in his prime and also a better defender than Shane "Teflon Don" Battier.

18. Game7

Game7 Member

Vernon was my first favorite basketball player. He made me love watching basketball.
    The most important wing defensive play in Rockets history is Hakeem blocking Starks tho.

19. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

I voted Maxwell because he was not just skilled at it but hugely athletic which is a big difference between the two.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Vernon was obviously far more gifted physically but Battier was a very smart defender. I'm curious how their numbers compare. I'd take Vernon just for entertainment purposes.