1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conley wants to play with Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #CTCJET, May 5, 2016.

1. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

10000% agree with this. And if that PG is Mike Conley? Sign me up. I think he fits very, very well next to Mr. Harden.

2. csc177

csc177 Member

Stop it.

We were all here saying the same thing about Ty Lawson last year. Conley needs the ball - will not work, unless we change our system with a new coach.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Lawson sucked because of Lawson, not because of our system or that he was a PG.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

understandable but its not too wild to think the system is going to likely change a bit especially with a new coach definitely coming in at some point.

5. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

This must be the reason why Ty excelled in Indy and struggled in Houston.

6. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

The system is not going to change as long as Morey is still the GM...system = shoot as many 3s as possible and let Harden drive to the basket to draw fouls. If you're open from mid-range, you better not shoot it or your minutes will get cut...have anyone noticed how Beasley started to shoot more 3s in April and in the playoffs??? This system has FAILED us...:mad:

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

While I definitely agree its a guard driven league and has been I don't agree you need another great guard. I think Pg is fine with a bev style 3nD guy. But we DEF need a second great perimeter player. And I think that's more likely to be found at the 3 instead of the 1. Most 3s that can make plays and facilitate don't have to have the ball in order to be effective, whereas most pgs who make plays and facilitate need the ball in order to be effective.

And with harden I think that's a subtle difference that is key. That's why parsons was so good with us and next to harden because he could facilitate and slash and make plays with and without the ball, compared to a Conley who is used to controlling the ball.

Never the less my complaint about conley isn't that him and harden couldn't work together because I think they can and I think it would be a good fit. My complaint is having to pay an aging borderline star with recent injury history to a max contract that he likely can't live up to and becomes a cancerous contract.

D-rock likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm fine with that if you go that direction where our 3 position is upgraded with versatility in the same regards to the other guard position next to harden assuming our 3 stayed the same. I think that can work as well but only in that example. The post was assuming our 3 spot remains the same with Ariza

9. basketballholic

Trade for Rubio. Clear out capspace in the process. Sign Batum or Chandler. Re-sign Dwight and DMo. Sign Cole Aldrich as cheap backup 5. Draft Levert and Brogdon in the second.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

How many unprotected firsts will Minny offer to dump Rubio after they finally acquire an NBA quality PG?

Rubio could be a respectable backup to Bev if he works hard this offseason.

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Go back to the Lin thread where you belong. K thx.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The problem is that the analysis would basically show you that the Rockets need to improve at PG, SF, PF and C.

Lol.

It's hard to prioritize at one versus the other because they need help in all spots.

If I had to prioritize, I'd almost work backwards.

Center - least focus. The Rockets seemed to play as well without Dwight as with him. Bet on Capella year 3 improvement. Bet on the fact that centers are so much less important than they used to be.

Small forward - despite a down year, Ariza is still a pretty solid role player, is still an above average defender who would get better in a real system, and is the best non-Harden contract on the team. Upgrade here if its what you get in FA, but not a priority.

That leaves PG and PF... as have been the problem for a while.

I'd say power forward is the biggest priority. The Rockets are at such a huge disadvantage at this position against so so so so so many teams. teams that have PFs that can be great, that can be really good going small as SF, or going big as PF. And Harden seems to excel when paired with a PF that "works", even remotely. See Josh Smith in 14/15. See here and there with Beasley in 15/16. Give me a Beasley who can rebound and play defense, lol. The problem is this guy doesn't exist. While I once hoped it could be Horford, I'm just not sure about him any more. Weak rebounder. Age starting to show.

Point guard is right behind. I do think PBev can hold down the fort if the rest of the team improved. But if Conley expresses a real desire to join the team, how on earth do you not pursue that aggressively?

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Why don't you put up your insider source trade targets in your sig like you used to?

Names like Josh Harrellson and Spencer Dinwiddie LMFAO

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ty did not excel in Indiana........

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic......

16. basketballholic

I could. But there's a bigger issue. Really doesnt matter who we trade for or sign unless we get a player to trigger the offense from the top. Because as long as Harden is running the offense from the top we aren't going to win a championship.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Big question is if Harden is willing to give up the rock or does he intend to continue dribbling the air out of the ball?

What do your sources say about this?

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Mauri!!! :grin:

19. basketballholic

Hearing he is going to give da rock to Khloe becuz she makes him dwibble, dwibble, dwibble.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

OOPS. Reading through the thread, I thought that was a response to Larsv8's post. Owned.