1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Red Rowdy Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 00rocketgirl, Dec 29, 2010.

1. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

If you don't believe a loud, supportive crowd gives a team a home field advantage, then you're nuts.

I'm not saying us chanting directly influences players, but the atmosphere the rowdies help cultivate (which did not exist at Toyota Center before) definitely gives the Rockets a home field edge.

1 person likes this.
  2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

If you like cheese and whine with your sporting events, may I suggest polo? Otherwise, just skip sports altogether and head to the ballet. You may enjoy the men in tights. They wear tights in Football too but it's just so dawgone loud there. Yea the ballet would do it for you.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

5. htownrocketman

I know man right??? These d-bags are exactly the type of people I would rather not be around.. Why dont yall pansies just stay home? It would make it a much better experience for us REAL fans...

6. Peanut07

Peanut07 Member

I'm all for being loud and making a home field advantage for the team, but the rowdies suck. Most of the time the crowd annoys them so they are just chanting by themselves. The crowd gets loud by themselves and the rowdies have zero effect on that. Plus thinking players miss free throws because your chanting brick wall is laughable. Also, cheering in the middle of the anthem when they say Rockets is disrespectful, its like chanting "sooners" or something of that effect at the end of the anthem.

7. Ryan02GT

Ryan02GT Member

You don't have to make yourself and your organization look like a fool to be a "REAL" fan

8. landryMVP

landryMVP Member

I had tickets up waaaaaay up top against the raptors tonight, me and my buds were being loud and got upgraded tickets to sit with the rowdies! Best time of my life and best way to ring in the new year! Haters gonna hate, but those haters can just keep their mouths shut. The rowdies deserve more respect and are here to stay!!!! GO ROCKETS AND ROWDIES!!!

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I really would like to know which poster the Asian guy is...funny :grin:.

Interesting to see that you being a bitter jerk extends past the D&D.

Also, and most importantly - rocketgirl - nice article! I always see you when I watch the home games on International League Pass Broadband. You are a real fan. Nice beatdown of this josh idiot, too :cool:.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

That dude is not a rowdy this year, he's an alternate. He, by far, is one of my favorites!

The Rowdies got mentioned in the Toronto star.

I got this from Clutch's tweet.

http://bit.ly/dLTy2L

So yeah, they're doing a fine job if an "international" paper is mentioning it.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If your definition of being a "real" fan is just watching all the games and caring about your team, sure. But I think being a fan includes understanding that basketball games are not golf.

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

people need to stop accusing those who aren't consistently yelling at the games of not being real fans...

13. fallenphoenix

yea, i sat infront of them last year for the lakers game. i don't have a problem with the red rowdies existing. i love hearing fans cheer, but i just don't want a drum banging in my ear the whole game. i just make sure i'm not sitting near them, no big deal.

14. dianap07

dianap07 Member

"too loud"? wow, thanks for the compliment!!! that's exactly what we like to hear! :D

15. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

used to be a red rowdy last season... unfortunately, i couldn't be a full-timer (I was a shoe-in for about a game or two) but the experience was great! No complaints here! :D I will always be a Loyal-Die-Hard Rockets fan til I die! :D

John

[​IMG]

16. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

I think saying that a chant directly influences a shot falling or rimming out is a stretch, but energy counts for a lot, and that's what the Rowdies provide. The vast, VAST majority of fans in the arena love the rowdies and that's clear by their reaction during the pregame romp through the arena. You're completely entitled to your own opinion, but I think you're in a very small minority.

Fair enough, but to complain about a group of loud, energetic, passionate fans that get FREE SEASON TICKETS for dedicating themselves to their team... that's just hating. People are either envious or looking for something to complain about.

I don't think complaints about fans that don't consistently yell should be directed at individual fans, but there is a very, very valid complaint about the Houston sports scene in general. The reason the Red Rowdies exist is because Jeff Van Gundy was sick of quiet, disinterested fans. He may not have gotten out of the first round, but isn't a consistent 50-win team enough for this town to get excited about?

I understand that Houston will never be like Boston or New York, which have diehards even when their team is in the toilet -- but to cultivate that atmosphere by rewarding the most passionate fans is a step in the right direction.

If you don't like it, you're better off watching at home. Drinks are cheaper, anyway, tough guy.

1 person likes this.
  17. fallenphoenix

are you saying this to me? if you are i don't know what i said to make you think i'm trying to be a "tough guy" or that i'm complaining about people cheering. i actually said that i like it when people cheer and i cheer during the games myself.

18. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Pretty much directed at anyone that trash-talks the Rowdies. Don't take it personal.

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

And people need to stop accusing the Rowdies of being a-holes just because they themselves wouldn't do what the Rowdies do. It takes all kind to make the world go around. If everybody acted the same, it'd be a boring world ...much like Toyota Center was prior to the Rowdies. ;)

What the Rowdies do have ZERO impact on your daily life. Just live and let live. If you go to a game (big IF for you haters) and you sit by the Rowdies and your little ears hurt, Customer Service will gladly relocate you so you can be "civilized" and sip your whine somewhere else.

Your age is showing. Houston fans have been doing this at Rocket games since at least the championship years and maybe longer.

20. Peanut07

Peanut07 Member

My age of 21 is showing? Cool

You can be loud and not dress like an idiot and parade around like your the best fans there. I'm there cheering like crazy for the ROCKETS, not more interested in being put on the big screen or TV.