1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth Issues and Trade Possibilities with BimaThug

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 22, 2014.

1. dtrain0928

dtrain0928 Member

i would love for us to snag Mason Plumlee from Brooklyn, hes been struggling this year under Hollins and would be a very nice big off the bench for us.. idk if its even possible but just thought id put it out there

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

How is Jennings' defense like this year? Who will be the Pistons PG starter if he leaves?

3. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

The trade exception cannot be used in conjunction with another player for salary fits, but outside that tidbit, this is a horrible trade.

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

Very informative podcast. Great job guys!

Since the NBA trade deadline is February 20th, that means IF we want to acquire a player from the trade exception and then subsequently package said player in another trade, the initial TE trade must be done no later than December 20th.

So the timing of when the Rockets decide to use their TE will mean a lot. If it's after Dec 20th, we intend on keeping this player as a rotational player for this year's playoff team.

5. craguin

craguin Member

Dalembert has been splitting minutes at center with Jason Smith due to Andrea Bargnani being out since the season opener [strained right calf or hamstring]. Cole Aldrich gets spot minutes.

Mozgov is viewed as an improving player on a value contract. Denver should hang onto him...

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

With the question marks with Lopez's health and KG retiring I would think, if I was their GM, that I need to hold onto Plumlee long term, and develop him a little. He might be all you can get your hands on for the next couple of years. I'm not sure if Id want to bring Lopez back regardless. The guy cannot stay healthy.

But i dunno... Brooklyn marches to the beat of a different drum.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Would love him here, but the Nets may want more...or for us to take back a bad contract?

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

great to hear Bima on the pod again, nice work Clutch ending his suspension ;)

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

? did Bima get suspended like Bill Simmons?

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mozgov would be sweet but no way Nuggets give him young cheap productive 7 footer? Would Houston give him up if in Denver's position, course not. Kirilenko would a nice piece and great fit but how much depth would we lose to clear room room for him?

11. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

They are pretty rough on dmo in the podcast. To be fair he's played significantly better the last two games since the podcast was made. Not that he's amazing but he's not doing too bad now considering the circumstances

12. rocketsmetalspd

How about going after Sanders from the Bucks? Don't know what the Bucks would want in a trade or IF they are waiting till the trade deadline to make some moves.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm torn here . I've always liked dmo and recently he has been putting it all together ; adding offense to his already consistent defense . The potential of a dmo, Dwight, and jones big rotation sounds awesome. Both dmo and Dwight can handle 5 and out of the 96 min at big spots I want each of those players to take almost all of them . Papa/ James can play 4 if we want to go small for a bit. Theoretically that rotation sounds great. Backup bigs will be expensive and won't or shouldn't play many minutes with the other 3 healthy.

The problem is that they aren't healthy right now . Jones injury is the most troubling. I think if he can come back around the new year then we shouldn't need to make a trade . We can then evaluate up to the trade deadline. Making a trade is going to cost us assets and potentially weaken us somewhere else. In the playoffs it comes down to your 9 or 10 man rotation. You don't HAVE to go big to counter big teams. In fact no matter who we can realistically pick up it's likely that trying to match big for big will result in us playing to the other teams strengths. Dwight is undersized as is and is best off pnr and using his quickness. Jones abuses smaller players and is a great handler/slasher at the 4, and dmo is excellent in the post. Each of our bigs is a good rebounder and plays at least good defense.

I really like that rotation if it's fully healthy , I think McHale can mix and match bigs based off situation/ personnel. They have a high enough potential that if jones is coming back they need to try just that rotation (with each getting about 30 min ).

Depth is an issue, but any trade you make will be essentially for depth . Bigs are costly, it just seems like an inefficient move to make . It might be necessary if jones can't come back within a month , but if Howard can come back in a week or so we might be able to squeeze by playing papa minutes at the 4 and giving black/ Dorsey 15 a game.

14. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Don't see the rockets being able to get Milsap for a trade. It will have to wait till offseason as a free agent. Rockets want to use their TPE for any trade whether a PG, Backup C, or PF. This eliminates Milsap all together since i don't believe they want to trade a haul for Milsap knowing he can leave, thus the risk of it being a rental.

15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Agree. Against the bigger PFs, we can have DMO play more minutes like LMA or Dirk. TJones can come off the bench in those games.

16. rurban

rurban Member

Still? I'm convinced that he is now better than TJ

17. bongman

bongman Member

I've always liked Dmo and very glad that he is feeling much more relaxed out there. To me, this is where he took a huge step. You rarely see the rushed shots, fouling like crazy,etc. He knows exactly what his role is and he has done it very well.

Not sure about changing the starting lineup though. We can always have TJ start and watch for about 3-4 minutes and check how he does defensively, then take him out or let him stay a bit. With TJ, he probably has a better chance of drawing one foul from his matchup. Getting a quick foul in the first quarter is huge.