1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: On Corey Brewer's Debut and the Looming Josh Smith Signing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

^^^ I don't care if the 6th man can't play D good, just need someone who takes pride in getting buckets and can control the ball off the bench that can push ball on breaks with brewer.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Rockets are hard capped and Les is willing to spend but not pay luxury tax. No space left to trade less salary for more.

3. hopn

hopn Member

Just got back from lunch, had some time to digest the podcast. I do agree that for the money, risk is low with great upside in getting Smith. As far as Shved is concern, would love to give him more time to see how he gels with the team. WE NEED the height at his position. Send Nick Johnson back to the D League. Love the kid, but he's not ready for the NBA yet. I hate giving up DMo, he's doing so well, he will only get better, we should keep him.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

First, another AWESOME podcast by Clutch and MK. These are must listen, every time!

Second, as it relates to DMo....he has really risen in my eyes and it's great to see him really develop. He isn't untouchable by any means, but whereas before, I was fine with moving him for Dragic, now, it gives me pause. I have fallen in love with DMo's post game and the balance he brings the offense when Howard is on the bench.

I am not saying "no" to a Dmo for Dragic centric trade, but I might be pulling back and trying to see if I could make the Dragic deal with other assets to keep DMo in our bigs rotation.

From the Rockets perspective, I wonder what THEY value more, DMo (as he is now), or the NOP pick? If they do value DMo more, then moving the NOP pick + Shved + Capella etc for Dragic is the move. For PHX that is basicaly 2 1st round picks.

That would leave you with...

A BIG rotation of: Howard/DMo/JSmith/TJones/Black

A Swingman rotation of: Harden/Ariza/Brewer/KPap

A PG rotation of: Dragic, Beverley, JTerry, Johnson, Canaan

That would be marvelous!

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This team, as constructed currently, wouldn't even get to the Western Conference Finals. We lack a second scorer, a point guard behind Beverley that can give you 20 minutes of solid play in the playoffs, and another big not named Dorsey or Black. You HAVE to continue to tweak when you're so close, but still lack certain pieces. You NEVER rest on your laurels. The Josh Smith and Goran Dragic situations speak to that directly.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Like they mentioned in the podcast, when Harden is on the bench or even off his game, this team struggles offensively. The upside is the defense is more improved so the Rockets can stay in games in these situations but they won't go far in the playoffs this way.

The team needs a 2nd dynamic scorer. Someone that can generate offense, create shots off the dribble when the team is bogged down.

Dragic would help immensely!

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I dont see the problem with Smith simply coming off the bench. He is such a low risk on the pay side that if he doesnt like it you trade him later.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I was surprised at MK Bower's analysis that Josh Smith would fit in nicely with the rest of the team, if D-Mo was traded for Goran.

Everyone knows how inefficient Smith is, and there is no doubt that he has lost a lot of his athleticism too. I think Josh will still clang shots, even with Harden and Goran on the roster.

It's too much to expect him to play near the basket and provide much defensive/ rebounding.

If he was still athletic and explosive, it would have made some sense in signing him with the BAE. I just don't think Smith can get the job done.

It would be much better to try to trade for Brandon Wright, and retain D-Mo.

Alternatively, D-Mo could be moved for Goran if Wright comes cheaply( a difficult thing to pull off IMO).

9. basketballholic

We've got a second scorer, a point guard behind Beverley that can give us 20 minutes of solid play in the playoffs. We're just not playing him anymore.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Dmo for dragic is an upgrade. Not a tweak.

11. downbytheriver

Still have to worry about scoring. Brewer and Josh Smith bring the intangibles, great hustle and fly all over the court, but they don't create, nor are they a consistent scoring threat.

So yes, the Dragic acquisition is paramount and giving up the natural 3rd option who I see as a 2nd option in terms of scoring by the time the playoffs roll around (Monti). . . is really a worst case scenario. But if you got to do it, you do it and then go with the core of Dragic,Harden and Howard with role players who step in and do their thing. It makes a huge difference for others when a guy like Dragic can handle the ball and be consistent.

12. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

He won't be, he'd be starting for us per cyberx. DMo would be coming off the bench to post up on the second string bigs.

13. marky :)

marky :) Member

I'm not saying who's a better player or who's worse but I don't think it would be an upgrade in terms of the Rocket's needs. Yeah Dragic can give us that 2nd dynamic scorer but we also lose our starting/backup PF/C especially since we don't know TJones injury status. To me its essentially were picking and choosing what we want and what we want to give up as a team.

14. pass_to_Hakeem

The way DMo has been playing this season, I'd trade T Jones before Montejunas!

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is obvious that McHale doesn't have much faith in Canaan. And I think it mostly has to do with his defense. It was the same problem with Troy Daniels. And it is why Nick Johnson got those minutes as a rookie. He is a better defender. But, he is still a rookie and makes mistakes and thus McHale looks for the vets to get those minutes.

I too would like to see Canaan get some burn, but would more prefer Dragic. ;-)

16. CCapps

CCapps Contributing Member

put yourself in the other team's shoes. If we were phoenix we would be pissed that our team traded our great pg for a busted, unproven power forward with no timetable to return from his injury.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree.

Goran is perfect for this team. Absolutely perfect. He does everything you want from a guard playing next to Harden. BUT, he is not worth sacrificing our big rotation.

If absolutely necessary, we can live with a guard rotation of Beverley/Harden/whoever. We cannot make it with a big rotation of Howard/Smith/Dorsey. If Dorsey or Black play a single minute for us in the playoffs, we are dead on arrival.

18. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I thought it was super interesting that clutch thought the Rockets will have to give up Dmo, Nop pick and Capela for Dragic. I definitely would do that trade but I think Rockets have a lot of leverage: all indications are Dragic wants to be here, we have a big role for him, we are a contender, we will pay him and we have history. I wouldnt be suprised if we only have up one of the three and other pieces. Great Podcast.

19. basketballholic

So he plays Terry instead.....you know....because Terry is a better defender...

I'd prefer Dragic too. But Dragic isn't a Rocket. Terry and Canaan are Rockets. And there is NOTHING Terry does better than Canaan. Canaan is a better ball handler, a better passer, he sees the floor better, he's a better finisher, a better shooter.............and wait for it..........a better defender.

We are either showcasing Terry or we are preserving Canaan for a trade. Because Canaan is the guy we need on the floor when Harden sits. Canaan should get every minute that Harden is getting a breather. Not Terry. Not Nick Johnson. Not Shved. But Canaan should be getting all those minutes that Harden sits to keep our offense flowing.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Considering the (lack of) leverage PHX has, I do not think the Rockets will have to give up BOTH DMo & NOP pick to get Dragic. And Morey doesn't fall in love with players to the point where he gives up more value than he is getting back. And in this case, I am not so sure it would be a good value play with BOTH of those assets going out.

My guess is Morey will make PHX sweat...and wait things out to the Feb deadline, and force PHX's hand. By then the Thunder will be at the 8 seed moving up and PHX will more clearly see where they are headed...out of the playoffs and with Dragic "OPEN TO TEST THE WATERS" as a UFA.