1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Marcus Morris Highlights - 17 points (career high) vs. Hawks 11/2/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He can't shoot!

Didn't defend!

Just stood there!

Cut him!

Trade Him!

Jones shoots better!

He slept with my mother!

Can't rebound!

Get rid of him!

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

the first to tell you...that I really wasnt high on Morris...but if he can contribute...btwn-9-10 off the bench...not bad Darryl Morey...not bad...

also the fact that he just looked like he was just playing ball and not being overwhelmed by the fact that he is getting minutes...McHale's high on this kid...hope things will pan out for him...GO ROCKETS

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

If he could become a sparkplug off the bench, that would be wonderful. That's the kind of role he's best in if he reaches his ceiling. Basically a poor man's go-to scorer, think Rudy Gay.

Think about it this way: Rudy Gay sucks as a #1 or #2 option among starting NBA players because he's such a chucker. But you put him on the bench and play him against bench players for the majority of his minutes, and suddenly he's a real nice rotation piece.

That's sort of where I see Marcus Morris, and perhaps Royce White in a different way, fitting in.

5. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Morris is a huge beneficiary of having a giant shot-blocking big like Asik behind him. It lets McHale play an undersized 4 like Morris there. Just hope Morris can hit the 3 to stretch defenses.

6. VanityHalfBlack

Proud of this guy, keep fightin!!!!

7. Classic

Classic Member

Nice all around game. Hopefully he has a breakout year an can put up a consistent #s off the bench.

8. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

He had a decent game and horrible previous game. This mean he's back to zero. I still prefer Terrence Jones because Jones does everything better and more.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Here, let me break it down for you.

When I said he's a mismatch for any defender except those in Lebron's class what I mean was.......

If he is being defended by a bigger, longer PF defender, he can be iso'd from the perimeter and he will eat that bigger, longer, PF up going to the basket.

and

If he is being defended by a smaller, weaker player, he can be iso'd on the block and he will chew that defender up.

The only defenders that have a chance to defend him successfully one-on-one are defenders that are similar or superior in size/strength/quickness. That means guys like Lebron. Lebron is probably just a tad bit bigger, a lot stronger, and just as quick or quicker. So he could defend Morris quite well.

Now, Lebron isn't the only guy out there like that. Battier is another guy with similar size/quicks/strength that would probably defend Morris quite successfully. Perhaps Artest would fall into that category too. Those are the types of defenders that could effectively neutralize Morris on any given night if Morris was iso'd against them.

However, bigger, slower defenders like Josh Smith will get killed if they are iso'd on Morris. And smaller, weaker defenders will get killed if they are iso'd on Morris.

Morris has a highly developed offensive skill set and repertoire. You just saw some small pieces of it last night.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wait what? Game 1 was Morris' first start ever. His second game was more than decent. If Jones had performed in Game 1 and 2 like that, you'd be saying he's a future superstar.

Christ people. Morris was our 1st round pick last year, and you just want to toss him away onto the scrap heap. This is a very good first 2 games for him. He is proven he knows how to cut to the basket within the flow and get easy buckets. His defense has surprised me and he fights for boards, and can make the open midrange.

but no, he isn't a rookie anymore so he sucks.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong

Jones doesn't shoot better and may not even score better.

Morris' first game wasn't horrible. He rebounded, defended, moved the ball, spaced the floor. He was only bad at shot selection/execution, but that's the one thing we know will come around soon. The question was, could he do the smaller things? Could he defend? Rebound? He never really did that all of last season, but he is now, consistently. There's more to basketball than shots. He's improved significantly, which is far from being "back to zero."

#51 RV6, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  12. BallWiz

BallWiz Member

We need him he has confidence and looks like a player ready to step up in the clutch when the time calls.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why is there no video of Morris passing. ;)

Seriously, last night gave me back hope for this guy. Hope he can keep this up.

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I really hope Morris turns out to be a solid player for the Rockets. It seems he has more to offer than first meets the eye.

And at the very least, well, one thing he's got going for him is that he's not Terrence Morris.

15. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Love seeing this from him. Keep it up.

16. Convictedstupid

Especially after you we're dogging him after the first game.

17. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

The Lin inspiration right there.

That's the effect Lin is going to have on these guys, being actual proof that you can be at the lowest of lows in your NBA "career" but if you keep at it, stay focused, work hard, keep the faith, better days are sure to come.

He looked polished offensively out there.

He looked good with the elbow jumpers.

I particularly liked how he dribble drove against Josh Smith and nailed it.

He could still benefit from moving well without the ball actively.

But those looks at the 3 pt area are going to be abundant, he has to settle down on his shot.

Keep calm and nail that three Marcus.

I see how he's been called a Poor Man's Carmelo Anthony. He can hurt you all over the floor but without the superior post up back to basket game. (emphasis on Poor Man)

But definitely he's a very useful piece in this rotation.

Man, it's going to be tough for the rookies to get a crack at the rotation or even for minutes.