1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Oct 28, 2014.

1. basketballholic

Don't look now. But Ariza, Terry, Terrence, Capella, Dorsey, and Johnson is enough salary to trade for Amare (and a pick)

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

hmmm the ultimate anti morey move. and do the knicks have a roster capacity of 25 now?

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

What is the point of that trade? The Rockets can trade for just about anybody (short of Kobe or Amare) without dealing Ariza. Amare's not very good, NYK has no picks worth dealing all those guys for, and the Knicks wouldn't pay the necessary price anyway to move a few months of Amare's contract. If this is all to clear cap space, I'm sure Morey could do better cumulatively over several different trades.

You're getting a bit TOO trade-happy there.

1 person likes this.
  4. basketballholic

The point of that trade would be to shuffle Amare off to Philly at the deadline for a huge trade exception.

You trade Ariza to give you cap space going into 2015 if you need it. If you don't need it, you keep the $23 million TPE until next year's deadline. It could come in handy, especially if you still have the Pels pick. And the pick could come from a 3rd team who is taking in guys like Capella/Terrence/2nd rounder. Toronto's got 2 picks in 2016. Getting one of those picks for Capella/Terrence plus taking back perhaps Hayes into the TPE...while combining the rest of the outgoing salaries for Amare....think outside the box.

This deal could be done if:

1. Paps plays well enough to become the starting SF.

2. we use the Lin TPE to take in another player or two or three to balance the trade for NY and any other teams involved.

or

3. if a trade presents itself for a player that is a restricted free agent that Morey feels is a significant player (ala Rubio or possibly somebody else even one of the guys already extended).

Lots of moving parts and just an idea. But a huge TPE going into the 2015 off season along with the Pels pick would be a nice way to play 2015 free agency if you don't actually have the cap space to do so.

Oh...and Ariza...may play himself into first round draft pick territory value...if combined with a youngster like Capella and Terrence or DMo.

By the way, same type of scenario COULD work for Rudy Gay as well, if Sacramento gets a hankering for Deron Williams and Brooklyn is willing to take a few assets from us to get the deal done while we get an asset or two from Sac for being the middle man for Gay's contract before passing him off to Philly for possibly a future first (in 2019) or maybe a couple second rounders.

However Gay's TPE wouldn't be quite as much as Amare's but it would be very large at around $19 million I believe.

Oh, and if Philly won't take either of those guys for the right package of picks...then perhaps we figure out if one of them will sign an extension for bigger max dollars and a small, say $3 million guarantee for 2015-16, so we can use them as trade fodder in 15-16 if we have to work a sign-and-trade.

==================

It's all about options, options, options. This team is not a championship team as constructed. Everybody knows it. We're fooling ourselves thinking we're gonna win a ring this season without a couple more major acquisitions.

And we're entering into a time when the salary cap is going to jump and we need to be able to leverage that into possibly 2 (instead of just 1) superstar/star level players. Because teams like Cleveland already have 3 and are looking for #4. (See the Brendan Hayward contract).

==============================

You don't think I'm actually stupid enough to want Amare or Rudy the players................do you?

#44 basketballholic, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  5. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I just want a simple answer to a simple question: after we did not match Parsons and signed Ariza, did we have the cap space to offer let's say Isaiah Thomas or another good player a contract in the 5-8 million range?

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah, we used that 5-6 million to sign Papa and Jonhson

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

5.305 million was the MLE.

8. haydenfisher342

Moving ariza for cap flex.....hmmmm, we trying to lose ?

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We ultimately got Ariza by sign-and-trade, so we never had cap space. We had the MLE (and used it).

10. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

Yep, I think it was a 3 team deal, basically Ariza for Asik and a 1st, picks to Washington I think, not 100% sure, forget to be honest.

The MLE was used on Johnson and K-Papa.

11. kemah

kemah Member

Ariza is untouchable as trade bait unless we get an even better player from it but never for a hope that we can get someone.

12. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have to be honest, I really wanted them to make an offer for Thomas. I feel like he could have fit really well for this team especially with Pat B seems to get hurt way too often.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Please just stop.

I don't know who you think we'd get with that trade exception, but just close the ESPN Trade Machine and back away from the computer.

"But the Trade Machine is my friend," you retort.

"No. The Trade Machine is nobody's friend. If the Trade Machine were an ice cream flavor, it'd be Pralines...and D**k."

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If Ariza is traded, then I would think this team isn't going to contend this year in the slightest way. He's definitely a vital piece as we speak.

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Thank you for that comment...

16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

[​IMG]

T_Man

17. basketballholic

I haven't been on trade machine in over 10 years. Trade Machine is for amateurs.

18. basketballholic

So if we trade Ariza, DMo, Beverley, and the Pels pick for Paul Millsap and Ricky Rubio we won't contend?

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

pls no mentioning of rubio, alcoholic

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I just do not see what you See in Rubio. And no minus those players and plus those 2 does not make us contenders. I think it may even be a marginal step back.