1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] For Rockets, winning in 2012 would be nice, but losing might be better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 30, 2011.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm really not trying to stir anything with this next post but:

It's weird how Bima and Clutch seem to be on two different spectrum's of how to become competitive once again.

I mean I like Bima's way, but we really don't have many peices as Clutch stated to trade for a true superstar and even with us making it as a 6-8th seed in the West how many other stars would really say "hey, that team ain't too bad, forget playing with Kobe, Melo, or Rose I'd rather play with that scrappy crew" now-a-days. Ya know?

I kinda have to side with Clutch's and the other posters (that have been harping this from the start's) train of thought going into THIS season.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Too close....to what?? You do realize that it's practically impossible to win a NBA title without a star player? Not being a smartass, as you may not realize this (see the best kept secret in the article).

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Ordinarily, the conflict is that Les does not want to sacrifice ticket sales now in hopes of building a championship team in the future. It's a valid conflict -- it is a business. The most loyal fans like us only care about championships, but putting a competitive team on the floor every year ensures the team earns a decent profit.

I hope Les sees that this year is a great opportunity to sacrifice a little now for a brighter future. They've already lost money on the shortened season, and fan interest is probably going to be pretty low. This is the perfect year to take our lumps and get stronger for next year.

1 person likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was trying to figure that out, but I can't really see much. Does New Jersey still have any picks? Maybe Indy?

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He thinks the current roster is capable of winning a championship within 5 years, so in his point of view it would be pretty close.

I honestly don't see how tanking affects our young players in any bit. It's a losing situation that leads to a win-win situation.

In exchange for losing games, we develop your young players and also get closer to a top lottery pick. That's the general idea behind it, and certainly doesn't look so bad if it was just for ONE season.

I mean we watched two mediocre seasons in a row with nothing to look forward to, I think fans can take watching one BAD season with something to look forward to.

1 person likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The TWolves made the WCF, we've never sniffed it.
    They had a MVP in Garnett.

We never had a MVP since Dream. Time for us to get another MVP.

7. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

thanks for the read clutch..totally agree..this season is the one to lose....losing is winning this year, we need to invest in this 2012 draft, not give up our picks. Hopefully we will tank and get one of the top 3 picks.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

I agree, some people here are on prozac. People are predicting a playoff team... without even knowing who the hell is going to be on the team this year!
    (free agency hasn't started yet).

We didn't even come close to sniffing a championship with 2 star players.
    We don't need star players, we need MVPs.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

We got to 3 NBA Finals and won 2 with that Hakeem dude, who happens to be one of the greatest players of all time.

We've never had anyone close to that since then. Yes, NOBODY CLOSE TO THAT. PERIOD.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

In that case, you should start a thread to have Morey replaced with someone else. Rather than complaining about losing. Because if Morey is not a good GM, then the Rockets are going to suck regardless of what their draft picks will be.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The reason i posted that they could win 2 rings within a 5 year period is because we have one of the youngest teams in the league. A young team that played well together after, as poster mentioned, they finally got Yao and AB out of the way.

12. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Dwight Howard, please save us!

Houston is so much better than Brooklyn and Orlando!

You won't even have to play for a racist owner if you commit to Houston!

13. tinman

Supporting Member

What are you smoking dude? You can cure depression with it.

We've won 2 rings in 40 years and that reason for that was that we had incredible teams with a MVP/Hall of Fame/Superhero playing for us.

We got nobody like that now dude.

14. gah

gah Member

I do agree that if there was a season to tank this is the best one (my only gripe with ending the lock out was not having our rumored favourable position in a draft without a season). If we're going to do it, we better shoot for the worst record, and that means having a complete fire sale HP touch pad style -well, maybe not as desperate- I would really hate for us to tank and end up with the 9nth pick in the draft.

I'd imagine that if mgmt was already set on tanking they would not have discounted bringing Motiejunas over, my guess is that they will still go for a move if it makes us better right now (more competitive), and in the future, be it big or small; now, if they go empty handed once again, then tanking is the best short term solution, and I think that is the key as to why, the more is brought up this days, tanking seems more and more sexier.

15. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Trade Scola to Boston for Rasheed Wallace's expiring and their unprotected 1st round pick this year.

Find a way to turn Martin into another lottery pick (probably the best would be in the 6-10 range). Chicago needs him most, but we need a third team involved to get a good pick.

Then play out the season with a lineup of Lowry, Lee, Morris, PatPat, and Hill. In 2012,get a top 3 pick, a late lottery pick with the Martin deal, a mid 1st rounder from NY, and a late 1st rounder from Boston.

We will be good in 2 years and contend in 3.

1 person likes this.
  16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This is a very harsh truth to swallow here. It's against every fiber of my being. You do realize you are telling Americans that it is better to suffer today to prevail tomorrow. It doesn't make sense to us. We think in the here and the now. Max out a credit care for a TV that will be outdated in 6 months? Why not?! Eat fatty and unhealthy even though it can cause a bunch of long term problems? Sure! Sign me up!!

With that said this is the right course. Focus on young talent, trade away cap fillers, and above all lose games... Ugh. The NBA is back!

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think Morey is going to overpay for a young player that is better than what we have but with the loss of the players we trade we are worse off as a team. Hopefully we get a strong core and a top 5 draft pick.

18. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Oh yeah, and Yao can provide the victory champagne.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You aren't even trying to live in reality.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

So what?

You need to do ALOT more than "play well" to win a championship. Look at the Heat, they certainly didn't play as well as they should have and they were closer to than championship than we ever could have been in the last 10 years.

We can play well, that's all nice and stuff, but it's not enough. We need talent, we need very good talent, and very good talent wins championship.