1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[clutchfans archives]Jordan contacts Olajuwon about playing for Wizards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 27, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since its the off-season,
    its fun to look back at the Clutchfans archives.
    Sorry Bulls fans, MJ didn't contact Luc Longley or Bill Cartwright.

Talk about the what ifs?

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/670/jordan_contacts_olajuwon_about_playing_for_wizards/

Jordan contacts Olajuwon about playing for Wizards
    WEDNESDAY, APRIL 25, 2001 3:05 PM CST
    By Clutch
    Copyright 2001 ClutchFans.net
    With Charles Barkley planning on playing for the Wizards if he can lose enough weight, Michael Jordan speculated to return and Hakeem Olajuwon a free agent, this was an eery speculation around these parts with no basis. Now it has something to it. According to a radio report and a source close to the Rockets, Jordan has informally contacted Olajuwon about playing next season in Washington D.C. with the other two former greats. Talk about your "Big Three".

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

That would have been so sexy, in a very disturbing and wrong way.

3. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Mj for the win! NO, Charles the rebound, passes to The Dream, and Dream throws it down on Yao Ming!!

4. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

But Hakeem was still in a good shape to compete on a high level but that would be awful.

One of the greatest players mature enough to be coaches playing in DC for what, money?

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

At that point it wasn't about money, it was about loading on another ring.

6. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

But in those stages of your carrer can you get another ring?

It'd be interesting those two on their positions, playing for any team together.

I think some experts even put these two players as the best ever to play on their position and they really do have right.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Just by reading the things Mike has said about Dream it's obvious that he thought Hakeem was the best center during that era but I also get the feeling he felt that Dream was the best player (other than himself) of their era.

I think the addition of Barkley and Dream would not have made much difference for the Wizards (dudes were OLD) and I'm glad it didn't happen but the story automatically makes me conjure up the image of Dream and MJ together in their primes. I know some people have asked if they could have co-existed and I think it would have been absolutely no problem.

What? 10, 11, 12 Championships?

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Thats why I'm not to keen on comparisons of old teams with teams of the modern era. Back then, building a dynasty was easier, more possible and plausable, now, it's hard to even get a team of three greats together. I think the old celts and lakers are quite over rated because there really wasn't any competition, as well as the league didn't have far the restrictions it has now. Oh well.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

that MJ team had a young Richard Hamilton, christian laettner, tyron lue

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Would have made a great story.

[​IMG]

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Or they would be the over-the-hill gang in basketball. :D
    Trivia points, hehe

12. tinman

Supporting Member

this would have been a sweet farewell tour for the class of 84. Instead Dream got stuck with that showboat Vince Carter.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

They would a have made the playoffs and from there, who knows. Hakeen + MJ back in the playoffs for one final push? It would have been special. MJ damn near lead them to the playoffs that first year but he but hurt towards the end of the season.

14. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

But in the era of great Spurs and Lakers I just can't see that team winning anything past 1st round.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

An old Hakeem > Jahadi White

PG Lue
    SG Hamilton
    SF Jordan
    PF Barkley
    C Hakeem

for one year for the last farewell tour? Remember, pre-injury old Charles could still rebound and was impossible to move out of the paint.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They wouldn't face those teams until the finals. :confused:

17. tinman

Supporting Member

the problem Jordan had in his Wizards years is that the only low post presence they had was him. Jahadi White sucks. The best thing he was known for getting dunked on by Steve Francis.

the problem Dream had in his late years is that he never got the ball. Once we got Steve and Cutino, Dream never saw the Spalding or the NBA David Stern Signature on the leather. then he went to Toronto which he never saw the ball either

Richard Hamilton back in the day wasn't as a complete player but still a reliable shooter.

I think Dream and Jordan would have complimented each other.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

This the Dream response

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0608/1211243.html

Olajuwon, who was named one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history in 1997, told Bloomberg News on Thursday that he would also be interested in joining Jordan next season if the former Bulls star decides to make a comeback with the Wizards. Olajuwon, who has played for the Houston Rockets his entire career, is a free agent.

"I'd certainly like to play with him. Who wouldn't?" Olajuwon said during a telephone interview. "It's intriguing. I know there's a lot of reports saying that Michael is coming back, but I'm not sure what's going to happen."

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't think the Dream would have been the answer to that teams' problems.

I still don't understand why everyone hated MJ playing in Washington IMO he was still a very good player, maybe not the great all star or GOAT he was before but most players play til their much worse than he was.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

there were two camps who hated him
    1. bulls fans who were stuck with a crap team
    2. nba 'purists' who thought he tarnished his legacy because his last performance was so memorable

yes, MJ was still better than most players but MJ freaks can't fathom seeing him playing on the Wizards and on a bad team. they didn't want to see him losing or not make the playoffs or get outvoted by Vince Carter in the all star game

Did he play past his prime? yeah. so did Dream, Magic, Larry Bird, Dominique and Barkley

i think it was more of the love of the game that made the old school legends play too long.