1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

clips shopping olawakandi ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mulder, Jan 3, 2000.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

"Kandi probably deserves a similar contract as Cato..."

Please explain?? What has he done? Kandi is decent, but not very athletic from what I've seen. At least Cato has extended playoff experience and his athleticism going for him. Others have mentioned Kandi's lack of footwork. The man would definitely be a project, but possibly worth trading for I agree.

"I live in LA and know quite a few Clipper fans."

WOW, you mean there actually are Clippers fans!!?? Sorry I couldn't resist!

------------------
    We don't need no stinking badges!!! We need some stinking WINS!!!

2. BornRocketRed

BornRocketRed Member

All I can say is that when I read that Cato was injured (his wrist is sore) and he is questionable for tonight's game (we HAVE to play him) my stomach dropped.

WHO do we have as a legitimate backup for Cato in the future? We need someone with a similar playing style who can cut and mesh with our creative backcourt. I'm not sure that this trade would be the answer.

3. popeye

popeye Member

Good thread guys.

Drew
    IMHO Drew is a good backup PG. But I fear that is all he ever will be. That is not bad. Good PG are hard to come by, and he has a lot of other attributes. He is coachable, has a couple of unique and effective scoring abilities and has worked considerably on gamyear. I also think he will probably stay healthy and still be playing long after Francis, Mobes, and Anderson have retired.

Needs
    All that being said. We have pressing needs elsewhere. If someone's ability was the only deciding factor in whether someone was traded or not, then we would still have Othella, Dickerson, B.Price (who we surely need more than anyone right now, dang, did I say that????), not to mention Horry, Mad Max, Thorpe, etc...

Right now we are two players (maybe one strong offensive forward) away from making a respectable run at a playoff spot. Drew is not protected from a trade for any of these needs.

The Real Core Of This Team
    The core of this team is decidedly: Francis, Cuttino, Shandon, Hakeem. And, I think maybe Carlos is ahead of Cato, and K.Thomas ahead of Hamilton, Bull, and TMass. Drew is an afterthought and his role while not less defined, it is absolutely not as integral a spot to fill as others.

The easy way to determine everyone's value to this team is to ask yourself this question: If this player got injured right now ... (1) How hurt would we be by not having him on the roster for the rest of the season? ... & ... (2) How difficult woould it be to replace his role with the team right now?

4. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

[/i]Please explain?? What has he done? Kandi is decent, but not very athletic from what I've seen. [/i]

I think 5 mil for a solid big man is a reasonable price. Kandi has done nothing but put up good stats whenever he's been healthy just like Cato. He's athletic enough to alter the post with his blocking ability. Right now, he's a good rebounder, blocks pretty well, and has some offensive moves. Basically he's nothing more than a dikembe. Provides rebounds, blocks, and don't depend on him to score 30 pts a game.

Remember, this guy just started playin b-ball. With a little work from the Rockets staff he can be a consistent Dikembe.

WOW, you mean there actually are Clippers fans!!?? Sorry I couldn't resist!

Yep quite a few. Many very excited that Clippers for once picked someone good. They think they are one PG away and a good year of Kandi from the playoffs.

Popeye:

The only players that would hurt us if we lost them for the whole year would be Francis, Cat, Shandon, Dream, Cato, and Rogers. Everyone else can be replace by a CBA player or free agent.

5. popeye

popeye Member

I agree with that RF34.

But Cato will be even more effective when Hakeem is there to start or spot at the 5. Also having Cato play the 5 and Hakeem the 4 would play havoc with some teams on some nights (a la Duncan/Robinson).

6. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Do you know if Cato or Dream is taller? Dream at 4? Like the idea...I've said this before and I'll say it again. Dream on Duncan, Cato on Admiral. That way Cato doesn't foul out.

I'm just afraid Dream will slow down the running game. At least we finally have a go-to guy in the final minutes.