1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Climate Change] Winter Watch 2015-2016

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

People don't think climate deniers are Nazi. You just didn't comprehend and still refuses to.

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

"Deniers" is a politically oriented term that alarmists constantly use to try to insult, denigrate and de-legitimize people who disagree with them for the purpose of trying to stifle discussion and the expression of dissenting viewpoints on this topic.

The term “deniers” is what people who have denied the holocaust are commonly referred to – as in “holocaust deniers”. By using this term, the AGW alarmists are collectively trying to associate people who have doubts and concerns about this alarmist movement with Adolph Hitler and his murderous campaign against the Jews.

Each and every time they do this, they are invoking Godwin's law, which states that if a discussion goes on long enough, it will eventually devolve to a point where comparisons to the Nazis are made, and whoever invoked the Nazis reference automatically loses whatever debate was in progress.

Since the common leftist name-calling slurs, including "Racist," "Bigot," "Homophobe," "Sexist," and "Misogynist" are clearly out of place here, they had to dig down deep to come up with an insult that was at least as vile and hateful as these other appellations are. The comparison with Hitler and the Nazis is what they have collectively agreed upon.

So these are the tactics that the left has devolved to here.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Note that it said affect on gases and not on climate, or even simpler, on greenhouse effect. Of course, just using relative size has no meaning. But it's popular because it can easily fool folks that have little understanding in climate.

For example, if you have no understanding, you may try 1 gram of cyanide, after all, it's only 0.000001% of your body weight. How can it hurt?

But when you understand that all it takes is as little as 0.3 grams of cyanide to kill you, you wouldn't.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't know where it originate from and I used to be strongly against using that label. Still don't like it that much, but I think it's appropriate in the face of scientific consensus.

And you are reading too much into it. It's climate deniers. Simple as that and nothing else. Absolutely nothing to do with Nazi, racist, bigot, or whatever else.

5. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Seriously? This is the dumbest analogy I think I've seen in some time. CO2 is like cyanide....

You do realize that the effect of CO2 on the atmosphere is logarithmic right? To raise the temperature of the atmosphere 1 degree C you have to take the CO2 content from 200ppm to 400ppm but to get another degree C you have to get to 800ppm and then 1600ppm etc.

But yeah, the cyanide killing people is just like that...

You do realize how stupid the term climate denier is, science denier is one thing but I don't think you will find anyone that denies climate. It is almost as stupid as the term climate change, duh the climate is changing, sheesh.

All of this hysteria is base on climate modeling, none of which has ever correctly predicted anything. Hell they can't even get the weather right most of the time.

Does the church of climate change have an altar?

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Funny how he complains about the use of the term "denier" yet uses the equally charged term "AGW alarmist".

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The thing is, no one can point to what it is I am denying. I don't buy the hype when it comes to these extreme views of climate change - as though humans will be unable to adapt if sea level rises by 3 ft.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No one needs for you to buy the hype.

Your inability to grasp the concepts does not change the underlying consensus.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I did not said CO2 is like cyanide. I said relative size means nothing without understanding and provided an example of why it means nothing without understanding.

Climate denier are folks that denier climate change based on science. If you prefer science denier, that's fine with me. Science denier.

10. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

climate doesn't change base on science....

also, you can't really deny science either since it is a process so that is a stupid name too

AGW alarmist makes perfect sense - Somebody who is alarmed by the possibility that something that hasn't been proven in any way may cause global calamity. seems reasonable to me.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I much rather converse with Rojo 10x than with you, okierock. Moving on.

12. Cohete Rojo

Again, I challenge someone to show me what I cannot grasp or what it is I am denying. Don't paint me with the same broad brush you use on others.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Why don't you look at post number two in this thread and then apply that same question to every single post you make where you post an article trying to imply a claim.

14. Cohete Rojo

I've reiterated my point a couple times throughout this thread and the other thread. There will be some weird or unusual (deviating) weather events this winter. For example, Chicago has had its fourth snowiest November on record - behind 1940, 1895, and 1951.

However, the El Niño effects in California won't be felt until probably January, and it could be a big one. So it's not really fair for people to chime in with "this weather event is due to global warming" when there is zero indication that such an event has anything to do with global warming (i.e. Hurricane Katrina, Tropical Storm Sandy, etc). People need context (data) for the unusual weather events they will be reading and seeing on the news this winter.

[rQUOTEr]Massive El Niño gains strength, likely to drench key California drought zone

One of the most powerful El Niños on record continues gathering strength and is looking increasingly likely to bring heavy rains to key Northern California areas that provide water for the rest of the state, according to a new forecast.

There are better odds that the area around Lake Oroville, California's second-largest reservoir, will have above-normal precipitation -- now more than a 40% chance, up from a more than 33% chance in last month’s forecast. San Francisco now has more than a 50% shot of a wetter-than-average winter, up from a more than 40% probability.

Los Angeles continues to have more than a 60% probability of a wet winter during the months of January, February and March. Officials are scrambling to prepare, including clearing out basins and making sure roads are ready for all the rain.

[​IMG]

Here are some questions and answers about the coming winter.

... [/rQUOTEr]

15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

No one should ever have to eat Pork & Beans.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And this is why Global Warming is doomed to happen - too many fools like this who read right-wing nut bloggers who don't even know how to operate a bunsen burner and think they are experts on "science"

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this effing guy

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Prince Charles - climate change root cause of Syrian war: <a href="https://t.co/NNoVBM8VFu">https://t.co/NNoVBM8VFu</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CPO21?src=hash">#CPO21</a> <a href="https://t.co/aoXWqKX87w">pic.twitter.com/aoXWqKX87w</a></p>&mdash; Reuters Top News (@Reuters) <a href="https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/668796717106614272">November 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

^^

Climate change: the reason I stubbed my toe on the bathroom door this morning

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ex-CIA director: U.S. doesn't bomb ISIS oil rigs for fear of &quot;environmental damage&quot; <a href="https://t.co/0rE6DjxhaJ">https://t.co/0rE6DjxhaJ</a> <a href="https://t.co/QLfXjC70tL">pic.twitter.com/QLfXjC70tL</a></p>&mdash; The Hill (@thehill) <a href="https://twitter.com/thehill/status/669629410782388224">November 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

r****ded