1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clearing something up: The Rockets didn't choose Lin over Dragic or Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 24, 2012.

1. gregas

gregas Member

Injury and decline, for whatever reason, is a risk with virtually every NBA contract. It can happen to anybody and in that case you'll have problems moving them regardless of the specifics of their contracts. It's not like you could have simply cut him off, if there would be no option. That has no correlation with the decision weather you should give somebody a player option or not.

Even with his contract, Dragic would be a highly sought after asset, and teams who would be looking to get into the playoffs and had a weakness at the position, would have gladly taken him. It gives them a better shoot during the postseason and an upper hand at resigning him.

The player option itself doesn't represent any considerable risk.

2. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

thats Morey's call all I know is the Rox were going for Howard or lottery this summer...

but then you have folks pining for two PGs who did not want to be here...

acting like a guy like Dragic is the final piece to the puzzle..

when you tried to trade him... to get Gasol

3. kastuul

kastuul Member

2012-13 PG ranking,
    Lowry is 2nd
    Dragic is 6th
    It shows how good the PG position the Rockets had last season.

Lin is 25th, and Toney is 56th.
    Lin must play better

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL what is this ranking based upon? Do you have a link to this.

5. kastuul

kastuul Member

6. Dei

Dei Member

Great. I was going to dig up on this.

Stop making threads and halt your feel good campaign by sucking up to the Lin fans meh. It's sad.

7. gregas

gregas Member

What does his player option, which comes into affect three years from now, has to do with acquiring Howard? Cap hit in the first year on Goran's (7,5) contract is smaller than Lin's (8,3). And that's the only year that would matter when it comes to obtaining Dwight.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So what? The difference is Lin for 3 years $25 million or Dragic for 4 years $34 million. Pick one.

9. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Given my limited understanding of the new CBA, I think teams are weary of giving contracts longer than 3 years to players who aren't superstars/pseudo superstar due to the astronomical penalty for going over the luxury tax threshold for 3 consecutive years; repeater tax. It'll be much harder to trade players who have significant money and length on their contract as teams try to stay away from the threshold as best as they can once limitation on sign-and-trade transaction goes into effect. I honestly think Morey signed Lin as a stopgap and he was prepared to go all in on the Dwight sweepstakes... get him or tank, if you believe Dragic is much better than Lin. Let the younglings play and see if they can be a star of their own or as asset for a trade down the road. Well, that is until James Harden fell into his lap.

Anyway, if Morey truly believe that Dragic is much better than Lin based on his statistical analysis and he'll be a significant part of the team's quest for a championship for the duration of his contract, then he should offer a contract with a guaranteed fourth year. However, I'll still be hesitant on giving that fourth year player option.

10. gregas

gregas Member

And it's only 34, if he manages to get on the all-star team every single year of the contract, LOL

Otherwise it's only 30.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

Thanks for this.

A huge part of Lin's game that isn't being used is his ability to get to the FT line. 87% FT shooter getting 2 FTA a game is bad. Last year he was getting to the line like 7 times a game. Harden went to the FT line like 13 times yesterday. I don't think Lin went to the line once. He is a much better FT shooter than he is from the perimeter & yet he is averaging more 3P attempts than FT's. There needs to be a lot more offensive balance in the back court.

The Rockets are also overusing Harden. I am having big time concerns about his ability to carry this much load over a full season & stay healthy. This was a guy that never conditioned to be a starter this season. He plays way to many minutes & does way to much out there.

12. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

What you should have said is that Knicks fans who blame Lin for walking away from Knicks are idiots, when they would do exactly the same thing. I don't think Houston fans "blame" Lin for signing with Rockets. If they blame anyone, they probably blame Rockets GM and/or owner.

Having said this, I think Houston is using Lin in a wrong way, because they should know Lin's shooting is not that good at this time. Maybe they are trying to force Lin to become a better shooter, but Lin's forte is making good passes and getting all players involved.

13. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

THANK YOU!

It wasn't Lin or Dragic, it was Dragic walked and then Lin was our fallback. Do you people not remember the couple of weeks when were were negotiating with Ramon Sessions and Aaron Brooks???

14. conquistador#11

15. pnr

pnr Member

I'm surprised he's at 25 to be honest. I expected him to be way lower at this point.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats because that team was a championship contender and "1 piece away". This was after the Rockets lost to the Jazz in the playoffs with Van Gundy. What were the Rockets going to, keep Juwan Howard? Also Mike James wanted a trade kicker, which means his salary amount rises and he gets paid more when he gets traded. Rockets got him after he signed elsewhere and was someone else's problem for a little while.

*Rockets later traded him and Bonzi Wells for Bobby Jackson. Who they flipped with Donte Greene for Ron Artest*

They also brought in Steve Francis, and got WAY BURNED giving him a player option. Francis was the epitome of "dead money", he took the player option on his contract and then disappeared out of sight. The Rockets had to PAY the Grizzlies and send them a 2nd round pick to take Francis' contract off their hands so they could stay under the cap to not pay luxury tax.

*Rockets then would then buy two 2nd round picks next drafts anyway, Chase Budinger and Sergio Llull. But thats just more money out of pocket*

So its probably the FRANCIS situation that left a bad taste of what Rockets don't want ANY part lol.

THIS Rockets team is FAR from championship contention to be going through any of that.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

But that's not the difference. If it was that simple (three guaranteed vs. four guaranteed) maybe Morey would have signed Dragic.

It has been explained many times, and by Morey himself, why player options are very favorable for the player and very bad for his team.

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

No way they let Dragic walk for nothing they knew Lin was in the stack of cards.

19. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

2nd and 6th best PGs in the league

I guess thats why you went so far in the playoffs...

20. roxxy

roxxy Member

Well this is precisely what happened. They took a risk on Lin they never expected him to be a Rocket. Morey admitted it himself. They increased the offer to make it harder for NYK to match & Morey still thought the Knicks would keep him.