1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets take off like jet with 100-point games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GRENDEL, Mar 20, 2007.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

What's with all the points the Rockets are scoring?
    It's about being pass-happy, with Yao and T-Mac doing a lot of the dishing

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Next, the Phoenix Suns will ditch all that high-speed offense and just stick to the half-court to grind it out. The Spurs will forget all that wearisome stuff about defense. The Lakers will opt for balanced scoring.

Suddenly, the Rockets are high-scoring. Ridiculously high-scoring. And with that the case, anything must be possible.

"Hey, that's how we play," center Yao Ming said, speaking of style, if not quite the recent offensive roll. "Whoever is open, pass to them. Make shots."

The Rockets, 17th in the NBA in scoring, have won six of eight games since Yao's return, averaging 112.2 points in the victories.

In the season's first 60 games, the Rockets topped 110 points, the Suns' league-leading average, five times (twice in overtime). They have scored at least 110 in six of the past seven games.

They are 23-4 when scoring 100 or more points, and in tonight's return home against the Indiana Pacers will be coming off their most prolific game of the season, a 124-74 rout of the 76ers.

49 in the hoop

The Rockets' 49 field goals at Philadelphia were their most in a game this season and came on 53.3 percent shooting. But as much as they have been driven by their sudden sharpshooting, the Rockets insist it's the passing before the shooting that has led to their offensive surge.

"The game of basketball is funny the way it works," said forward Shane Battier, the Rockets' top 3-point shooter, making a career-best 43 percent. "When you play the right way — moving the basketball, making simple plays — it's funny how much more efficient you are, how much more effective you are. When you get in a game when the passing is contagious, the shots become so much easier. The shots are almost made before the pass even begins. That's the way the game should be played.

"It's fun to watch. It's fun to be out there. We have unselfish guys on this team, probably the two most unselfish superstars in the league. When we can do that, it makes us a much better offensive team."

As with all things Rockets, the passing begins with Yao and Tracy McGrady. McGrady is averaging a career-best 6.2 assists per game. The Rockets are 22-6 when he gets at least seven assists and have won their last 10 such games.

In those six recent 110-point games, the Rockets, who are averaging 20.9 assists this season, have averaged 27.2 assists. But with Yao and McGrady, who draw double teams and start the ball movement, theirs is often the pass that leads to the pass that leads to the shot.

"When you have two stars willing to pass, it rubs off on everyone," guard Rafer Alston said. "We love to make the extra pass. I think we appreciate that hockey assist — the pass to the pass that leads to the shot."

That ball movement often finds Alston or Luther Head at the top of the circle or Battier in the corner. The Rockets are fifth in the NBA in 3-point shooting percentage, and only the Suns take more 3s.

"It's a component of our game, but obviously, we can't be totally dependent on it," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "What you're striving for is to have a balance."

Season pace for 725 3s

The Rockets are on pace to make 725 treys on 1,924 attempts, which would shatter the franchise records of 671 and 1,839 in the 1996-97 season, the last in which they won a playoff series.

"It's ball movement," Head said. "Whenever you get a good pass, you're confident to shoot the ball. It's easy to shoot the ball when you get the ball perfectly passed to you. You have to reward the passer for getting you the ball.

"That's everybody's personality. Nobody is a selfish person even off the court. It just carries over. We've got a lot of good guys on the team. I think everybody is fortunate to get on a team with just good guys. I think it shows on the court."

Still, the sudden gush of scoring is more likely a surge than a trend. The idea, Van Gundy said, is to be "balanced."

"We've been executing on the offensive end and making shots," McGrady said. "When you have that presence down low ... it helps.

"We want to be playing our best ball going into the postseason. Looking at the teams in front of us — Dallas, San Antonio and Phoenix — those guys are in championship form. That's what we're working our way to."

ROCKETS NOTES
    Rockets '86 loss still stands in the record books

The Rockets' 50-point win on Sunday put them in the record books, but it could not get them out. Their 124-74 win in Philadelphia was the third-largest margin for an NBA road team.

The largest margin of victory by a visiting team was in the 136-80 win by the Seattle SuperSonics over the Rockets in 1986. The other 50-point road win was the Pistons' 118-66 rout at Boston in 2003.

By the numbers

Some of the figures related to the Rockets' recent impressive scoring displays:

23-4: Rockets' record when scoring at least 100 points

112.2: Rockets' scoring average in their last six wins

592: Rockets' 3-pointers this season, 79 shy of the club record

.377: Rockets' 3-point percentage, which ranks fifth in the NBA

Bigs being bigs

Before the Rockets' two-game road trip, coach Jeff Van Gundy said he wanted to see his "bigs play big."
    That would seem to have been accomplished in the Rockets' 124-74 win in Philadelphia. The 76ers scored just eight points in the paint, and the Rockets outrebounded the Sixers 54-36.

The Rockets had three players reach double-figure rebounds — Chuck Hayes (13), Juwan Howard (10) and Yao Ming (10) — for the first time since March 6, 2005, against the Mavericks when Yao had 11, Howard 10 and Tracy McGrady 10.

"Certainly, Yao with his post presence is a different dimension, and Juwan and Chuck have both been playing well," Van Gundy said. " Dikembe's ( Mutombo) been banged up. We need him to come back and start giving us second shots."

Pacers update

The Pacers snapped an 11-game losing streak with a 113-90 win over the Hawks on Saturday. ... Jermaine O'Neal has come back from a sore left knee and Jamaal Tinsley from a strained left calf. ... The Pacers, last in the NBA in field-goal percentage, had been among the league's top defensive teams before dramatically breaking down defensively in the past 20 games.

Rockets update

The Rockets have won five of their past six games, averaging 119 points on the Toronto-Philadelphia trip. When they lost to the Pacers, it was the first game without Yao Ming and first with Tracy McGrady coming back from back spasms, and the Pacers were led by the since-traded Al Harrington.

Check out

Watch the Rockets' defense in the paint. They took away the lane Sunday, and the Pacers lack the outside shooting to take advantage from the perimeter.

Statistically speaking

The Pacers have gone 10-17 since trading Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, Josh Powell and Sarunas Jasikevicius to Golden State for Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Ike Diogu and Keith McLeod.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4644889.html

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If only we would hire an offensive assistant for JVG. :eek: :rolleyes:

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

If we can keep the good offense flow, we will be a hard team for anybody to beat. Our defense is going to be there in playoff, it's the offense that worries me. If we could score 100 some points, we could even beat the Suns the other day.

Now, I have noticed that lately JVG ran a lot screens to get the ball to Tmac and Yao. Especially when both of them are on different side of block, you see screens on both sides and that confuses hell out of the opposing team because they will never know whether Tmac or Yao's going to get the ball. Yao catches the ball much deeper in the paint now too, not just predicable post up. Good offense flow. We cant rely on 3p too much tough, but then those are wide open treys.

4. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

If the Rockets can score over 100 pts over the Pistons on Thursday, then I am impressed.

5. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

EXACTLY...those simultaneous screens for Tracy and Yao are great because they don't fully develop until the last split second, and defenses have to respect both guys coming off the screens as well as the screener himself...usually ends up with Yao in deep position or Tracy curling and ready to attack. You can see the play developing and still can't shut it down.

6. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

The Rockets D disappeared for a strecth, and now we are seeing 110 points a night.

Has JVG finally seen the light?????

7. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

I know! We would probably start blowing teams out by 50!

8. Htown57

Htown57 Member

this article should be title "for those of you who think JVG can't coach offense, hush." when the team plays like JVG wants them to, with both yao and Tmac creating, the players sharing the ball, and running the plays we have the potential to score buckets upon buckets of points. This offense is well designed for the team we have--notice that when it is working well, we either get one on one scoring opputunities for our superstars, wide open jump shots (seriously, look at pretty much all of luther, shane, rafer, and juwon's scoring...almost all of it is wide open Js) or uncontested layups (see: chuck hayes).

Of course, some teams (the suns) still trouble our offense, but they do so by playing a reletively unique sort of defense (preemptive double teams, swarming and a little chaotic) that we rarely if ever see.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hold on a minute. I'm tired of the silly JVG bashing, but when it comes to offense, there is plenty to question. I like the recent trend and hope we keep it up for while. It's just too bad that during the first part of the season, our offense was totally stale and relied too much on dumping the ball to Yao and watching him work. I was concerned when he came back the offense would revert back to earlier form, but it hasn't. Perhaps the Phoenix game can be excused somewhat by Yao's exhaustion the prior night, perhaps not. Either way, I'm still not sold on our offense. These recent games show we can (and will) wallop teams that don't play defense. That is a major step forward by itself. Problem is, the good teams in the playoffs always play defense.

The upcoming Pistons game will show more about how good the offense is because they will contest every possession. If we execute well on Thursday, then OK, I'll give the coach a little more credit.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I posted something similar in the game thread, but does it not make anyone else nervous that every time that we talk about how well we are playing, we end up getting beaten by an inferior team the next game?

I hope, since we are trying to play as well as we can and are fighting for position, we don't start believing we are better than we are and bring forth a half-a$$ed effort tonight against Indiana

11. jerrios

jerrios Member

i remeber when yao first got in the league he could shoot that 15 ft jumper and he had amazing passing skills at the top of the key to players cutting. jvg has totally taken that away from him. i dont mind him at all down the low block, which he is also great at, but why limit him to just that when he can do so much more?

hakeem as good as he was down low and the dream shake. he shot alot of jumpers also which just made him that more dangerous.

12. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

They ol' 1+1=3?

In the last seven games, we've allowed 92.14. For the season, we've allowed 91.16. Our 'D disappearing' means a whole 0.98 more ppg for our opponents? :rolleyes:

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I just hope Rafer keeps shooting like this until September.

14. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Article contains a factual error:
    Last 7 games:
    Mar 18 @ PHI W 124-74
    Mar 16 @ TOR W 114-100
    Mar 14 LAC W 109-105
    Mar 12 @ PHO L 82-103
    Mar 11 ORL W 103-92
    Mar 9 NJN W 112-91
    Mar 7 @ BOS W 111-80

In the last seven games, there were only four times that the Rox scored 110+.

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I think it was a typo, becuase the title of the article is 100 pt games.

16. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

The Suns PPG avg is 110 (110.2).

If there is a typo, it's that "four" was replaced by "six," but then calling that a typo as opposed to a factual error is a stretch.

Oh, and btw I'm really really bored and have nothing better to do than nitpick a sports article, just in case anyone's wondering.

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

My bad... I missed that quote with the Suns average. :) Yep looks like a boo-boo to me. Jonathon needs a fact checker from Clutchfans to proofread his articles. :)

18. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I know we have our problems with the Suns, but I hate the fact that there is only one good team in that stretch and we lost to them by 21. I'm ready to start beating the good teams consistently too.

Maybe I'm just greedy. :)

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

How about the best center in the league is back with the team and rounding into shape? How about the fact that coaches will only win as much as the players they have on their team? It's not that complicated.

20. Sextuple Double

We've always been a 100pt team. If the refs would give Yao so much as 10% of his calls he would get an extra 4 free throws every game