1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets regain a talent - McGrady doesn't miss a beat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Omer, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Omer

Omer Member

[​IMG]

Rockets regain a talent
    McGrady's game doesn't miss beat after long layoff

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Tracy McGrady kept saying he had been out for so long he had forgotten how to play. It turned out he merely had forgotten how much he loved it.

He pulled up for a jumper as smooth as ever. He flashed that pump fake at the 3-point arc that sends him to the line. He drove the lane again and again.

Before long, he was slinging no-look darts to a cutting Chuck Hayes at the rim, one with around-the-back sleight of hand that had the Toyota Center crowd gasping.

With that, McGrady seemed to have regained at least a familiarity with this basketball thing and all of the love for it. He was so sensational, he nearly overshadowed the second-half collapse he and most of the Rockets veterans watched as the Memphis Grizzlies came from a 21-point hole to a 75-69 win Tuesday before 11,913 at the preseason opener.

But at least McGrady's recovery seemed close.

"I think we would all hope to be as off as Tracy McGrady," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "I'd love to forget how to play that well."

McGrady looked pleased and at ease, tossing over-the-head half-court shots with the Rockets' mascot at halftime and T-shirts to the crowd at the end of the third quarter. By then, he had played his 18 minutes, scoring 17 points, making half of his 10 shots and collecting five assists. More than that, he said he had recaptured his passion.

"I felt good," McGrady said. "I felt light. Feeling good is for me the best feeling, especially coming off the year I had. Really confident. I'm going to stay that way. I got that passion back. That's the most important part. I got that love for the game. It showed."

Before the rookies and newcomers for whom such nights are always special took over — and broke down — McGrady took his first steps toward his 10th season seeming as happy as they are to be here.

"He's a special talent," Shane Battier said. "He was excited to be out there. It was the first time he put on a uniform since March (when he went out with a strained back)."

Hustling Hayes
    With Yao Ming out, the Rockets went from the league's tallest center to its shortest, the 6-6 Hayes. But Hayes grabbed 10 rebounds in 25 minutes; Memphis' 7-2 Jake Tsakalidis did not score and had one rebound.

Likely rotation regulars Bonzi Wells, Luther Head and Juwan Howard did not play for the Rockets. By the fourth quarter, every starter was done for the night, with only Steve Novak's sharpshooting (4-of-6 for 12 points) interrupting a horrific second half in which the Rockets shot 20 percent, scored 20 points and had 16 turnovers. But by then, McGrady had stolen the part of the show that mattered most.

"Just think about that thing if he weren't available tonight," Van Gundy said. "That would have been really fun. But I'm always concerned about health. But I'm more concerned about his passion for the game. I think he has a renewed sense of upbeatness about him.

"For the older players, the guys that had been in the league and expected so much out of the year, it was a difficult year. I think he has a renewed sense of passion, which I think is as important as his health."

Passion for game
    With those qualities back, McGrady had a feel that was far better than he had described during the week, when he so openly fretted about the condition of his game. Instead, it seemed almost easy.

"The thing that Tracy does best — and it's not even close — is he's a premier decision-maker with the ball," Van Gundy said. "His size allows him, and his vision and his basketball IQ allow him, to create shots for others. That's his greatest strength."

There are issues. Conditioning needs to improve. And Van Gundy said he needs McGrady to recapture his 3-point accuracy, especially after it slipped to 31.2 percent last season.

But for now, McGrady was thrilled.

"I got it back," he said. "That's why I worked so hard in the offseason. I had to really bust my butt to get back in tip-top shape and be ready and be one of the elite players in this league, do what they brought me here to do.

"I'm back. I'm healthy. I'm just excited for the season."

2. Omer

Omer Member

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Well, good....

Average 25/7/7/ and 2 steals a game. Be a catalyst for our shooters, get them shots...... Penetrate and get us through droughts.

BUT

Give way to Yao Ming as the centerpiece of this team. We have seen half a season of dominance.

This is the most important year is YAO's career. Get him 20 shots, and the go bonkers Tmac.

4. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

I think the article points out two things. 1) McGrady is healthy and excited about a strong season; 2) McGrady will be handling the ball because of his decision-making skills.

I dont doubt McGrady knows how effective Yao Ming is in the post and Im sure Yao will see a big chunk of the offensive pie. I would have liked to see Yao Ming play, if he comes back as healthy as TMac percieves himself to be, we'll finally get to see the massive potential of our stars play out the way everyone expected it to play out.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree,let Yao establish control in the paint with the offense going through him right out of the gate.
    After they adjust make them pay with Tracy....and our shooters.
    The Rockets should be pretty darn efficient on offense.And a healthy TMac,Battier along with our change in personnel should reap benefits on the defensive end too,leading to more easy buckets.
    Rockets = high FG % and the ability to really tighten the D ( esp. if we can add a defensive/rebounding 4 at the deadline.

6. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Maybe. JVG, i think, likes to use TMac in the first half to spread defenses and uses Yao in the 2nd half for a more half-court oriented game. Of course when games are on the line youll see the ball in TMacs hands because even if he cant get off a game winner he can set someone up for one.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Either way come playoff time our halfcourt game is going to pay massive dividends.

8. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Dont doubt it.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's a good sign to see T-Mac coming back. I'm excited to see him on the court. I hope that Yao and Bonzi will recover quickly. A healthy team can do real damage to the others if our players get well and gel as a unit.

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

The only thing that will hold us back this year are injuries. We MUST remain healthy. If he must, JVG has to adjust his whole game plan during the regular season to keep his key players healthy and ready for the playoffs.

JVG should take a page out of Popovich's playbook here. Pops always says that his number one concern is 'health' come playoff time, and y'all saw how little he played Duncan (minutes-wise, which resulted in almost career-lows for TD) during the season, but he still got unlucky of course and TD hurt his foot.

Judging by the little adjustments JVG is making -- canceling practices/etc -- he might finally be getting 'it'...

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Go to Yao early, use the Pick and role, and let McGrady carve and dish and shoot. But get Yao Ming the ball consistently. No more 9 or 10 shot games. 18 a game minimum. There will be double teams on Yao, and he will get the ball out, and therein lies the true start in our offense. If he cannot score.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Tracy has been the forgotten man this summer. Not trying to start a war of words, but IF he is healthy this year, he is clearly our best player, no offence to Yao at all. If both of them perform in a dominant fashion the Rockets will be special. Give Tracy the NBA's dominant center, a player like Battier and role players that shoot the ball well enough and we are a contender, even if our depth doesn't match the Mavs. If injuries don't kill us this will be a fun year. If enough players develop and we have very good depth, we could end up competing for the NBA's best record.

Remember, we were 51-31 2 years ago after starting 6-11.
    Tracy is Tracy.
    Yao is not only better, he is probably MUCH better.
    Our 3rd/4th best players are Battier and Bonzi vs. Sura and whoever.
    We are younger and more athletic.

All of this is predicated on health, Bonzi working out OK, decent (not great) PG play and any of two guys stepping up between Rafer, V-Span, Head, Novak, JL3, Snyder, Hayes.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think Head not playing in the first game says a lot. He obviously did not have a questionable or bad training camp. He will be a shooter, and his mid range and penetration improved a bit over the year.

A3P0- I just disagree. While McGrady might be more talented, all things considered.... (Personnel, lurking injuries, the future and the playoff run itself) Yao should be the man. If he picks up where he left off, and we add Tmac consistently being there, along with Wells, and then a bunch of shooters (or a few) in the rotation, not to mention a guy that should make Yao more effective (spacing) Battier as a 4th option and glue guy.

Kobe was probably a top 2 perimeter player during the latter Shaq years, and the offense still went to Shaquille. When they were not intentionally not sharing, thats just how it works. Inside, outside. If McGrady is on, great. But Yao, will hit 50% of his field goals and 85% of his freethrows. 20 shots, with his new crew, and McGrady. We will contend.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The great thing about our 2 is McGrady understands how important for him and the team it is for Yao to be the guy. Just like Magic understood what it meant to the whole team to get Kareem off, McGrady understands that if Yao gets it going, it makes his job and everybody else's job so much easier. McGrady is still a dominator.

We've got the best 1-1 punch in the NBA. I would not trade these guys for Shaq and DWade or Lebron and whoever or Amare and Nash or TDuncan and Manu. Our 2 are better.

15. xtint1n

xtint1n Member

Amen that!

16. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I don't think Yao would be offended, but I also think there's not a GM in the NBA that would agree with you or most of this bbs.

There's is just no way you can say TMac is clearly better than Yao any more.

The first option and first option A schtick isn't going to fly anywhere except on this bbs. It's all about Yao's touches, reposts and passing.

I love Tmac, and he (when healthy) has been by far the most effective post passer Yao's seen, but by the same token I do fear TMac isn't going to feel great averaging 22 pppg, 8 dimes and 6 rbs.

I think that's ideal if we're truly contenders, but it's not likely to happen.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Let's wait until the season starts and take it up again after a few games. What makes Tracy great (if healthy) is he can adapt his game around Yao. Yao cannot do this in reverse. Tracy is versatile enough (and smart enough and not too full of himself) to focus on getting Yao and other players involved and pick his spots during games. Yao cannot pick his spots this way.

I guess the perimeter vs. post player debate comes into play. Also, I'm just talking about THIS SEASON, not the franchise going forward for the next however many years. I appreciate what Yao did over his last 15-20 games. He was great; he was dominant, but he is not as good a player yet (IF Tracy is healthy).

declan32001, if you polled all GMs in the NBA and asked them to choose between a guaranteed healthy Tracy and a guaranteed healthy Yao FOR THIS SEASON, you may be very surprised by the results. If the choice was either player for the long term (back and foot problems included), most would obviously choose Yao because Tracy's back problems (and his contract) justifiably scare everyone.

The prospect of both guys playing together at the top of their games makes me want to flip the calendar forward 3 weeks and get the season started. I can't wait!

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think Yao will have a solid and quick start. The easiest way to develop chemistry, is to dump it in, and then work from there...... Let those new players use their upgrades in "Talent, grit, etc." and Let McGrady do his thing.

I agree with a previous poster in that it really is 1 and 1A.

I would not trade this core, for any other 2 in the league.

And I think I might take Yao, Tmac, Wells and Battier over any foursome.

19. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Its not impossible for them to both average 24-25 ppg...Hint to the coach...SPEED UP THE FREAKING TEMPO...thats how were going to "LIVE IT!!!"

20. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

Is it Friday yet :confused: