1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets forward Landry earns coach's confidence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jmejia, Oct 12, 2008.

1. jmejia

jmejia Contributing Member

FYI.

For those that have been looking for more Rockets Articles. Just found this one.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6054585.html

TULSA, Okla. — Barely two weeks earlier, Carl Landry was a free agent unsure where he would play this season or how he would fit in with whichever team would claim him.
    He was about to become the Charlotte Bobcats’ annual power forward offer sheet recipient – Anderson Varejao was the restricted free agent to sign with but never join the Bobcats’ last season – and within 24 hours, the Rockets would match the offer to bring back Landry for a second season with a new three-year, $9 million contract.
    Then, after one week of training camp and one game leading the Rockets in scoring by knocking down deep jumpers including the game-winner, Landry was inactive again.
    This time, however, his place on the outside demonstrated how far he had so rapidly come since his unsigned, restricted free agent summer.
    He had already demonstrated so much, his place in the Rockets’ rotation and plans were secure. Tim Duncan was not playing and so neither was Landry.
    After one game and a week of practices, Rockets coach Rick Adelman seen enough.
    A game later, with Kevin Garnett starting for the Celtics, Landry did, too. He had not joined the Duncan-Garnett peer group of top-level stars. He will still share the position with Luis Scola, with Ron Artest also likely to play power forward. But he had shown so much progress since his rookie season, he was ready to try out new skills against the most gifted of power forward defenders.
    “It’s always good playing against Kevin Garnett, one of the best players in the league,” Landry said. “I get a chance to get some experience in the preseason and hope whatever I did, carries over to the season.
    “I learned a lot over this last year. I improved my jump shot, became smarter on the defensive end and the game has slowed down a lot for me. As a rookie, the game was going 1,000 miles per hour. Now, it slowed down and I’m taking my time, trying to understand the game. It becomes easier for you as you gain experience.”
    Going against Garnett and similar second-round success story Leon Powe, Landry had his second-consecutive solid offensive performance, showing different offensive skills than last season or in his 18-point game against the Grizzlies.
    Against Memphis, he knocked down four catch-and-shoot jumpers, the last from 23 feet out, to demonstrate the range the Rockets believed he had in his game last season but rarely showed. Against the Celtics, he made three one-dribble jumpers, freeing himself for good looks to score his 11 points in 25 minutes. If he can continue to score from the perimeter, he would be a far more well-rounded player than last season when most of his scoring came from cuts to the basket and offensive rebounds.
    “He has the ability to do that,” Adelman said. “Last year, he just needed to get his feet wet. He has the ability to make that 15- to 17-foot jumper. We’ve seen it time and again. With his quickness, he can put it down one dribble, and pull up and shoot it because he’ll beat the guy and give himself some space. I think you’ll be seeing more of that.”
    Improvement in both areas seemed to point directly to long hours running through drills, the sort of off-season work that has already become a key to his play and to a rapid start vastly different from his rookie season.
    Landry was not in the kind of shape, with the quickness and explosion that keys his game, when he played in his first summer league and struggled badly. He reported to his first training camp in far better condition, but needed time to control his game and fit in.
    “I think he learned a lesson last year,” Adelman said. “After summer league, when he wasn’t in shape, he came back to camp last year ready to go.”
    This off-season, he did not play in the summer league or train at Toyota Center with the team. He said he wanted to be with teammates in Houston, but made “a business decision” to stay away. When he returned, he said he was determined to show that he had been working.
    “I was a free agent,” Landry said. “I didn’t know if I was going to be back. I just kept working and continuing to grow as a player.
    “I’m still only a rookie. I only played 40-something games in this league. It was all a matter of how hard I worked this summer. I went back this summer and put some extra work in, added some extra moves just to try to make me more valuable.”
    So far, that plan seems be working. Since an exasperatingly slow summer, Landry has moved with stunning speed from free agent to Bobcat to Rockets forward on the Tim Duncan-Kevin Garnett preseason schedule.

2. moose

moose Member

i'm so excited for landry. if he can master that jumper, he can be an amazing mid range/inside threat

3. kingkow

kingkow Member

if it wasn't for buddy baker. Landry could have scored more than 18 easily.

4. bewy

bewy Member

Next amare stoudemire. Looking forward to it.

5. sook

sook Rookie

i love this kid

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I love hearing these great stories of young players bettering themselves and paying off on the court.

7. kwng

kwng Member

Landry will significantly contribute to the Rockets this season. I hope he will be selected by the coaches for the all-stars this season (I don't think he'll be selected by the fans though with so many popular PFs around in the west).

8. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

Can't wait to see more of his games.LETS GO ROCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

9. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Allstar. i doubt he'll ever be a allstar. he will be a very good role player, but i doubt about the allstar notion.

10. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Only if he is 3 inches taller.

11. liangqj

liangqj Member

"I’m still only a rookie."
    I like your attitude. I am sure you can reach higher level, lanlan(nickname from china).

12. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I definitely see all-star potential in him. It'll take him a couple of seasons to get there, but he's showing too much talent and efficiency not to merit consideration. His PER last season was off the charts, and even though some experts think that was a statistical blip, it is looking like that number may not drop off much, if at all. I always thought the one thing that would hold him back from being a bonafide star player was his lack of a go-to move/being able to create his own shot. Now that he's putting on KG-like moves and making unassisted shots with confidence, it's hard to put a ceiling on him.

Right now, he's still just a role player. But at the rate he's progressing...

13. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

hopefully, he doesnt fall too much in love with his jumper. id still rather he dunk it whenever he can.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Landry has earned my respect for a long time. Despite his contract situation, it was clear he learned a lot from his 1st season and worked very hard over the summer to get better. He won't be an All-star, but he's the kind of dedicated and talented player the Rockets need on the roster. Landry will be one of the best backup PFs in the league next year. In tandem with Ron and Scola at PF, we are rock-solid at the position. If Scola turns out to be an adequate backup for Yao at C, our front line will be feared across the NBA.

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Adelman wanting him to matchup to KG and giving him the night off when Duncan wasn't playing tells me Adelman is thinking what Landry's full potential is. As in, if Landry starts will there be any dropoff? I think Landry held his own against KG defensively and his faceup game may mesh better with the starting unit then Scola's back to the basket game.

But unless there is an injury to Scola, I think the starting 5 stays the same. This topic is better suited for next season.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Might not be a bad ideal to have Scola play off the bench. He's got a little more size than Landry, and it may be good to have him come in as the backup C if need be. Taking him out of the starting lineup could save him some fouls, which he'll need when he tries to defend bigger guys.

17. drich

drich Member

what is even better is the fact it would give scola time to opperate on the low post.

18. Showtizzle2642

do you think scola would accept a back-up role?
    i honestly dont know a part of me says yes..but the other part of me says he would be insulted if he was a back-up

i think it would benefit him and the team if he were second string... he would definetly own the paint

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

WE need Yao/Scola/Battier to start so that when Landy/Artest come in we MURDER the other team's reserves. We can o this because Yao/Scola/Battier/T-Mac/Alston is a line-up that was, IIRC, undefeated last season.

It only makes sense to have a killer bench of:

WHoever
    Landry
    Artest
    Barry
    Brooks (who will not have to handle passing duties much in this line up)

I'm super excited.

20. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Sorry if i sound ignorant, but does landry have the speed to matchup with SFs in the league?
    If he does, maybe working on his handles next off season would do him some good...

Just a thought.