1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] - McNair: Bush pick not a lock

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3589395.html

Texans owner says no guarantee made to USC coach

By JOHN MCCLAIN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Owner Bob McNair denied an ESPN report Sunday that he told Southern California coach Pete Carroll that the Texans would select running back Reggie Bush if he left the Trojans after his junior year.

The report said that after University of Texas quarterback Vince Young's performance in the Rose Bowl, Carroll called McNair to get assurances that the owner would make Bush the first pick in the draft.

"Pete Carroll did call me, but he talked to me about Bush and never asked if we were going to take him, and if he had I wouldn't have told him that because we haven't even hired our coach," McNair said Sunday.

The Texans will hire Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak as soon as the Broncos' season is over. Denver hosts Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game on Sunday.

"We don't know who we're going to draft right now," McNair said. "After we hire our coach, the evaluation process will still have a long way to go. We want to pick the player we feel will give us the best chance to win."

Bush's advisers had disclosed several weeks before the Rose Bowl that he would leave after his junior year.

The Texans had planned to take Bush, but when Young entered the draft, they were forced to re-evaluate.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

3. Rockets34Legend

#3 Rockets34Legend, Jan 16, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

YES !!

Vince is still in the running !!

DD

5. msn

msn Member

That's how everyone feels about the VY/RB thread he or she has started. :p

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

How many more threads are we going to have?

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

72. This week.

And they can all be paraphrased.

"If the Texans pass on VY to take the 4'10" Bush who's never taken a hit in his life, I will at the very least need to take Prozac for the next 8 years of my life and will never watch the Texans again."

and

"Anyone who doesn't believe that Reggie Bush is the next incarnation of Christ himself is a UT Homer that is blinded by VY's one good game in college."

I just click on them to turn off the yellow light.

8. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

That's great news. I didn't think that Bush guarantee story sounded quite right.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I hope the Texans draft Bush. We all can agree one player isn't going to turn the team around. Let the Texans pass on a hometown star. Then sit back and watch the ****storm. If VY with the Titans (oh God please not the Saints) has good games against the Texans or takes the Titans to the playoffs before Carr and the Texans, icing on the m-fing cake.

I like it. MUHAHAHHAA.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

for all those guys who posted this debate is pointless because the Texans already decided to take Bush,

you just got pwned by the texans pwner.

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Its funny how everytime there is a rumor about Bush coming to the Texans McClain has to run and make sure Young still has a chance to come here. I haven't heard one rumor yet that Young is coming here but heard about a million rumors that Bush is. Thats a hint right there.

12. YaoMing

YaoMing Contributing Member

Stop kidding yourself. The Texans are sticking with Carr, and Bush will be the pick. Im not trying to be an A-hole, but Im just trying to stop my fellow Texan fan from being disappointed. I wouldnt mind having VY, but it just does not look like its going to happen.

13. YaoMing

YaoMing Contributing Member

The Texans are better suited if it remains unknown who they will pick. If they keep people guessing then they will hear more interesting trade offers. This is purely a business move by Bob McNair, and I think Bush is still a lock. Im sure Carrol got something out of his conversation with McNair that helped Reggie along with his decision.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Rumors from who? "Sources close to the Broncos?" McClain is doing his job and getting quotes straight from McNair himself, I don't see Mortensen doing the same.

As I posted in another thread, some of us are picking and choosing what articles we want to believe. Some pro-Bush posters said that even if McNair said we were drafting Bush, us pro-VY posters still wouldn't believe him, but I guess that doesn't work the other way around does it?

I love how a rumor from an unknown source about who we're gonna draft 3 months in advance w/ no head coach in place can get more validation than a direct quote from McNair saying, "We don't know who we're going to draft right now," McNair said.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You didn't read John Clayton's blog last week where he said the Texans seem to be leaning to Young? You haven't listened to Skip Bayless the last several days on ESPN where he's said that his sources say Bob McNair has decided not to pass up Vince Young? You haven't listened to John McClain the last week as he's repeatedly said Young will likely be a Texan?

There are certainly lots of rumors of Bush to the Texans, but there have been quite a few Young to the Texans rumors as well. The Bush or bust supporters, though, are often too biased to consider or listen to the other side.

16. msn

msn Member

I'm with RM95 on this crap. Texans fans need to stop acting like freaking Democrats and Republicans here. We're talking about a three-month chapter in the history of this franchise, and I'm not interested in polarizing over it. Whoever is a Texan this summer is a Texan, and that's who I'm for. Period.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

^^^this is comical to say the least.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

In the end, I agree. I'm a fan no matter who they select, and I'm still going to go to the games, and I'm still going to buy merchandise. I have my preference, but it's about the team, and whoever they select I'll be a fan of. It makes it a lot easier because both players are true once in a generation talents and we're fortunate to be in a position to get either one of them.

19. Rockets34Legend

I'm rooting for Bush, but if we get VY, that's fine by me also.

I just still believe in Carr's ability to be the QB of this squad.

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Who listens to anything Skip Bayless and Woody Paige says? If he said the Texans were leaning towards Bush I wouldn't pay much attention to that either. John McClain seems to write about things he wants to happen instead of what the Texans are going to do. John Clayton is pretty good so I guess its a slim chance they consider Young but Bush will be a lock when Carr gets that 3 year deal next month.