1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON]How Alston's floaters start dropping

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by doublebogey, Mar 5, 2008.

1. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

After 2 years, Alston's floaters are actually dropping. It's a miracle.
    Why now? Argh!!! It's really simple: Alston is finally free to work on the floaters with someone who can show you how.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We are so lucky to have Rick Adelman, I love his management approach.....

DD

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kind of interesting how he didn't get to do that for the first 8 years of his career.

4. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I'm looking forward to another round of Rick Adelman vs Phil Jackson playoff matchups that are going to occur in the future.

5. DaDakota

Do you think that the Rockets will face the Lakers? That would mean playoff advancement and that would be a fine thing indeed, and this time Jackson doesn't have a dominant big man......should be interesting.

DD

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I really like Justice's well-buttressed and substantial causal link for this conclusion, highlighted in the excerpt below:

Let me also point out his insight to point out the inadequacy of Tom Thibodeau et al when it came to working with Yao rather than Carroll Dawson - the results speak for themselves!

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

A lot of people call having to use personnel directors, video coordinators, etc instead of assistant coaches to be indicative of an owner not willing to give a coach a big budget. I mean, Cuban gives his coaches all the asst coaches their hearts desire. Would Justice call a coach with an unlimited budget on hiring to be a coach who doesn't use "front office" people. I could rewrite what Justice wrote to make it sound like Les Alexander is cheap.

Besides, what is he trying to say about Dean Cooper. The dude has always had a role with the players, when he hasn't been out doing scouting with Lindsey.

Dean Cooper has been here for awhile, since the Rudy days. In fact, he's been putting Rafer through drills that Jim Boylen brought to the Rockets. Also, under JVG, Dean Cooper run the Summer League with Tom Thibadeaux.

Read what Cooper says himself about Alston

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

"Some coaches are territorial. They believe it's the coaching staff against the front office, that no one outside of their little group ever had a good idea."

Obvious jab at Gundy.

Cant argue with it either. The control freak didnt want Barkely calling Rockets games. He wanted everything done behind closed door with no access to media. Babysitting his players and making them refuse to do interview with Craig Sager (who is a jerk, no doubt)?! Not allowing Dawson to work with Yao.....

The man had issues with control and I am glad Rockets dont have to deal with it anymore.

#8 Zboy, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

You know what, I really dont care how Alston did when he was not a Rocket.

But I want to know why Alston couldnt improve his weaknesses after he has become a Rocket.

10. DaDakota

Yes, but you are missing the point entirely...Adelman is willing to take outside suggestions and input rather than just from his assistant coaches.

I put that down to help as the article suggests and new found freedom on the floor this year.

DD

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

skip was a street baller and i guess they don't teach your proper technique on the AND1 tour.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's what Dennis Lindsey said about Dennis Cooper's role under JVG.

13. DaDakota

Do you think that means that it was limited only to the summer programs? Was Dean working with Alston during the season?

We know that CD was not allowed to work with Yao under JVG...which is strang to me, why not learn from both CD and Thibedeaux?

DD

14. Carl Herrera

and on the Milwaukee Bucks, and on the Miami Heat, and on the Toronto Raptors....

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

My feeling is that Will is more on target with Alston's sudden floater improvement......it has less to do with the coaches and more to do with who's currrently banging him ;)

16. kwng

kwng Member

Great to know he open to ideas. So you guys can let go any ideas you have got and let him decide.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he should have learned how to shoot straight and mid-range game as Sam's backup. Toronto he needed to stop fighting with the coach. i'm glad he turned it around for us.

18. Carl Herrera

What is Yao Ming doing this year because of working with CD that he wasn't doing last year?

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Adelman's staff has been very good at working individually with players and improving them.

He comes from same school as Phil Jackson. Not over-emphasizing on one field but working on everything....Players individually, offense, defense, team offense, defense, unpredictability on offense....

The Adelman bashers who kept saying "all offense and no defense", before he even coached a Rockets game are left with...

"Well yeah...but he just kept Gundy's defense."

Even if he did, arent you glad he did? So what's the problem folks?

Now you have a more intense Rockets defense with improving offense. Looks like Adelman hiring was an A+ move.

I like the idea of having a coach working with what you have and improve on it rather than keep trying to force what you have into something you would like to have.

#19 Zboy, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thank goodness Carroll Dawson got his hands on Yao Ming this year... how else would Yao have developed an inside game?