1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Francis slow to accept change, still bitter about leaving Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3000796

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

ORLANDO, FLA. - "I didn't go to that damn Super Bowl." :rolleyes::mad:

So much for Steve Francis putting the past behind him.

Within the first five minutes of his saying he wasn't hurt by the Rockets' decision to trade him for Tracy McGrady, you get the feeling Francis is really trying to convince himself.

"The NBA is a business, and I understand that."

The expression on his face is blank.

"I thought it was going to be special to play there my whole career." :rolleyes:

He wears a scowl.

"I've never been in a better basketball position or team situation."

He's smiling.

"I loved playing for Rudy Tomjanovich."

He's frowning.

It is a quite typical encounter with the artist formerly known as Stevie Franchise, the one who arrived in Houston as the next superstar who would take the torch from Hakeem Olajuwon but left five years later having never quite been able to rekindle the flame.

Here is Francis jawing and whining at referee Olandis Poole after an obvious and unnecessary carry on a crossover dribble move results in a first-half turnover on Tuesday night. And there is Francis taking the ball straight to the basket against Ben Wallace and Antonio McDyess of the defending champion Detroit Pistons for a critical fourth-quarter basket in a comeback win.

There is Francis causing a stir last year on Super Bowl Sunday by not travelling with his teammates to a game in Phoenix, and here is Francis in the role of leader of the new-look Magic's bid to become championship contenders.

The only thing that has changed is the uniform, which now says "Magic" across the front, as Francis has reached another crossroad in a career as frustrating as it is fabulous.

"I'm young and strong, and I can do the things this team needs me to do for a lot of years," Francis said one afternoon.

"Look at me, I'm old and getting beat up," he said the very next night.

He is 27 going on ... what exactly? Part point guard, part shooting guard, part Peter Pan, he can fly like something right out of a children's fantasy and, just the same, never grow up.

Here is Francis saying he is his own man in the dog-eat-dog world of professional sports, and there is Francis saying he'll no longer have a reason to get out of bed each day after the Magic traded his buddy Cuttino Mobley to the Kings on Jan. 10.

Magic general manager John Weisbrod said one of the reasons he broke up the Steve & Cuttino Show was to make Francis a better player by making him stand on his own.

Francis sniffs.

"My feelings haven't changed," he said. "I'm still wondering why Cuttino was traded. That's how I feel.

"Most people want to be comfortable where they work, right? So staying in a comfort zone is ideal for anybody, whatever you do for a living."

On Van Gundy

In one breath, Francis says he had no trouble trying to fit into coach Jeff Van Gundy's offense last season with the Rockets. Then in the next, he'll say how he feels so much better in Orlando because he doesn't have to play "robotic."

"Do you watch us play this season?" Francis asked. "Do you see how we get up and down the court, always running and pushing the ball?

"I can play my game here. I'm not constricted. I always said it's nothing against Jeff. That's just the way that his offense is. In practice, we barely scrimmaged up and down. We never ran."

Francis was a three-time All-Star with the Rockets but carried the image of potential unfulfilled. He often found the burden of expectations in Houston grating yet reacted angrily at news of the trade and had to be talked into reporting to Orlando by the Magic and his agent.

"It wasn't about being traded," Francis said. "I had just bought a $4 million house in Houston. I just loved that city so much.

"And ever since Hakeem left, I sold tickets to make the Toyota Center. Not trying to be conceited, but I sold the tickets that helped build that arena. Now I'm gone." :mad:

Never mind that the Rockets ranked 29th out of 30 NBA teams in attendance last season.

"Actually, the first time the trade really hit me was when I turned on the TV in the exhibition season and saw the Rockets and Sacramento in China," Francis said. "I said, 'Damn, you're supposed to be there.' I wanted to be there with Yao (Ming) in his country.

"I wouldn't say I feel betrayed. Just a casualty of the business decision by the owner of the Rockets and the coach and the organization. They traded the only guy to bring them championships for a couple of million dollars. Well, I didn't win bring any championships like Hakeem, didn't win a playoff series."

Which, of course, was part of the rub. The Rockets reached the playoffs only one time — last season — with Francis.

"One missed rebound by Yao at the end of Game 1, and I kicked the ball out of bounds at the end of Game 4," he said. "Those two plays, those two games. If they're different, we beat the Lakers, hands down." :mad: Blaming Yao... :rolleyes:

That's always the word with Francis — if.

Last week at Detroit, the ball came to him in a breakaway situation. Rather than go straight to the open basket, Francis tossed the ball ahead of him, caught it on a bounce and rammed it home as if part of a slam-dunk contest. Pistons coach Larry Brown was apoplectic. Few had ever seen such a maneuver in a game situation.

"Not many people in this league could even process it, let alone do it," said Magic coach Johnny Davis. "That's not to say I like it in that situation. It will come with time to Steve, when he learns that the easy way to do it is usually the best way to do it."

Among an elite group

He is currently one of only four players in the league — along with Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett and LeBron James — to average at least 20 points, six rebounds and six assists. They love Francis' flamboyance on the Magic. That is, when they aren't covering their eyes and cringing at his flamboyance.

"And I'm going to that Super Bowl this year, baby," Francis said. "Ain't nobody can stop me." :rolleyes:

Some things change. Some get traded to Orlando. :D

#1 Rockets34Legend, Jan 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

wow, we get the point that you don't like francis :rolleyes:
    you and fran are made for each other

you put a rolleyes after, "I thought it was going to be special to play there my whole career." what at all was wrong with that comment? he obviously loves this city and his time here and it's still dissapointing to him.

steve doesn't always say the right things but that's because he wears his emotions on his sleeve. i'm glad i got to watch him play as a rocket cause he left it all out on the floor every single night. (go ahead and make a superbowl comment now)

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

But, somehow, the Rockets, with an even slower and less athletic team than last year, are scoring more points and fast breaking more often this season. :rolleyes:

BULL-****ING-****! First, I asked the Rockets REPEATEDLY to get Steve to acknowledge the city of Houston, particularly during those years they were trying to get the arena passed and he NEVER ONCE said anything like, "I love Houston and I want to be here for my whole career."

Second, I know just a little about the arena campaign and this is the guy who would not attend a SINGLE arena event during the 2000 campaign. The only thing he showed up for was the mandatory open practice. Nothing else. Period. And it wasn't for lack of trying to get him there. Trying to get ANY players for events was pulling teeth, but Francis, who was the poster boy for the franchise, should have been going door-to-door like Rudy was if he really loved the city that much.

4. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

You can say all you want! But I do like Francis, he may not be a great great bb player, but he is a great person and great teammate.

Go Francis! Except the next game, of course.

5. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

His Hakeem Olajuwon comment just makes me laugh. Why is he trying to put himself on the same sentence as Hakeem?

Hey Steve, the Rockets traded Hakeem because he was on his last legs, not because he was a productive star ,yet, mistake filled player who could never be good enough to carry a team to a title, which was why you were traded.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well, aside from the fact we're not exactly bankrupting Brake Check and orlando is near the top of the league in fastbreak points, we play less defense, the rule emphasis has scoring up everywhere, and tracy mcgrady is just plain better for fastbreaks. it's certainly not like jvg had us running alot either year or is known for it at all and it's not as if a francis team is not running a ton now.

as for filling up the seats, those other issues aside, it was kinda funny to hear it considering getting 11K was a struggle last year. of course, our fans don't seem to react to much of anything. get yao, no big deal. new arena, no big deal. it doesn't even seem like people have shown up with tmac.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Uh, he also blamed himself.

But a pretty good read, could have read it w/o all the :mad:. We get the point.

8. mfclark

mfclark Member

The problem I have with this article is that people are going to be quick to jump on Blinebury's bandwagon and support this article, when it's really the same stuff with the opposite spin that has been coming out of Orlando all year long.

It's no different than the "propoganda" that has been coming from the Orlando media since the deal -- opinions about the players and the trade -- yet the former gets jumped all over as biased, stupid, held at the ear by Weisbrod, etc... while this almost certainly won't meet the same fate.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steve did say he saw himself playing in Houston his whole career. He said it once during a charity event that I know about. It was in his second or third year here.

I agree he could have done more for arena events. But he did state his loyalty to Houston and the team in previous years. In addition even after being traded he thanked the city of Houston and spoke highly of Houston as a city.

Sadly the Houston Chronicle charges an arm and a leg to look at their archives or I would post one article about it. But I do have a headline that indicates Francis and his loyalty to Houston from 2004 after the trade.

PRO BASKETBALL: STEVE FRANCIS / Francis stuck on Houston / Dealt to Magic, former Rocket's home, heart herehttp://www.chron.com/content/archive/ysearch.mpl?query=%27Francis+Ready%27+with+Rockets&databases=2005%3B2004%3B2003%3B2002%3B2001%3B2000%3B1999%3B1998%3B1997%3B1996%3B1995%3B1994%3B1993%3B1992%3B1991%3B1990%3B1989%3B1988%3B1987%3B1986%3B1985%3B&hview=2

If you are able to check the archives look for some articles around the time of his contract extension. I believe he talked about wanting to be a Rocket for life then as well.

10. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Yep, I will be at the game Monday (Hopefully) and I will give him a Standing Ovation. Even if I am the only one in Toyota Center (I doubted) giving him a Standing Ovation, then I will do it. I still love that guy. Great person.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think it was a good trade but I still love Francis. He loved being a rocket and stuck with it thick and thin and I will support him until he retires.

12. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

You make some fair points. If this article was written by anyone but Blinebury, I might not be as skeptical. This reminds me of when Blinebury baited his [only] buddy Hakeem into bashing the Rockets a few months after he was traded. Blinebury would sell his mother if it would allow him to write a negative article about her.

That being said, it was a fun read, from the sour grapes side of me. Nonetheless, getting bashed by a former player never helps an organization's image, or makes a team attractive to MLE free agents.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I gotta say bro, you can't make that comparison. If JVG had given Franchise the keys to the pantry like he gave to TMac, we woulda been scoring a lot more last year also.

Franchise obviously loved to play here, I can't believe the writer would try to make him out to be some sort of baby just because he wanted to stay in Houston. Would you rather he be someone like Roger Clemens? the media denounces players for being selfish, yet have no problem condemning players for wanting to stay. I'd like to have one of these writers get suddenly relocated to a town in Maine, and he has to go because he has no say in it, and see how the hell he feels about that.

Francis was not blaming yao by the way, he was just saying it like it is. the entire BBS killed Yao last year for that missed rebound, and rightfully so, Francis was just being honest. He put the blame on himself too, so I don't think we need to look into it anymore than what it is.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And Orlando is one of the top fast breaking teams in the league. The Rockets weren't running till it looked liked they were headed for the lottery and the players finally got JVG to let them run more. Either way, you can't seriously continue to argue that Francis somehow holds his team back from running.

As far as the stadium is concerned, I seen Steve say that before and I really wish he would understand that he had nothing to do with getting a new arena.

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Francis "scoring a lot more" doesn't necessarily translate into wins for his team. As bad a match as Francis and Van Gundy were, they were a 45 win 7th seed WC playoff team. (And in Francis's own words, "One missed rebound by Yao at the end of Game 1, and I kicked the ball out of bounds at the end of Game 4. Those two plays, those two games. If they're different, we beat the Lakers, hands down.")

Francis took two members of that team to ORL, added Grant Hill, Hedo Turkoglu, Pat Garrity, Jameer Nelson, and Dwight Howard and was given Carte Blanche to do what he wants. His Eastern Conference winning %age thus far for 82 translates into 46.5 wins.

Again, scoring a lot of points does not always translate into wins. And it's also a leap of faith to assume Francis with an "open pantry" would distribute the ball as well as McGrady. One I can't make.

17. jelanit

jelanit Contributing Member

I too will join you in that standing ovation.

18. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Francis is a punk. He does play hard on the court but not smart. This is why he was traded because he is to selfish and stupid to play in a structured system. I will relish watching the Orlando Magic get knocked out of the playoffs by a better defensive team.

19. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Stevie can't catch a break. Imagine if it were you being asked these questions. Do you honestly think you would do much better? The guy is obviously imperfect, but you can tell he's genuinely nice and he's got a big heart.

The dude really liked it here. Can you blame him? Throughout this whole thing I haven't heard one negative comment from Steve about Yao or the city. Even his comments about JVG have only been about the style of play.

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It seems that there are alot of posters here who, too, are bitter. Let it go guys, move on.