1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Deal gets Rockets' attention

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by soulsong999, Jan 1, 2004.

1. soulsong999

soulsong999 Member

Sorry if this has been posted. Players' reactions to Moochie's trade according to Megan @ Chron.

Deal gets Rockets' attention
    Players aware life in NBA can change in a hurry
    By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    Rockets officials sent a message this week, whether they wanted to or not.

Dissatisfied with the direction the team was headed, the Rockets made a trade Tuesday, sending Moochie Norris and John Amaechi to the New York Knicks for power forward Clarence Weatherspoon.

The news came as a shock to Rockets players, who suddenly became concerned with their own job security.

"Sometimes I think, `Who's next?' " said Yao Ming. "Maybe it's me."

Cuttino Mobley and Maurice Taylor had similar sentiments Wednesday night as they tried to adjust to life in the locker room without Norris. After more than four seasons with the Rockets, Norris was not only a fan favorite but a team favorite.

The players were saddened by his absence as they arrived at Toyota Center to play against Philadelphia. A few were openly upset. Steve Francis showed his feelings by replacing his No. 3 arm band with a No. 12 arm band, in support of Norris.

"It's definitely emotionally tough," Mobley said. "That's like one of your closest friends, you know what I mean? To see him gone is hard.

"It caught me off guard, but that's how life is. It's crazy. You know, I could get traded. You never know. Steve, anybody. Nobody is untouchable."

The Rockets entered play against the Sixers one game behind where they were a year ago. Everyone -- from general manager Carroll Dawson to Jeff Van Gundy and the players -- has expressed frustration with the mounting losses.

That's one reason some of the players aren't sure Tuesday's transaction was the last one they will see in the coming weeks. But they also know they cannot spend too much time worrying about it.

"They made a trade they felt bettered our team," Taylor said. "Anything as far as trades or what's going to happen, I leave that to the front office. I don't really worry about what's going to come or what may not come. It's really not my problem to worry about."

Taylor admitted the move did make him realize that there is no guarantee how long anyone will wear a Rockets jersey.

"Trades happen in the NBA," he said. "You hate to see (Norris) go, but it just opens your eyes. It's a business."

After spending only a little more than a year in the league, Yao is still adjusting to how the NBA runs its business. He spent a few years playing in the Chinese Basketball Association before coming here in 2002, and he has noted a number of differences between the leagues.

Yao said Norris would never have been traded midseason in China.

"No, that doesn't happen," Yao said. "They would never trade a Chinese player during the season."

Since the trade was made after Tuesday's practice, few players on the team were able to say good-bye to Norris. By early Wednesday, he had already cleaned out his locker and was in New York undergoing a physical.

"I called Moochie yesterday to see how he's doing," Mobley said. "Moochie's going to be OK. He's a strong dude."

The players are now anxious to look toward the future and see how the transaction winds up impacting their season.

"I'm going to miss Moo," forward Kelvin Cato said. "And I hope that Clarence is one of the guys that is going to help take us to the next level."

2. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

:(:(

who's gonna do the all the ritual stuff with cato now?

3. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

Moochie's a great person, but this is a business, and as much as I hate to see him go , it was a good move. Hope to still see him at the Comets games.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I don't think they'll let him play in the WNBA. Besides, he couldn't beat out Cooper. :)

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I've met a few basketball players in Houston and Moochie was always one of the nicest ones. I like him, but zone defense killed his game.

Hope he can play well in NY.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not against any trade that can make us stronger but I'm concerned that the Rockets might end up trading for players who may not be of immediate or real benefit in order to move any of our current team members because they aren't coming up to the expectation of the organization.
    The playoffs must remain the main goal for this year because it's essential for us to make it before we can get to the next level.

7. Charvo

Charvo Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see Charlie Ward be in a Rockets uniform either before this season is over or beginning of next season. Van Gundy is starting to look bad as a coach. He's got this team at even a WORSE pace than last year's team which was coached by Rudy T. I believe that Rudy T wasn't even respected that much among the coaches in the league. Pat Riley said he felt Rudy T didn't have control over the team. Imagine the embarrassment for Van Gundy if he doesn't get the Rockets to a better record than last season's. This guy is gripping like no other coach in the league due to the expectations of the Rockets by many critics. This trade to get Clarence Weatherspoon is just the first move in Van Gundy's desire to get players who he is acquainted with and will play hard for him. Van Gundy's minimum goal this season is to at least finish with a better record than last year.

8. Jallen

Jallen Member

To be honest, I don't like this trade 'cause we already have four power forwards. I really like Pacers' SF Ron Artest!!! Now he's got trouble with Rick Carlisle, and wanna leave Indianapolis, so why not make a deal with them?

9. montelwilliams

Moochie is a great person. But, this is a business. Good luck to Moochie.

10. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

coz he's more of a cancer than all the portland jailblazers put together. but inside the court, i think he will fit in jvg's system coz he's a hard-nosed hardcore defender. but imo, eventhough he would fit jvg's system, he's a cancer to every team he goes so, i wont take him.

11. sup123

sup123 Member

hopefully steve next. It doesent look like he gonna fit in JVG system.

12. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Good Luck Moochie in NY....see you next week in the garden. I hope he don't end up dropping 30+ points on us and dunking over Yao.

13. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

HAHA, can Mooch dunk? It was a long time for me to even see Allen Iverson dunk, but I know he can.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Quit whining and play!

15. SCOOTER T.

SCOOTER T. Contributing Member

After Moochie got his contract his product started to wane. Two high paid bench warmer are gone, Moochie and Amache. Now we have a new one from NY, he only takes one seat on the bench..

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The Rockets made the right decision. They eliminated a sub NBA level player from our NBA Team. Moochie was a blight and was one of Steves Boys. I say its a good move when you START to break up a clique and take control of your Team.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well said Yetti....

2 malcontents gone.....EG, and Mooch......and neither the main focus...but it will get the players attention.

WAKE UP CALL BOYS !!

DD

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's not lost on me that Steve did not/would not comment about the trade. He's got to be really pissed. If Cat is next, he might blow a top.

Evan

19. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

I agree with you.. What I concern is who will take his MAX contract. I believe steve can be better in a system with a decent PG not him. Steve is a great guy but not a court leader.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good points...if nothing else in the Mooch/Meech for Spoon trade, it was a WAKE UP call for the rest of the team to start playing well or you will be shipped out.