1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Mannix: Yao's 24 min limit may be reevaluated in DEC

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yao#1, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

According to Chris Mannix on Twitter, the 24 min limit on Yao is strict through December at which time Houston will reevaluate and possibly extend his minutes at that point.

Sorry dont know how to post a link

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think until he gets to 28 minutes a game, the team will struggle with an identity.

Why 28? That is 7 minutes a quarter and enough to get cohesion.

24 is just a part time off the bench player....like CBud.....

Yao's situation is hurting the team finding itself....

DD

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I knew this was coming eventually. :rolleyes: Minds change quick after two losses.

1 person likes this.
  4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Not surprised, Morey has been saying that this arrangement would be reevaluated after this first part of the season.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So you're saying that a minute a quarter makes all the difference?

6. DaDakota

Yeah, I think it does make a difference if he is going to be a starter....6 minutes is just not enough to get cohesion.....IMO.....

Or, if he has a 24 minute limit, it should not be as a starter.....

DD

7. Steve_Francis_rules

An extra minute per quarter might not seem like much, but it is a 16% increase in his minutes. That's fairly substantial.

8. Steve_Francis_rules

I'm actually more interested in knowing when the decision to hold Yao out of back-to-backs will be reevaluated. I think that's probably going to hurt the team's chemistry more than the cap on his minutes.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

As long as Yao doesn't get injured, everything else is just details.

10. DaDakota

At some point I think the organization needs to find out if he can handle bigger minutes in order to even offer him another contract.

We all want what is best for Yao, but the Rockets need to know what he is or is not capable of going forward before signing him again.

DD

11. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

it will be gosh there are so many variables. i mean the rockets are supposed to beat GS without yao. as a matter of fact they should be better agianst this team without yao. just that the warriors shot unbelievably high percentage

12. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I dont like the 24min thing, but I get the idea. The one I have a prob with is 0min in b2bs. Thats just silly.

13. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

DD got the point.......28 to 30 minutes from Yao will be great for Rockets....

What about those back to back games?

I noticed another thing: AB plays more like a PG and more efficient when Yao is on the court, but he is always a little bit out of control without Yao. Wish somebody can tell me why.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thank you, God!

(spoken in the voice of the kid in "Animal House" who receives a "gift" through his open window)

Yao needs to play 28-30 mpg during the season. It's too much to ask Adelman to use a part-time superstar. It throws everything way off kilter.

It's like MacArthur responding to Truman's order not to bomb the northern half of a bridge leading from North Korea to China: "In my all my fifty years of military service, I have never learned how to bomb HALF a bridge!"

It just ain't gowanns to work.

Hopefully Yao's minutes will go up at about the time we address our horrific defense.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I believe Yao also needs to find out if the rockets are a real good team in order to even accept another contract.

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

He basically said that the rockets don't need Yao. They should build around Brooks and CBud. :rolleyes:

17. SkillzThatKillz

I think I'm more concerned about back-to-backs... :(

18. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I am also curious how they came up with the 24-minute per game diagnosis. It'd great if Yao can play more minutes. This team won't go very far without him contributing significantly.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I liked Barkley's comment. When Yao was warming up he asked if those minutes counted towards the the 24. Makes sense kinda... almost ridiculous.

20. DaDakota

I think you have to play Yao back to back as well.....if he is going to play, let him play.

Let him rest by reducing his practice time, not his game time.

This is what I am talking about, no identity, no cohesion....AB is pressing too hard......if Yao is going to be on the team he needs to play every game.

DD