1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Ford Mock v 5.0

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by arif1127, Jun 15, 2011.

1. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...ory?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-110615

With the June 13 date to withdraw from the NBA draft and the adidas Eurocamp behind us, we are now just a week from when the selections will be made.

The draft remains fluid at this point. Teams are still engaged in the workout process and are beginning to narrow down their lists, but the final draft order is still far from certain.

"Good luck with your mock draft," one GM said to me as he was departing Treviso, Italy. "I'll be interested in seeing who we are taking since I still don't know."

Here's our most informed take, after talking to numerous NBA team sources, about how the draft might play out June 23.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Cleveland
    (via L.A. Clippers)

Kyrie Irving

Position: PG
    Height: 6-foot-4
    Weight: 191 pounds
    School: Duke
    Analysis: There have been a lot of interesting theories floating around the past week about why Cleveland won't be taking Irving No. 1. I still don't buy it. The Cavs have been shopping Baron Davis and Ramon Sessions hard in the past week.

Williams is still in the picture here at No. 1 in part because the Cavs feel they could get a very good point guard (either Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker) at No. 4 ... but sources continue to stress that it's Irving's to lose.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota

Derrick Williams

Position: PF
    Height: 6-9
    Weight: 249
    School: Arizona
    Analysis: Still hearing that the Wolves are hoping they can get a great offer for the No. 2 pick. But if they don't they'll just take Williams and work out the rest this summer via trades. If they get Williams, Michael Beasley could be gone by the time next season starts.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Utah
    (via New Jersey)

Brandon Knight

Height: 6-3
    Weight: 177
    School: Kentucky
    Analysis: Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker are both possibilities at guard. Enes Kanter, Jonas Valanciunas and Jan Vesely will also get a look here. The Jazz have a huge workout on June 15 when Walker and Jimmer Fredette are expected to work out for them.

Knight will come in at some point too, though he still seems to be refusing to work out with Walker or Fredette. While it's still possible the Jazz go big with this pick and select either a player like Kanter, Valanciunas or Vesely -- they're likely to try to select a franchise point guard if either Knight or Walker blows them away. If Fredette wins the battle on the 15th ... that could push the Jazz to go big here and try to nab Fredette with the 12th pick.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Cleveland

Jonas Valanciunas

Position: C
    Height: 6-10
    Weight: 230
    Analysis: I've had Kanter in this position since Mock Draft 1.0, but it's time to make the biggest change I've made to our board. From what I gather, the Cavs appear to be cooling a bit on Kanter and warming to Valanciunas.

Vesely and Leonard are in the picture too and would both be good fits. But this may be the Cavs' only chance to draft a legit 7-foot center. Valanciunas is raw, but he has big upside.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Toronto

Jan Vesely

Height: 6-11
    Weight: 240
    Analysis: Bryan Colangelo could go a number of directions here. He has strong interest in both Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker. If Knight is on the board, I think he doesn't get past here. If just Walker is here, the question for Colangelo is what to do with Leandro Barbosa and Jerryd Bayless. Both players are similar to Walker.

The Raptors could go with an international player such as Kanter, Valanciunas, Vesely or Bismack Biyombo. Of the four, sources say, Vesely is the highest on their board.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Washington

Enes Kanter

Weight: 260
    Analysis: The Wizards know they aren't taking a point guard -- not with John Wall in the fold. So the questions are: Who's the best player on the board and what do they need? The Wizards are very high on Vesely, but in this mock he's off the board.

Kawhi Leonard is an option. He brings toughness, defense and versatility to a team that can use all three attributes. But the Wizards are really looking for rebounding help up front and Kanter is a very good fit here. He's tough, he isn't afraid to be physical and he has good size. Tristan Thompson is a dark horse here as well.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Sacramento

Kawhi Leonard

Position: SF
    Height: 6-7
    Weight: 228
    School: San Diego State
    Analysis: If the draft plays out this way, the Kings could go in three different directions. They could go with Leonard, who would help solve a major need at small forward or they could choose between Walker and Fredette at the point. We've had Walker in this position for weeks, but mostly because we've had Leonard off the board.

Fredette, as we've been writing for the past two weeks, is the dark horse here. The Maloof brothers love him and he's probably a better fit in the Kings' backcourt than Walker. If Leonard is off the board, Fredette could be the pick.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Detroit

Kemba Walker

Height: 6-1
    Weight: 184
    School: UConn
    Analysis: For the past few weeks, we've had the Pistons taking Valanciunas, but with Valanciunas now going No. 4, it looks like the Pistons will be down to three prospects: Kemba Walker, Tristan Thompson and Bismack Biyombo.

Walker is the safe pick, though he doesn't actually fill a major need. Thompson has upside. And, from what I gather, the team is still very high on Biyombo. The Pistons know how to develop a defensive stopper like him and I'm told their trip to Spain to see him went well.

Still, at the end of the day, I think the Pistons draft the best player available, Walker, and look at moving Rodney Stuckey to the 2.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Charlotte

Marcus Morris

School: Kansas
    Analysis: The Bobcats haven't been the greatest drafters the past few years. Michael Jordan is determined to change that. The thinking in Charlotte is to not take big risks. To go with a proven product. To aim at the double instead of the home run.

Morris, with his versatility, toughness and Kansas pedigree is a very good option. Klay Thompson, Chris Singleton and Jordan Hamilton are all in the mix as well.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Milwaukee

Klay Thompson

Height: 6-7
    Weight: 206
    School: Washington St.
    Analysis: I think this pick likely comes down to Thompson and Alec Burks. They play the same position, but have different strengths. Thompson is a shooter, Burks is a slasher.

With the Bucks telling me pretty strongly that they're holding on to Brandon Jennings as their point guard, and with the team making a strong drive to get back in the playoffs, I think Thompson is a better fit.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Golden State

Bismack Biyombo

Weight: 243
    Analysis: Jerry West is a fan of Klay Thompson and would likely select him if he's still on the board. But if he and Marcus Morris are off the board, the Warriors could be the team that takes a chance on Biyombo. The team desperately needs to improve its defense, shot-blocking and rebounding. Biyombo has the tools to do that right away.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Utah

Chris Singleton

School: Florida State
    Analysis: We've had Singleton here for weeks and we're not moving him unless the Jazz draft a forward with the No. 3 pick. With Andrei Kirilenko heading into free agency, the Jazz are going to want a defensive stopper who can guard multiple positions.

Tristan Thompson, Jimmer Fredette and Alec Burks are all possibilities here too.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Phoenix

Alec Burks

Position: SG
    Height: 6-6
    Weight: 193
    School: Colorado
    Analysis: The Suns are in that awkward spot between pushing for the playoffs and rebuilding. Lon Babby says the team will be emphasizing defense and Tristan Thompson could be a solid direction to go.

But if Burks is on the board, he may be very hard to pass up on. He has star potential if he ever learns how to shoot. With Vince Carter likely out of the picture in Phoenix, Burks also fits a need.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Houston

Nikola Vucevic

Height: 7-0
    Weight: 260
    School: USC
    Analysis: Could Vucevic really go this high? That's the word among a number of NBA GMs who are raving about his workouts. Some have argued that the differences between him and Enes Kanter are very slim.

With the Rockets in desperate need of some size in the paint, Vucevic could be the answer. He's not the world's greatest athlete, but he is skilled, has an NBA body and is ready to play now.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Indiana

Jimmer Fredette

Weight: 196
    School: Brigham Young
    Analysis: The Pacers could go a number of different ways here, but for the third straight week I think Fredette will be their man. There's a good chance that Jimmer is off the board when they draft, but if he's here, he'll be very hard to pass up.

Tristan Thompson and Markieff Morris are all also serious options here as well if both are still on the board.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Philadelphia

Tristan Thompson

School: Texas
    Analysis: Thompson could go as high as No. 5 or No. 6. But he also could slide. Just about every team I spoke to likes him a lot, but I've yet to find the team that's fallen in love. I doubt he slips further than this though. The Sixers need more size, toughness and rebounding. Thompson provides all three. Jordan Hamilton and Markieff Morris are also options here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New York

Marshon Brooks

Position: SG
    Height: 6-5
    Weight: 195
    School: Providence
    Analysis: The Knicks are really hoping that either Klay Thompson or Jimmer Fredette fall to them. But if they don't, watch out for Brooks. He had a great workout in New York, has the sort of swagger that Knicks guards need and the Knicks were wowed by his ability to pass the ball too.

Brooks, at 22, doesn't have the upside of a guy like Josh Selby, but his size advantage is big and so is his ability to step in and play right away.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Washington
    (via Atlanta)

Jordan Hamilton

Weight: 229
    School: Texas
    Analysis: Hamilton is often compared to Wizards small forward Rashard Lewis. Both are big men with sweet strokes that can catch fire. But with Lewis on the back end of his career and the Wizards actively shopping him, I don't think the team will shy away from adding another scorer to put around John Wall.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Charlotte
    (via New Orleans)

Markieff Morris

Position: PF/C
    Weight: 241
    Analysis: The Bobcats have needs just about everywhere and Morris should be a good fit. He's strong, he's defensive minded, he rebounds and he blocks shots. He's a bit undersized to play the 5, but his ability to stretch the floor will be welcomed.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota
    (via Memphis)

Donatas Motiejunas

Height: 7-0
    Weight: 220
    Analysis: The Wolves have the best group of international scouts in the NBA and if Motiejunas falls this far, I think they'd snap him up here. He's an aggressive scorer and has size -- two things the Wolves could use in the post.

Marshon Brooks, Kenneth Faried, Nikola Mirotic and Charles Jenkins are also possibilities.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Portland

Kenneth Faried

Height: 6-8
    Weight: 225
    School: Morehead State
    Analysis: The Blazers fell in love with Faried last year before he withdrew from the draft. If they are fortunate enough to get a second chance at him this year, they'll grab him. His relentlessness on the boards is a nice complement to LaMarcus Aldridge's more offensive-minded style.

Markieff Morris, Tobias Harris, Darius Morris, Reggie Jackson are other players to watch.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Denver

Tobias Harris

Weight: 223
    School: Tennessee
    Analysis: Harris may be one of the more underrated players in the draft. He can play both the 3 and 4, and he has a very high basketball IQ and an NBA body. Harris doesn't do any one thing at an elite level, but he is one of the most well-rounded players in the draft.

Charles Jenkins, Iman Shumpert and Tyler Honeycutt are other possibilities here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Houston
    (via Orlando)

Darius Morris

Height: 6-4
    Weight: 190
    School: Michigan
    Analysis: We have the Rockets going big with pick No. 14 and we have them going big again at No. 23. Morris is a different kind of big. He's a point guard who towers over the competition. If he were a better shooter he'd be going much, much higher in the draft. But at this point he's a steal.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Oklahoma City

Nikola Mirotic

Weight: 226
    Analysis: Sam Presti is an opportunist, and he is patient -- two critical traits in a great GM. Mirotic, based on talent, is a lottery pick. But a massive buyout means he won't be playing in the NBA anytime soon. Mirotic shocked NBA teams by deciding to stay in the draft.

It will likely take him three years to actually make it to the NBA, but given the talent level, the Thunder could be getting a major steal down the road. If Mirotic is off the board, Davis Bertans and Bogan Bogdanovic are possibilities.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Boston

Jeremy Tyler

Weight: 263
    Team: Tokyo Apache
    Analysis: The Celtics are going to start rebuilding soon and they need to hit a home run again the same way they did with Rajon Rondo. Tyler could be that guy. If he had played in college, he might have had a chance to be a top-10 pick with his talent.

He's long, athletic and raw, but if he succeeds, he could be a major pickup for the Celtics. JaJuan Johnson, Justin Harper and Jon Leuer are also possibilities.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Dallas

Josh Selby

Weight: 195
    Analysis: The Mavs have won the title, but now it's time to begin thinking about the future. While the Mavs may have one more long run in those veteran legs, it's unlikely. Selby, like Tyler, could be a home run if he's developed right. His ability to get to the basket is really unmatched.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New Jersey
    (via L.A. Lakers)

Reggie Jackson

Weight: 208
    School: Boston College
    Analysis: Yes, the Nets have Deron Williams. But he's not a sure thing to stay in New Jersey after next season. Even if he does, Jackson would be a terrific backup and a player who could play off the ball in certain situations.

Had he not had a knee injury when the predraft process began, he could've gone much higher. He's great value here. Justin Harper, Tyler Honeycutt, JaJuan Johnson and Jeremy Tyler are all options here too.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Chicago
    (via Miami)

Justin Harper

School: Richmond
    Analysis: Harper was one of the best stretch 4s in college basketball last season. He also has size and is a pretty good athlete. The Bulls need perimeter shooting and Harper should be able to give them some.

Charles Jenkins, Tyler Honeycutt and Jeremy Tyler are also possibilities.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

San Antonio

Davis Bertans

Weight: 210
    Analysis: The Spurs have done a good job over the years of finding young international players and stashing them overseas for a few years until they're ready.

Bertans showed he can be a big-time shooter at the Nike Hoop Summit and adidas Eurocamp. At 18, he's worth taking a flier on and seeing what he can accomplish after another year or two in Europe.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Chicago

Tyler Honeycutt

Position: G/F
    Weight: 188
    School: UCLA
    Analysis: The Bulls need scorers in their backcourt and ultimately need to find a backup for Derrick Rose at point guard. Honeycutt wasn't a dominating scorer in college, but his versatility should make him a nice fit in Chicago.

1 person likes this.
  2. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I really like Vucevic. I hope his stock really isn't that high. Draftexpress has us drafting him at 23.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks for posting. A few thoughts:

1. Vucevic seems to be moving up people's draft boards. Sam Amick had him being drafted by Philly at 16 and said the Rockets were looking at him, too. As I said before, he seems to be the kind of guy Morey would look at as a "value" pick. Really great size, excellent production against good (Pac-10) competition, improved every year in college, only 20 years old, even has the "high born" pedigree of being the son of a 24(!)-year European pro. He has solid enough atheleticism for a guy that size... no hops, moves around horizontally well enough.

He's got that Patrick Patterson smell to him.

2. Darius Morris' description reminded me of early Lowry-- i.e. would be so much better only he could shoot. Shooting, I think, is more fixable than other flaws (like being short, unatheletic, lacking in handles, or stupid)

3. The way this mock draft plays out, I am thinking that, if the Rockets were to move up, the most likely partner is Sacramento and I think the target would be Biyombo, or maybe one of the other Euros (Kanter, Valanciunas, Vesely) should the fall to 7.

My reasons:
    (a) Ford says Kings like Fredette, who may be available at 14 (Ford had him going 15), especially if Utah went with a PG at 3.
    (b) The Kings and Rockets seems to have a good rapport regarding trades (and it's not all about Adelman since he is not, presumably the guy who makes the GM to GM calls).

I am thinking something that makes sense would be 14+23+Brad Miller+ T.Williams or Hill for 7+either Garcia or Beno.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Vucevic and Darius Morris?

Sign me up, please. I'd be pretty damn happy with that 1st round.

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The next Nenad Kristic?

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Who is Chris Ford?

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

Vucevic sounds good, if he's NBA ready, he could easily be the missing piece for playoffs.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Vucevic looks good. There's a couple of players i am sure will end up being great pros (Marshon Brooks comes to mind), but Vucevic is about as solid of a pick as we can make at 14 that fills a major need. I really like the way he's majorly improved every year in college. I keep thinking about Omar Asik, and wondering how Vucevic compares to Asik when he was drafted in the 2nd round a few years ago. Vucevic strikes me as more coordinated and athletic, but for a guy his size, he should have averaged more than 1..4 blocks per game in college. Has anyone seen this guy play much? What kind of an enforcer in the paint can he be?

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The problem is that all of those guys suck. This is the weakest draft I've seen in many years.

10. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Really? You think that? All the experts say this is stocked-full of elite talent :rolleyes:

11. Yaowwwww

Yaowwwww Member

I like the Vucevic pick... rather it not be that high but 17ppg and 10rpg in college isn't too bad (much better than thabeet) plus he showed vast improvement over each season he played at USC

1 person likes this.
  12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I don't think he'll be anywhere near as good as Asik is on defense. NBA GM's really messed up letting him slide to the second round. Vucevic just doesn't seem to have the defensive instinct that Asik had, and I just can't see him developing that aspect of his game.

If anything, I see him becoming a Scola with enough size to be a mediocre defender. I also might be underselling him on his lateral speed, but don't expect another Defender like Asik to fall that far any time soon.

On offense, he has some great post moves for a 20 year old kid. If we do draft him, I expect him to fit in to our long term plans with Patterson having a more defensive focus on his development. Not a bad line-up to move forward with if he ends up panning out.

13. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I don't have a huge issue with Vucevic, but the Rockets need to find a way to use that 14th pick on a more dynamic player.

If Biyombo is going as far back as 11 the Rockets have to find a way to move up to 10 to get him. They have assets and other picks and the Bucks or other teams in the 8-11 area may be able to get who they want at 14.

Biyombo is going to be the best player in the draft and Vucevic is just going to be a decent player.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

15. AFS

AFS Member

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rDqJGJwAU0M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Biyombo is gonna be a huge project. Right now his only offense consists of dunking the ball and honestly his offense looks worse than Thabeet. He's got bad hands and no post moves. Defensively, sure, he's a shotblocker which is something we need, but we need a defensive center who isn't a liability offense. I'd rather someone else play for us.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wow, you sound really certain of that.

I like Biyombo (6'9" in shoes), but he's a project, and i don't see how he matches up with legit centers like Bynum and Howard. Thank god there really aren't any Shaqs, Robinsons, or Hakeems playing in the league right now, and Boston was getting by fine with a 6'10" Perkins at the 5. Nene is 6'10" at most. So perhaps Biyombo can play the 5, but it's certainly not a sure thing. I see Biyombo as more of a Ratliff-type PF, and I'm not excited about us drafting another PF unless we've already pulled the trigger on a scola deal.

17. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I really like Vucevic. I was hoping he'd be there at #23, but that doesn't seem realistic anymore. I'm all for drafting him at #14. He has good footwork and a pretty nice stroke.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hcgpIuD_JyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If they like Vucevic then I say go for him with the 14th pick. He's not going to set the world on fire with his defense but he is fundamentally solid, has a sweet jump shot, can stretch the floor, and has the size to guard most 5's.

Vucevic would be an excellent fit next to Patterson, but not necessarily with Scola. Scola needs a better defender around the rim to make up for his lack of interior presence.

If they can get anything out of Thabeet this year and use him in certain situations then I like the future front line mix of-

C- Vucevic/ Thabeet/ Hayes/Hill
    PF-Patterson/ Scola/ Hayes/Hill

-Anything you get out of Thabeet and Hill this season is a bonus. They can make you look better coming off the bus for all I care. Miller is out till at least January so Im really not expecting him to even dress up this season.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

his stats are eerily similar to Kevin Love's at UCLA. Granted, different schools and years, but same conference. Of course the real difference is the lack of athleticism. Still, he makes up for it with his standing reach (9.5)... shoudl be a solid backup at least for a number of years. You want more, but even at 14, that could be a solid pick.

Still, i too would hope he is available at 23. NBAdraft.net has him at 27..

20. Yaowwwww

Yaowwwww Member

Biyombo is a lot of hype... probably ends up being a lower-end darko