1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CD] Yi Hardens Stance Against Bucks; Sina poll: 82% Say Yi Should Stay with Bucks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SamFisher, Jul 20, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yi hardens stance against Milwaukee
    By Zhao Rui (China Daily)
    Updated: 2007-07-20 07:12

Yi Jianlian trains with teammates during a training session for China's national team on Tuesday. Yi said he backs his agent Dan Fegan who has been trying to force a trade since Milwaukee Bucks picked Yi in the 2007 NBA Draft on June 28. Xinhua

Yi Jianlian has finally broken his silence on the controversy surrounding his NBA future, saying Chinese fans are wrong to blame his agent Dan Fegan for the ongoing stand-off with the Milwaukee Bucks.

His words reaffirm his desire to be traded by the franchise, which took him with the sixth pick in the 2007 NBA Draft despite his objections.

"Fegan is a responsible agent, and I have a lot of fun working with him," Yi told reporters at the national team training camp in Beijing. "So far we have cooperated really well and our relationship is not as bad as media and fans speculate."

As Yi's stand-off with the Bucks continues, many in China have started to criticize Fegan believing him to be the main barrier preventing the player from committing to the franchise.

But Yi said this is not the case.

"I've read some of the media reports, but I don't think he has made too many decisions for me," he said. "It's clear that he works for me, so everything he is doing is based on my ideas."

His comments drew an instant reaction from netizens.

Of 2,400 respondents to a Sina.com poll, 84 percent said Yi's words were "unwise" and just 6 percent believed he should back his agent.

The 19-year-old power forward hired Fegan last year, and he has played a major role in steering Yi's future.

He organized private training for Yi and refused several teams - the Bucks included - access to his workouts. It is thought Yi wants to play in a city with a large Chinese population.

The latest online poll by Sina.com found that 82 percent of more than 20,000 respondents want Yi to remain a Buck. Added to this, 71 percent think the Bucks is a suitable team for Yi to begin his NBA career with.

And it's not just the fans that are losing patience.

"I have heard about it, I hope he can solve his troubles as soon as possible and concentrate on the national team," China's head coach Jonas Kazlauskas told China Daily.

Several big names have urged Yi to end the turmoil and join the Bucks.

"I think Yi should know his agent works for him, it's not him who works for his agent. He will have to make a decision for himself," NBA legend Scottie Pippen told China Daily last week. "Just looking at the fact that he doesn't want to play in that market, I think he should really try to reconsider and embrace the fact that not only are you a part of the NBA, but you have a chance to go out and make a name for yourself."

"Yi should stand up and speak for himself," said Houston Rockets center Yao Ming. "You cannot let anybody control you. You should make your own decisions."

However, Yi's boss Chen Haitao, chief of the Guangdong Tigers, claimed on Monday that his player will "definitely not" play for the Bucks because Yi will not get enough playing time in Milwaukee to prepare him for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

US media and fan opinion is starting to turn firmly against Yi - particularly after Chen's comments.

"Forgive me while I try to contain my laughter," wrote Sports Illustrated analyst Chris Mannix. "Truth be told, the idea that Yi is ready to step in and contribute right away is ludicrous The learning curve for some rookies is practically a 90 degree angle, and the fact that Yi has faced very little American competition means his will be enormous."

"If Yi is so set on playing somewhere with a large Chinese population, I can think of the perfect locale - China," wrote a commentator on Hoopsvibe.com.

If Yi decides the Bucks just isn't for him, he will have to sit out the entire 2007-08 season before rejoining next year's draft unless he can secure a trade. This appears an unlikely option given the national team's preparations for 2008.

"Is there any team able to give Yi more minutes than the Bucks?" said Cathy Xing, a basketball fan in Beijing. "I cannot imagine teams like Spurs or Pistons will give him more time and get him into the starting line-up. Will any head coach sideline Tim Duncan and Rasheed Wallace to give a position to Yi? Obviously not."

Given the fact that the Bucks were 28-54 last year, earning minutes should not be a problem for a player with as much talent as Yi.

The team in fact has a major hole at power forward: incumbent Charlie Villenueva, who is coming off a serious injury, is more comfortable at small forward.

Yi is now training with the national team in Beijing and will compete in the Stankovic Cup in Guangzhou in July 28. Bucks general manager Larry Harris is scheduled to come to China then to meet Yi and Chen.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2007-07/20/content_5440165.htm

#1 SamFisher, Jul 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

What's CSD?

3. SamFisher

it was supposed to be CD but I mistyped

4. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Everyone knew the Bucks were taking a chance when they took Yi. I hope Yi knows he's also taking a chance backing out.

Thanks to both of their gambles it could very well be a lose/lose situation.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If only he would harden his stance under the rim so he could actually grab a rebound or two.

6. foo82

foo82 Member

Yi is so weak minded.

7. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I guess we can't make any more francis comparisons to criticize him.

8. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Too bad for him. He had a chance to play in the best basketball league in the world. I don't know what the problem is, but that guy needs to grow up and just play the game. He would get tons of playing time.

9. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

God Yi, shut up and play for the bucks already. This whole thing is embarrassing. Real bad start to your career.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So maybe everyone can stop bashing the Guangdong Tigers and Dan Fegan and put responsibility where it belongs: On Yi. He finally has the courage to come out from behind the curtain. Too bad he didn't have the guts to do this while at Las Vegas. The comment about playing before a large Asian population is so appropriate: Just stay in China and don't bother with the NBA.

11. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Exactly.

12. SupraJames

SupraJames Member

Though those words came straight out of Yi's mouth, I still believe his agent and the circumstances surrounding him forced/affected him to release that statement.

Link: Who's behind Yi's mess

I believe this article holds more truth and hits all the right points. The shortsighted view is to blame Yi, the player, and yes even though we can bash him to "man up" all we want, you have to consider the culture he's from and situation that he's caught up in.

13. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Isn't it ironic that he comes from a system where the team owns your ass, tells you what to do, and pays you crap for it. He gets an opportunity to come over here to play in the NBA for real $$$ and he (he being he, Fegan, and his CBA team) wants to call the shots and be in control of who he plays for. I know he has great potential, but as far as NBA readiness he is not even top 10 in this rookie class IMO.

14. SamFisher

I am not surprised that most Chinese according to the Sina poll want him to shut up and sign with Milwaukee. The whole thing is very embarrassing for him.

15. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

If Yi still have the wet dream of millions of endorsement $$, he needs to wake up. No company would dare to touch him with 10 feet pole now.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Not true. Yi's been getting well paid by playing in CBA. I have no doubts he also gets plenty of commercial endorsement domestically, like many other famous Chinese athletes. Even if he doesn't earn a single penny off the NBA, he is pretty much guaranteed to live comfortably in China.

17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'm thinking of the likelihood he'll be drafted again should he opt out for this entire season and enter next years draft. I doubt he'll be lottery bound, and would likely be a mid to high teens pick if that. The NBA is filled with all sorts of egos to deal with, but for such an unproven commodity to raise such a fuss is asinine. Purely from a money standpoint, doesn't he know he's screwing up on making millions by not taking the lottery contract the Bucks are giving him, while also screwing over his image and chances for endorsements which is where the real money is? Money is money. Take the deal, and buy a house in LA in the off season for all I care, but more than that for his own sake, play the damn game.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what are you talking about?

Pampers
    Gerber
    Osh Kosh

19. yobod

yobod Member

How hilarious would it be if the Bucks drafted him again next year, just to stick it to him and whoever else is involved?

20. been_exed

been_exed Member

i doubt anyone will take him in the first round next year if he opts out this year