1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carter's Contract is SCARY!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by matty101, Feb 17, 2009.

1. matty101

matty101 Member

Now this a bit premature for sure, but there is way too much Pro-Carter happening on this board. I think some people are getting too bogged down in the current situation, that being a team in turmoil with ageing and underperforming stars, as well as seeing what Carter is doing in NJ, and are instantly excited about the possibilty of him in a Rockets uniform.

Carter is a former star who is having a VERY good year however he has a reputation to be horribly inconsistant, somewhat of a cancer and a quitter. Now im not saying he isnt a good fit for the team and im not saying he wouldnt be an upgrade over what we have right now, but his contract is something in the range of 4 years at 60 million. Although this does include a team option in the 4th year, it still means that he would be on our books until the end of the 2011/2012 season. That is an extremely long time to have a star on the decline. He will be 35!

Furthermore, Yao Ming's window of opportunity is slowly slipping as well. He is not going to be a superstar centre for a whole lot longer. This means that his talent could also be wasted if our team's payroll is being chewed up by an ageing star on the decline.

Again, this is definatly premature, and could very well be completely unnecessary to worry about (these are still just rumors guys), but it is just another thing to think about other than the current situation with Tmac and Ron which a lot of you are so bogged down on.

Its a massive commitment, and i dont know if a move of such high risk, could potentially bring us as high of a reward.

PS. Dont shoot me down about facts and figures, im in a rush and havent had time to research, hence the poor grammer and spelling mistakes. :D

Just my 0.02 cents.

Matty.

2. matty101

matty101 Member

BTW, i have raised this point in other threads, its just i think it is a big enough issue to have its own thread. :D

Cheers.

3. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

so do you suggest we just let artest walk after the season? What do you think we should do?

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

At least get your facts straight. Carter's deal would come off the books at the end of the 2010/2011 season, which isn't that bad. Especially since he'd be a 17 million dollar expiring contract.

It's not a great contract, but people are exaggerating it, in my opinion.

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

so what else are we going to be able to get? if yao's window is closing what can we possible achieve without trading for another star...we aren't going to be able to trade our old for another teams new, we can't really upgrade via draft and expect that player to contribute in a significant fashion. this is about now, we aren't thinking longterm, rationally or irrationally, it is clear they want to win NOW, this year, maybe next year, beyond that we/they are not that concerned. whether that is logical or not, i dont know...

6. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Hence the reason why he is on the trading block...

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

McGrady: 1 more year left at $23M
    Carter: 2 more years left at $33.6M (team option afterwards)

Not scary at all. Takes us out of the 2010 derby, but we aren't getting LBJ, Wade, or Melo anyway.

Evan

8. matty101

matty101 Member

Sorry i appologise, you are correct. However it still means that we lose 3 years if Carter doesnt pan out because no team is going to trade for an expiring going INTO the 2010/2011 season. We would have to wait until teams have thrown in the towel for that year before his contract becomes appealing. This means its likely we wont be contenders that year either.

Again this is all dependent on how Carter performs, but at 34/35 years of age, it is unlikely he will be worth the 17 million or whatever it is we are paying him in the 2010/2011 season.

9. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Carter is like a less talented version of McGrady when McGrady is healthy. Trading Artest for Carter may be enough to squeeze out a first round victory this year, but would be a disaster in the long run. Carter is 31 and his hefty contract is not expiring until 2011, which will give us a lot less flexibility in the next year in acquiring young superstar talent. I would not mind trading Artest + filler for Carter since we will lose Artest for nothing at the end of this year anyways, but we should not sacrifice players like Landry/Brooks/Scola who represent our future. Go all out for Stoudemire, not Carter.

#9 TTRocket, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  10. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

You know someone is not going to like the trade they make in 2010 trying to get LBJ or Wade, having an expiring contract the year after all that could land us a star that was signed in 2010 and didnt pan out for that team. I think having a big contract coming off next year, and the following year as a good thing.

11. ClutchCityReturns

It sounds like you still aren't clear on this.

Carter would effectively only be here for 2 years (next year and the year after). At that point, he comes off the books. There is no 3rd year.

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

who is going to give us young talent for an expiring contract? if theyre just going to lose him at the end of the season, or resign him WHICH THEY COULD JUST DO VIA FREE AGENCY...it makes no sense, if tmac is out for the season, and someone wants him, you trade him for whatever you can get...

13. battousai

battousai Member

I think the value of Carter depends on what he could do for us within the next year or two.

Will we be able to advance deep and win a championship around Yao and Carter? (maybe even Tmac if healthy?)

Would a Super Star like Yao and cap space of Tmac be enough to draw some big name player?

I doubt we would get Lebron, or Wade. any team that is going to get lebron or wade or any other big name will surely be in a rebuilding mode.

Take us for example.
    we would instantly be a contender with either wade or lebron, anyone else i am seeing an adjustment period for a year or two. not to mention the cap situation as I don't see the economy will be in any better shape in the next few years.

14. ClutchCityReturns

Isn't likely to happen.

Isn't likely to happen.

Isn't likely to happen.

15. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I agree, you won't get young talent for Artest. Artest + filler for Carter would not be a bad deal, but the thing I want to avoid is trading our young talent (re: Brooks/Landry/Scola) for soon to be over the hill players like Carter. Also I know Houston has no chance of getting LBJ, Wade, Bosh etc but is their a list of unrestricted FAs in 2009 listed anywhere? We might be able to land a player of higher caliber than a Vince Carter next year by getting rid of McGrady.

16. gta

gta Member

FYI

Carter is guaranteed $33.6 million for the next two seasons with a $4.5 million partial guarantee for 2010-11.

17. gta

gta Member

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Funny I was just checking it out on Hoopshype.

You're are correct sir! :eek:

19. boby

boby Member

We end up with both cousin? You got be kidding me! :eek:
    One is more than enough.

20. GOAT

GOAT Member

fellas that is a team option in 2011/12..........so in 2010/11 he would be traded as an expiring.....why is it so hard to understand