1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony on Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 14, 2011.

1. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I would probably do the trade, even if it meant giving up Martin and Melo not signing an extension. I don't think Denver would be interested in taking Scola's contract.

You can easily plug in Courtney Lee in the starting rotation and your defense gets better, and I think the offense actually would get better as well if you can keep Battier and move him to the bench. If the Rockets can make a deal for a defensive minded Center (like Sam Dalembert), and another 3pt shooter, i think we can be considered a sleeper in the playoffs.

Lowry/Ish (Brooks traded)
    Lee/Budinger or T-Will (Martin and Budinger or T-Will traded)
    Melo/Battier (Jeffries Traded)
    Scola/Hayes (Patterson Traded)
    Dalembert/Hill/Miller (Yao Traded)

This would make us sleepers in the playoffs this year, and if Melo decides to part ways, then I think this would give us an opportunity to clear cap space next year and try to bring in at least 2 of the 3 big name FAs in 2012 (Dwight, CP3, and D.Will).

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Actually I think disallowing sign and trades and adding the "franchise tag" to a players bird rights might be the main change in the new CBA this summer.

This will discourage players from taking a chance at free agency and even with a player option will be leaving alot of money on the table.

The money always wins with the players, especially the franchise players, and if they werent allowed to keep their bird rights through a sign and trade then it would discourage the new breed of superstars like Durant and Blake Griffin from teaming up and leaving their city in 3 or 4 seasons.

The organizations seem to benefit the most from sign and trades, because they can still get something for a franchise player leaving, but really the POWER comes in the POCKET BOOK of the players. If they are willing to take a major salary cut like Barkley did in order to sign Pippen, then good for them.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  4. Stepping Razor

Lol, could see how that could happen..everyone is waiting for "that trade"..plus doesn't help when you just woke up

5. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

He's trying to say politely that his wife won't let him.

6. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

Martin is the kind of guy that scores very well in the first 3 quarters of games which would be of huge benefit to a player like Carmelo which would help keep him fresh for the fourth quarter which is exactly the spot this team has been struggling in. I think Martin and Melo compliment each other very well on the offensive end. Defensively would remain to be seen.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

that was carmelo basically saying the rockets are the chick you'd bang but wouldn't brag to your friends about.

8. brosef

brosef Member

sounds awfully familiar to mr. bosh last summer

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Corrected- Martin is the kind of player that scores very effectively when there is BALL MOVEMENT. 4th quarters in the NBA tend to become an isolation game on offense and can make a player like Martin ineffective because you need ball movement for him to be effective.

Melo however, is deadly in the post and can run the isolation offense very effective. However, if the offense is run through Melo rather than relying on equal touches, Martin becomes a secondary scorer and is less effective. Still Martin as a secondary scorer sounds good to me. He can become a deadly spot up shooter if you need him to be. Just an overpaid Eddie House basically.

Secondly...Efficient offense leads to good defense.

Think about it, teams cannot get easy points in transition if the one team is at the foul line all night.

The Rockets with Melo and Martin wouldn't necessarily be the best brand of basketball because... well the game would have alot of stoppage due to fouls, but there is no doubt that they would win games and suprisingly their defense could actually improve with a slower pace of play.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I applaud Melo's tact here. It's clear he doesn't really want to play for Houston but he is trying to be respectful. I can dig that. It's much better than the way Bosh treated the Rockets courtship or how Lebron treated the Cavs.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Love it!

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

lol!!! :grin: :grin: You are wrong for this! Love it though. Why does Lowry always look like he is sorry about something he did??

1 person likes this.
  13. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

haha great photoshop

14. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Scola's production vs salary is quite a bargain:
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andrew_bynum/index.html
    $13,842,332, 11.6 pts, 7.5 rpg, +16.19

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andrew_bogut/index.html
    $11,000,000, 13.1 pts, 11.4 rpg, +19.93

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/antawn_jamison/index.html
    $13,348,905, 17.7 pts, 6.6 rpg, +15.96

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/emeka_okafor/index.html
    $11,540,375, 11.1pts, 10.1 rpg, +17.43

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/luis_scola/index.html
    $7,775,378, 19.1 pts, 8.3 rpg, +20.14

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_smith/index.html
    $11,600,000, 16.7 pts, 8.9 rpg, +21.3

I think casual fans underestimate the VALUE of some of our players in terms of their production vs salary. Most 19/8 guys would command at least $17-$18M if not near max. I think Denver would LOVE Scola's contract....

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

He said the same thing abou Cleveland...

16. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

He might have to trade himself?

17. amaru

amaru Member

Thats just the thing, Melo wouldn't be sticking around.

18. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

Co-sign

19. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I'm not under-valuing Scola, but I dont think Denver would be interested in paying that kinda money to a 30-yr old when they're in rebuilding mode.

Martin on the other hand, while not a player you can build around, would seem to be a more attractive piece. But if Denver likes Scola and Martin, and it can bring us Melo and Nene.. i'd be down for that.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kyle's hands are really pale looking.