1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Building around Kevin Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Dec 23, 2010.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

The numbers don't lie, Kevin martin is an elite offensive player. However he is a unique player, one of a kind even, I don't think I've ever seen a player quite like him before.

1. He doesn't really have much physical advantages, sure he has a quick first step, but it is not elite. He's got good atheleticism but certainly nothing to write home about. Good height and wingspan, but certainly not freakish.

2. Has great offensive IQ, really thinks about his moves and his defender, he really is like battier on the offensive end, the reason he is able to get all these foul calls is that he is able to outthink his defender.

3. Does not really force anything, I rarely see him take a bad shot, this is I think is why people criticise him for disappearing in the 4th quarter. Guys like Kobe or Lebron, if the offense breaks down for whatever reason, they'll just take it on themselves and create something, even if it is a bad shot. Martin doesn't really do this, if the offense breaks down, he always tries to get the offense restarted by passing out, rarely will he force a shot.

4. Is not really a good iso player.

The problem is that rarely has there ever been an elite offensive player who is not a good isolation player, so to build around someone who needs a system to score rather than using his individual talents is quite complex.

Luckily there is a precedent for this, the indiana pacers of the 90s were quite successful building around a tall shooting guard who was an elite offensive player, could shoot 3s, flopped on offense to draw free throws, poor defensively, and also could not create in an isolation situation.

They laid out quite a good blueprint how to do this.

1. Must have elite passers at either the PG or SF positions. The pacers had Jalen Rose and Derrick Mckey and Mark Jackson all very good passers.

2. Stretch Big man to take advantage of the off ball movement of Reggie. Rik Smits, Austin Croshere.

3. Hard screeners and enforcers to protect Reggie and play tough defense. Dale Davis, Antonio Davis.

Now I think we have some pieces here already, Lowry and Battier are not as good as Rose and Jackson but adequate and certainly an upgrade defensively.

Scola plays the role of the stretch big and he certainly gets plenty of open jump shots in this system, he is also a better post presence than anything the Pacers had.

Where we are really lacking is the screeners and enforcers. Chuck Hayes is good but undersized, Miller is more of a Smits type, Jordan Hill is still quite a ways away and inconsistent. Patterson has potential.

If we can add two legit enforcers in the mold of dale and antonio davis, then I think we will be contenders.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And that Pacers team never won anything.

A team built around Martin will never win anything either because his offensive game is really centered around his ability to get to the free throw line. That isn't usually as easy to do in the playoffs and it never is in the 4th quarter. Which is why he often disappears in the 4th quarter.

3. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Maybe OK if it's not in NBA

1 person likes this.
  4. Shaud

Shaud Member

Kevin Martin is the type of player that you add when building around a certain player.

You don't build around Kevin Martin though but he can be a very key piece to a team with a guy that is worth building around.

5. trugoy

trugoy Member

I don't think that's a good argument, they were in the same conference as the Jordan Bulls, and when they made the finals they came up against Shaq Kobe Lakers.

In a different time different era, they would be champions.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have always said that if you put good two way players around Martin, he would do a lot more. I think Morey has started doing that with the acquisition of Williams. Patterson only has to play defense like he did last night and his minutes should start to go up.
    It's starting to look like we have the pieces that we need, we just have to get some good practices in so that everyone can start to acclimate themselves.
    My point is, the addition of these two adds more defenders who can also score to surround Martin with.

7. Prince

Prince Member

and he stopped a star player last night.

8. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

and in this era, they would be stopped by the spurs, the celtics, the lakers, and maybe even the Heat...

9. trugoy

trugoy Member

We don't have an alternative, we have to build around him. What is the alternative other than to try to get pieces that make the team better?

10. conquistador#11

Most importantly, Martin fits Rick's system perfectly. This is a damn good team. The problem is when they run into teams with a lot of height at the C and PW positions.

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

We have to build around Martin? Says who?

If we have to build around Kevin Martin then we need to just rebuild our team and start from scratch because something went wrong.

I'm for keeping Martin if we can find someone through a trade without giving him up that we can build around. But I don't like the idea of building around him.

12. trugoy

trugoy Member

They were the only team to take the 3 peat bulls to 7 games.

I think they deserve a lot more respect than that.

13. trugoy

trugoy Member

We don't have the pieces to get anyone better than Martin. If any superstars becomes available, there are multiple teams with better pieces than us to get them, see Thunder, Nets.

This should be quite clear given the Carmelo situation.

14. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Malone and Stockton never won anything either, your argument is sophomoric to say the least.

15. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

If Carmelo is a superstar then so is Kevin Martin.

That's like saying Bosh is a superstar.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Same could be said about Melo.

17. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

i agree with this. But right now, its undeniable how great he is playing, his ability to get to the foul line to close games out is winning us games. and AB is looking awful right now, hopefully he gets back into his rhythm soon.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ding, ding, ding!!!!!

19. trugoy

trugoy Member

Exactly, we don't even have the pieces to get pseudo superstars let alone real superstars.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Kevin Martin with any elite passer will be key to championship teams.

What's so great about Kmart is he definitely has elite movement without the ball, and he always finds a way to get open. If you put him as a secondary offensive player and build around an elite primary offensive player who has decent court vision, Kmart will thrive.

You don't get a lot of guys like Kmart, and one person who really resembles his offensive skill set is Rip Hamilton, and he won championship with a shoot first PG.

I can bet that the Miami Heat will be more efficient as a team if they had Lebron and KMart or Wade and Kmart instead of Lebron and Wade. Martin does not require the ball in his hands to be effective, and with strong interior presence much of Martin's defensive flaws could be compensated.