1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooks: Obrien made me miserable

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 30, 2018.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Guess you missed this part of my post(s).

He's far from being MY sh** coach. Since he's actually OUR sh** coach.

#41 FLASH21, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

31-33 in reg season, 1-2 in the playoffs including a 30 point shutout isn't a losing franchise?

Nook likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

You know my former job didn't care about workplace environment until I figured I didn't want to deal with it anymore and got a job elsewhere. When I gave my notice then they started caring and tried a counter-offer but it was too late. I'm not saying anyone here is right or wrong but I'm saying the workplace environment matters. All last year everyone was dumping on Rick Smith for not retaining Brooks but now we know that there might have been another factor why he didn't stay in Houston.

Making players miserable or too comfortable is tolerable if the team is winning; but it will get old pretty quickly when the expected results aren't met. Like I said before, O'Brien is not a no-fun coach. I don't think this is what this is about.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  4. csj

csj Member

Wondered how long it would take for someone would produce this statistic. No, adding the record of a single, anomalous losing season to three, consecutive winning seasons does not produce a losing result, even if arithmetically it may appear to. This is what's known as "lying with statistics", something common among fools here.

O'Brien has had winning seasons 3 of the 4 years he's been coach and has made the playoffs twice. No reasonable person would call that a "losing franchise" and many teams would be pleased to have had that level of success.

Yes another example of extrapolating to support ignorant narratives.

macho GRANDE and Rashmon like this.
  5. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

What kind of season would you call 51-13? Since apparently , 31-33 isn't losing. Sure as hell ain't winning.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

how did that work out? historically embarrassing? am I lying with maths again?

Perhaps if his winning seasons were a bit more winning and his losing seasons were a bit less losing he would have a winning record?

7. csj

csj Member

Since these aren't seasons I wouldn't call them anything, nor was the claim about seasons to begin with.

The only reason overall won-loss record is discussed is because it supports a losing narrative and was hand-picked to make that argument. Overall won-loss record is about as interesting as total points scored vs. allowed. Neither is useful in determining how well the team has met objectives. This statistic is skewed by an anomalous year.

The fact is that out the 4 seasons O'B has coached there have been 3 winning seasons and 3-1 is more winning than losing. "Winning vs losing" is just a simpleton's point of view anyway. Of course, many posters here are simpletons who feel the need to state everything in absolutist terms, but the fact is that the Texans have been a winning franchise during O'Brien's time, just not winning enough.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Believe me I get it.

When it comes to work place environment's and performing at your top level, it certainly makes a difference. I went from being miserable for a freight forwarding (or two) company to joining an oil and gas company within the past two years.

The difference within the atmosphere and total overall employee enjoyment is night and day.

These guys get paid millions though, compared to me. And as you say, for the most part, BoB isn't all work no play type of coach. He jams out to Rick Ross and makes jokes here and there from what we've seen on HK. But apparently, that's not enough for Brandon Brooks, he wants a much looser environment which he's gained in Philly.

Not every coach is for everybody just like not every job is for everybody. Either you have the chemistry or you don't.

macho GRANDE and Joshfast like this.
  9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Every last one of them that's in that locker room. Well only two players that I know of doesn't like him. And that Brock Trashy and Brandon Brooks.

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I bet if BOB had Tom Brady he would be a winner... How come when we had the #1 offense in football it was "all watson" but for the Pats its Belichick and not Brady? I'm just moving coals around, obviously Hoodie, is quite possibly the greatest coach of all time, just think its funny how people change arguments to fit their narrative.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of what Watson did was make something out of nothing after a play falls to sh*t, that makes people think that it was a terrible play that was called and Watson just managed to make something happen on his own. When you watch the Patriots play, you see guys wide open all the time for Brady to make fairly easy passes to. He doesn't have to scramble around and try to make something out of nothing very often.

Also, when Brady goes down, Hoodie manages to take absolute garbage QB's and make them look amazing time and time again.....BOB can't even make the garbage QB's he's personally asked for look as good as they end up looking elsewhere. It's pretty clear BOB is just awful as an O coordinator.....to this day he still doesn't realize that Lamar Miller is terrible running up the middle and that he needs to get the ball out in space to make things happen.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Did you watch Hard Knocks when the Texans were featured? BOB is actually a pretty fun guy, from what I saw. Playing music during practice, laughing hysterically at Vince Wilfork's overalls, laughing at the players imitating him, etc.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I was referring to Brooks, not Belicheck. People calling him a p***y and BOB a real man/hard ass or whatever. Just pointing out you don't need to be a hard ass to be a winner

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Well he had Garopollo, but I get your point. Wasn't trying to argue BOB better than hoodie, just mentioning how the arguments are always different. We have had the bottom 5 qb in the league for the last 6 years, having any winning seasons was nice. And I think our Oline was why the play looked blown up, but Watson made some throws to some wide open people too. Basically I'm just saying lets see what a healthy season looks like.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Garopollo was the last guy he had, but he also made Mallett, Hoyer, Cassel, and Brissett look like competent enough QB's to where they had a career after the Patriots.

You give Belichick a bottom 5 QB and he makes suckers think they are a top 15 QB while continuing to win with them. You give BOB anything but the absolute best and he can't do anything with it.

16. Nook

Nook Member

All it does is make the Eagles look like a bunch of p*****s. Also the Eagles win 1 Super Bowl and talk endless **** about the BB....he has won 7 Super Bowls... these douche bags have 1.

macho GRANDE, texans1095 and J.R. like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

How many seasons does BOB get? Every year I hear how the Texans are turning the corner. Also don’t compare BOB to BB.

Htownballer38 and juanm34 like this.
  18. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Doesn’t matter , As long as we’re division champs..brian!!

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

OBrien would get Brady the statue killed with the OL be builds and plays he calls

juanm34 likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

35 3-yard slants to Wes Welker per game. If he has extra time, mix in a few 5 yard outs and curls.

Mr. Clutch likes this.