1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Obrien wanted to start Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I watched the draft and I did not notice that. I wonder if there if we can rewatch the live broadcast.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't believe that was the case at all.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I would say neither of those. No apology needed because Watson never demonstrated anything close to what he showed against TEN. I called it a simpleton analysis because it assumes that he did.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I searched for the clip but couldn't find it. If you search through the draft thread, I mentioned it at the time. It was absolutely what happened. I don't know why he was standing but it was obvious he was watching a TV and then smiled when he saw his face. Do you honestly think THAT'S his smile? It's absurdly exaggerated.

5. texian

texian Member

O'Brien was just asked specifically about the Matt Hammond story and he just kind of threw up his hands a little and said:

I mean, you know... (chuckles) I don't know where... like I've said for the umpteenth time we have an organization that works very well together. I decide who plays, Rick's in charge of personnel, I'm in charge of the 46 man game day roster. I feel like every decision I make is in the best interest of the team. Rick and I talk every single day about the roster, we go over every player, we just met this morning on the roster, we met yesterday on the roster... and so we have a good relationship.

So, I don't know, I just can't understand it... the big thing for us is to be focused on Kansas City.

O'Brien then went on to compliment Rick and his staff for bringing in good players to replace the injured guys.

The answer is he's not answering, but it dispels the notion he leaked this information.

That's just not true. Rick was ecstatic after getting off the phone with Deshaun, and the picture of O'Brien looking down was him texting on his phone. Big drama.

Someone wrote a story back then that Rick consulted with O'Brien during the draft on when to go up and get him. McClain wrote that Rick was so anxious he wanted to trade up to #6 overall.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Nope. That shot occurred long after the call - here's the footage I could find; it unfortunately cuts off before the shot of the Texans' war room.

I saw it live; commented at the time. When they first cut to the war room, no one is smiling. It's only after he sees himself that he smiled.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't think it is uncommon for war rooms to look that excited after a draft pick. They all do it. They are cheesing, clapping. Hi-fiving and giving each other bear hugs. The only difference is that only Rick Smith was doing it for the Texans.

tierre_brown likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I wouldn't wanna stay in a city full of ungrateful non understanding football fans either

This dude can coach

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'll settle for firing a Rick Smith. O'Brien will get himself fired eventually by performance on the field but Smith is teflon.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He won't answer whether he wanted to start Savage.

Doesn't exactly dispel the notion that he has a team of leakers defending his rep at every opportunity.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And you base this on a sportsradio610 report.

I haven't been around here and dont listen to sports talk anymore. I didn't know this was even an issue. I know none of them own up to Osweiller but who cares

TheFreak likes this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

That would be dumb of them. The Texans announced prior to the draft that there would be cameras in the war room. http://texanswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/24/texans-will-have-cameras-in-war-room-on-draft-night/

Did he all of a sudden remember the cameras and then stand up and smile? It would have looked bad if everybody in the room looked so miserable after the pick. That would have looked worse in my opinion.

14. Mr. Clutch

it's not just 610. This stuff gets reported in the national media too. It's a leaky organization

justtxyank likes this.
  15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Some players embrace the moment and relish in the opportunity. This was precisely what happened, and it stumped Bill OBrien. It proves that the kid was listening and trying to mentally make the correct reps as a back up...Not only has Watson taken the role, he has allowed OBrien to open up the play book. Starting Savage was the better decision after seeing live reps during practice and preseason...
    This story is horse crap...Everyone, even the media that was watching this team in the offseason, really didnt think that Watson was ready to start...NO one saw this coming. Dabo Swinney eluded to the fact that some people have this "It factor": you dont know how to describe it when you see it, but you know it when you see it...He identified that Watson had this trait, something that leads to greatness. It would be amazing if this is a story that leads to titles, and so far we have only had very few games...but the kid keeps on surprising us and I am ready for greatness at the QB position. Lord knows Houstonians need it.

TheFreak, DreamShook and whozee like this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

This is the first time in 4 years that O'Brien has what looks like a real offense.

Why doesn't he STFU instead of ruining it?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Loose lips on Kirby Drive!
    [​IMG]

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  18. texian

texian Member

He said he makes the decisions on who plays.

Right. So he can turn around and deny them the next day. Makes perfect sense.

Everybody saw it live.

No one was smiling in the entire wayyy too big draft room after the pick. I've got the video, Rick laughed after Cal turned around and said something to him. I guess that means the whole room was unhappy with the guy they just mortgaged up to draft???

[​IMG]

Very grim. Maybe they accidentally picked the wrong guy.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't buy into the picture tells us they were unhappy narrative. Pictures don't mean anything.

Obrien was probably saying "We're on to the 3rd round Brian! Not going to talk about the past!"

sammy and J.R. like this.
  20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He's not. Not sure why you guys care so much about this.

Joshfast and TheFreak like this.