1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Blame Morey Not Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, May 12, 2017.

1. dwhite

dwhite Member

He is the one who failed to get us a Center at the trade deadline. Even crappy teams like Denver and Portland were trading quality bigs for nothing. Harden is the MVP point guard who had to turn into a Center the past two games.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I blame MDA more, could have just played Trez instead of expecting your PG to play center on defense....

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Dude .... Denver and Portland traded the "quality bigs" to each other.

Cant say teams were "trading quality bigs for nothing" when what the team got in return was a "quality big"

I understand your point but that's an awful example

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And remember, the one big we tried to get (Bogut) broke his leg right away.

Really, I blame DMO's dumb *** for this. Had he just took the deal he'd be playing this series, this system and team was perfect for him. Yeah, I'm just going to randomly blame DMO for this. Could have really used another big with a low post game and a guy that can even pop out and hit the 3.

5. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Harden got run in the ground, anyone would break down carrying this sorry franchise. Houston is a joke.

DMO (DJ remix) and BigShasta like this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Morey seems to always be 1 acquisition away from a full team. 2 years ago he failed to get a PG for an injured Beverley. Everyone knew what the Rockets needed but Morey failed to get that one piece.

I'm still a Morey supporter though.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Harden played a couple minutes above his regular season minutes.. there are no back2backs in the playoffs. not buying this fatigue garbage.

Vivi, malakas and T for 3 like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He has built two pretty good teams...that look good on paper then break down somehow.

The one team Around Yao and Mac with Artest...pretty much a big 3, but of course by the end of the year Yao and Tmac were injured and it was Artest against the Lakers.

Then the team with Dwight, Lawson, Harden...again, very good on paper. The team the year before was a 2nd seeded team...we just had no idea that Dwight would do his Dwightmare stuff and that Lawson would stop being a useful player.

So I wouldn't be surprised if going into say the 2019 season we have another really good 3 players that looks great on paper...hopefully it works out this time.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be fair to other Allstars Lawson was a useful player here and there but not an Allstar.

Yao, Mac and Artest had some vibe there mainly because Artest was a defensive beast and enforcer.

10. dwhite

dwhite Member

True or false.....it is much tougher to cover a physical center (Aldridge) than a pg (Mills). Harden used all his energy getting manhandled in the post. Playing defense and having to rebound against 7 footers is exhausting for small guys.

skroodup25 and deb4rockets like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, the Lawson we thought we were getting was a borderline all-star player, like say Scola for a lot of his career, but seeing as how he was being added to a 2nd seeded team...we all thought better. We got nothing for him...

Reminds me, many of us then thought we could challenge the Warriors at the start of that season...lol

12. dwhite

dwhite Member

This is soooo true....goes back to the days where his tallest player was Chuck Hayes.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Artest was a short rental unfortunately. We thought he would stick with us but he got lured by Kobe and the City of Stars that is LA.

It was just a flicker of light, did not last long. Artest was on a mission to win something big.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, you can't blame him though? Yao and Tmac era was done then. That was their best shot at it (and Yao looked like the best player in the NBA that series against the Lakers...) and then we handed the reigns to Aaron Brooks (which sounds funny now) and the rest is history. But Morey has put some really great teams together. They just look good on paper and it just doesn't work out.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not want to blame anybody but if I have to root for a team that I know can do better, they are the people responsible.

Usually people that are responsible have to answer.

I am just sick with Morey and Alexander sharing a vision of Offense that has a glaring lack of Defense.

They need to revamp the team into a defense first team and worry about Offense later.

Or into a well balanced team.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Enough blame to go around after tonight.

The funny thing is, Kerr does what MDA did but better. The reason is he emphasizes defense first, and watch the Warriors. They will not ignore open 2 point jumpers in favor of 3s.

Also. Kerr's warriors do not think they are going to win with a 7 man rotation playing at the pace they do. 100% agrees about defense first. That's why the Warriors play like they do, their stops fuel the pace. That's why we've blown the Spurs out when we did, because they were missing shots...now imagine if we forced them to miss shots instead of just hoping they shoot poorly.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They also went deep into the draft to get Draymond, Thompson and Co.

We are a good team in the West but the West got far better teams.

I am not a blind supporter, I want answers all the time. I want a solution every time too.

Blaming without solution is also not a good option.

#17 daywalker02, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that was ridiculous. I hate playing small ball. We need more beef and height at rim protection.

DMO (DJ remix) likes this.
  19. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I say fire Morey and trade Harden if possible. If it's not possible to get value for Harden (as some will assuredly yell at me about this post), still fire Morey.

The NBA is passing Morey by... 7 years ago, it was hip to talk about analytics. Now, the most successful franchises have shown that they use them as an auxiliary function or laugh about them entirely.

cheke64 likes this.
  20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

mda is the one who set the rotation, not morey. mda's the coach, morey's the gm. morey did a daam good job other than ryan. mda has proven once again he's not a championship coach. and his flaws were very few. he wasnt making a lot of crucial mistakes. im surprised he'd stick to a short rotation. bumping eg's minutes in the po's is incredibly risky, one we shouldnt have to take with ryan "13/5" anderson.