1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blake Griffin to miss rest of Playoffs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Raz, Apr 22, 2017.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-blake-griffin-injury-los-angeles-clippers-5ae27e377c45

Yikes; Blake's legs are just shot. Do not want.

BigMaloe and Pen15clubber like this.
  2. Raz

Raz Member

Can't calculate that. It's all up to Blake and if he decides to sign with the Celtics for example, they can sign him straight up.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

there was a time when griffin would actively do flips to get a foul call. at that time if this injury happened i would have thought "good, dude deserves it." but now that the clips are almost irrelevant after their epic meltdown against us, i almost feel bad.

Pen15clubber and Exiled like this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure if serious. But since you didn't say, "I'm serious," I assume that you were serious.

Yung-T likes this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

His health is a risk. But which realistic free agent upgrade options (for any team, not just the Rockets) are really better than him, even with injury risk accounted for?

There will always be WAY more teams chasing high level free agents than there are high level free agents available. Griffin will most likely get multiple max offers unless there is a definitive medical diagnosis saying that he has no chance of being elite.

Getting a top free agent from another team has only gotten more difficult under the new CBA. A player only becomes unrestricted after his 2nd contract, 8 or 9 years into their career so most likely having had plenty of wear on his body-- Kevin Durant has pretty signficant injury concerns, too. Elite players current team just got handed more tools under the CBA to keep them, too.

6. Nook

Nook Member

If the Blake Griffin wants to sign with the Rockets, you make it happen. Having said that, it is highly unlikely that Griffin would want to join the Rockets. The Clippers are likely to give him the super max. He enjoys living in LA and for an organization that puts up with his nonsense.

He is vastly overrated. He plays poorly in the 4th quarter of close games.his effort is mediocre and he is a stupid player on and off the court. He loses his concentration and focus for long stretches of time. He doesn't have a strong desire to be a competitor and has the reputation for being mediocre at keeping himself in shape and ready to play.

Having said all that he is better than anyone else we have on the team and the hope would be that Morey and D'Antoni would find a way to get the most out of him. Keep in mind of course a player has to want to fit in or you end up with a Dwight Howard situation.

7. Lightsnowaction

I loved the idea of Blake, but the reality is that he is only a star, no superstar anymore. Yes he is better than anyone we have, but if he can't routinely punish Green and Durant in the post and go in the paint to throw it down like 2 years ago, I'm not 100% sure how he fits. Plus the injury concern and the lack of fire in him during money time in the playoffs scares me off.

With all that said, his improving 3P% is attractive and playmaking and ability to create a shot of the dribble and pick-n-roll ability makes me think Red is a good color for him, also the fact that he is part of the Clipper lineup that are elite on D. May play him as a 4 or 5.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally, at this point, i'd take Boogie over Blake.

JayGoogle likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Are we certain about that though? I mean, if it was Donald Sterling then absolutely. He didn't give a single care about the team's success.

If I'm the Clippers, I realize this era is over. You don't gain much by resigning Blake unless you really think that as CP3 ages that Blake will carry their team forward. I doubt they think that, I doubt any GM/Owner thinks that.

This is really the first big test for Ballmer as an owner. Barring some amazing post-season run led by CP3 (Who is capable of that) this will be the first time he's faced with the decision of settling for just being in the post-season every year or realizing when the team's window has closed and start making moves to open it again.

Nook likes this.
  10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

While Blake Griffin would clearly be our 2nd best player if the Rockets signed him, it's not clear if he would be a better fit than who he's replacing. The rockets would likely have to trade away Ryan Anderson for nothing to clear the kind of cap needed to sign Griffin to his max contract. I don't think anyone is 100% sure that Griffin would fit in well with what the we want to do as a PF. So, you could be looking at the rockets forming their own version of the clippers with a dynamic PG, athletic PnR center, and Blake. The only other approach I could see is to get another stretch 4 and play Blake at the 5 but I can't really see how this moves the needle for us.

I think Morey will be putting in more calls to the Bulls and Pacers this summer.

da_juice likes this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

The problem for the Clippers is that even if they don't resign Blake, they have no money to sign someone else to play in his place...i think to have enough money to sign...let's say Millsap, they should probably renounce Blake + Redick to start, and i'm not even sure that would be enough...so they might be kinda forced to pay Blake and Paul just to stay relevant since on the other hand they have no young players, no picks, no assets...the best they can do at this point is probably pay their free agents, and if in the future they'll get to the point where they realize they should just rebuild, trade them to get something back...

BigMaloe likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

BigMaloe, Nook and OmegaSupreme like this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Sign Blake and then trade him the following year for better assets.

14. macan

macan Member

clippers is never going to be successful in the playoff..it's just the way it is. they should blow the whole thing up this summer

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I would have loved Blake on the Rockets a week ago.
    Now, I'm passing.
    Hitching your cap space to a guy who is as likely to be out during the playoffs as healthy, is a recipe for disaster.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Especially since we already have one of those players in Beverley.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Griffin and Paul are likable and professional

Just saying I feel bad for Griffin. When healthy he has championship talent

They have already missed their window as a duo but their best shot may have been when they lost to the Rockets

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's time for most of the core just to go their separate ways. At this point none of these guys are people you start a team with but can be good piece to add to another good team.

Vivi likes this.
  19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Griffin could join the OKC. The team could be a good match for him, and he will get lots of love from his home town fans.

20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Griffin should just sign with Houston for the vet's minimum. We'll use him for the post season.

Oh wait.......................