1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Black Monday

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Dec 28, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bears, Falcons, Jets could have openings, joining the Raiders and 49ers who have already fired their coaches.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jets owner Woody Johnson will move swiftly Monday to fire both John Idzik and Rex Ryan, per sources. Johnson won't keep Ryan hanging on fate</p>&mdash; Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) <a href="https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/549424147311644672">December 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Rex Ryan should go to the Falcons. Would be a perfect fit. He can fix that defense and would finally have a legit QB after having such horrible QBs in Geno and Sanchez. That division sucks too, so he could easily make the playoffs next year.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

One Harbaugh down, one to go.

4. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

The Niners are obviously the best job of those 5, but in the toughest division. Raiders have a young QB to build around ? Jets have talent , but Bills & Dolphins are getting better. Bears have major issues with Cutler, & the Defense.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Mike Smith got fired...

6. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

About time. I don't know how that guy survived a 4-12 season without getting fired.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

GM Phil Emery and HC Marc Trestman out in Chicago

8. Major

Major Member

5 straight winning seasons, including two 13-3 seasons, and a career record of 56-24 buys you a mulligan, I would hope.

9. King of 40 Acres

1-4 record in the playoffs. Pretty mediocre. I guess if you like underachieving in the postseason Mike Smith is your guy. :rolleyes:

10. Major

Major Member

When your team had never made the playoffs consecutively in your entire 40+ year franchise history, you probably have some appreciation for a coach who gets you there 3 times in a row and 4 out of 5 years. I'm pretty sure if the Texans made the playoffs in 4 out of Kubiak's first 5 years, he wouldn't have been fired after 2-14 either.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But if they had fired him after last year (when the team had shown drastic regression, despite having similar talent), they possibly don't suffer another wasted year under him, with several key skill players in their primes.

When there is no clear cause for the regression, you have to look at coaching. All coaches really only have a 2-3 year window to turn a team around... and if regression hits after success, its very unlikely a coach will "recapture" the team.

Using the same logic, the Saints may be wise to make a switch now from Sean Payton... there really wasn't a clear-cut personnel cause for regression (both offensively and defensively), and I don't see them suddenly making a SB run again with that core.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Marrone has escape clause

13. Major

Major Member

Certainly true - but there's also the possibility of it being a one-off fluke. Look at NYG. If they had fired him after his mediocre seasons post-SB, they maybe never win the 2nd SB. Or look at Pitt with Bill Cowher. They made the playoffs his first 6 years, then missed it 3 years in a row. If they had fired him somewhere in there, they would have missed out on the Superbowl run several years later.

I'm not saying they couldn't or shouldn't have fired Mike Smith last year; I'm just saying that there were legitimate reasons to give him a mulligan. It just depends on organizational philosophy. If you think you have a great coach and want long-term stability, then you have patience through the difficult times. If you think change and fresh ideas are useful after a bad season, then making a move is probably more likely. But teams have had success going both routes.

14. Major

Major Member

I think there were also some reasons for the failure last year. They let their top RB go and replaced him with an oft-injured and ineffective guy. Harry Douglas was their top WR thanks to constant injuries to their two star WRs. For a team that's built around skill-position offensive players, that was fairly devastating.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Good points.

Perhaps an exception could be made for SB winning coaches... which would nullify my logic that the Saints should get rid of Payton now. However, coaching regression is a real thing... sometimes you can only get so much out of a team, and likewise sometimes a team can only hear so much out of a coach before they either start tuning him out or their methods simply no longer work on a given crew.

In the case of Cowher, he was allowed to over-see a new core of players.... he was also extremely young when he was first hired.... both aspects that increased his chances of adjusting and finding success with a new regime (then again, Mike Tomlin basically inherited Cowher's team and had increased success with it... so maybe it was more about the core talent than who the actual head coach was).

In the case of ATL, its clear their core can't really be changed/upgraded all that much... so if you're suspecting regression more due to coaching than personnel, you go ahead and make that change.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Monday isn't exactly black if you're Harbaugh getting a raise.

17. King of 40 Acres

Technically the Niners didn't fire Harbaugh, they just had a mutual agreement to part ways.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rex Ryan / Trestman would make an amazing OC/DC duo somewhere.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I wonder if Trestman would be interested in going back to Cleveland to replace baby-shanahan (who has done nothing on his own to earn repeated OC job opportunities), and if Ryan would be interested in being a DC under his former protege (Pettine) there?

Chances are unlikely both happen... in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan ends up with another HC job.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I heard this morning baby Shanahan might even be up for HC openings.