1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien earned his keep tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 14, 2017.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm thankful for a Texans win and I'm a big fan of optimism, but Billy O is trash..

keep up the good fight, @EddieWasSnubbed, but you're about to get roasted with all the inflammatory rhetoric.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nah, I'm just being a realist.

On paper, it should be been an ugly game for us, with us having an outside chance to win. Our coach played it well. Got us the W. Move on to next week, and get some guys back from a concussion.

I'm not saying BOB was flawless. He wasn't. Far from it. But his scheme was great.

There were some things that Watson missed that could have been big plays. He should be checked out of the run on that zero blitz, namely. In the grand scheme, we got a win, and those are learning moments. Deshaun is definitely going to learn from them. No interceptions tonight, which was great. Some close calls, but far less boneheaded plays than last week. He'll continue to grow.

The big takeaway is that fans should feel more optimistic than they were Monday. Hopefully that trend continues, little by little. If our optimism grows with our quarterback, we'll all be alright.

PhiSlamma15 and DreamShook like this.
  3. Newlin

Newlin Member

I didn't say he did anything impressive. I said I don't think he's a good offensive coordinator. But, I think we need to keep in mind that he had very few weapons to work with on offense and a very bad offensive line. I don't feel good with BOB running the offense, but maybe things will improve when some of the injured return. And if Brown returns that could really help.

DreamShook likes this.
  4. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

No Waston gave him a stay of execution

ghettocheeze likes this.
  5. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

name one young qb Bill O'Brien has developed and made better

sean mcdermott in carolina with cam slowly developed him overtime, but cam had an amazing rookie season

you have your kyle shannahans with rg3 and kirk cousins then he turned matt ryan from above average to mvp.

next you have darrell bevell from seattle who had wilson as a rookie and turned him into a potential hof

scott linehan went from tony romo( a pure drop back passer) to dak prescott within 2 weeks suddenly due to injury and was able to get the most out of him.

name one qb college or the nfl that o'brien developed and made better.. YOU CANT, look at penn state that program is still dealing with sanctions from the sandusky scandal and o'brien got the number 1 qb in high school at the time christian hackenburg to go there. All scouts had Hack as a top 5 pick until o'brien ruined him, everything hack did at penn state was what he learned in high school. Thats why Hack got worse every year and never got better. Look at penn state today, James Franklin is the coach and they have a worse qb talent wise than hackenburg and they are the 4th in the country, and played in an amazing rosebowl last year

ghettocheeze likes this.
  6. HstnSprtsFan101

Can't really hate on BOB this week at least. No TE's, rookie QB, on the road, short week, sure it was very tough to watch but at least he had a plan and stuck with it. He let DW4 make plays at the right times, before the half and to close the game out. It wasn't pretty by any means and Andy found a way to self destruct like he always does but huge W. DW grew as the game went on I felt, disappointing to see yet again no one step up behind Hop. Hopefully JJ & KJo are ok.

TheFreak and PhiSlamma15 like this.
  7. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

O'Brien is done, once we play real teams and the team keeps scoring in the low double digits, media outlets will take notice and start asking questions. They will give Watson the benefit of the doubt, because O'Brien has proven he cant develop a damn qb. We have run through more qbs than the cleveland browns under O'brien hahaha

RasaqBoi, ghettocheeze and red5rocket like this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Matt Mcgloin and Christian Hackenberg.

If you think Obrien and not James Franklin ruined Hackenberg, then I once again question your football acumen. There's a reason Hackenberg got out of Penn State as soon as he could.

Also, Ryan Fitzpatrick saying he learned more in a year with Obrien than he had in the rest of his career combined.

Other than that, O'Brien hasn't really had the time, nor the talent that those other guys had to develop a young quarterback.

#28 Two Sandwiches, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Call me if we beat the Pats.

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. We won't win too much only getting 266 yards of total offense

11. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

It was an ugly game. If Savage was in at starting QB and they ran the same exact gameplan, would you still be singing OB's praises? What did he show tonight in specific that should convince us fans to not question his judgement or offensive playcalling? Was he responsible for the only touchdown run we scored? I believe that the Texans won in spite of OB, not because of him.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Bill O Brien secured a job on the Bengals next season. Offensive CoordaWaterboy

ghettocheeze and red5rocket like this.
  13. conquistador#11

I've always thought the bengals have a great d line. atkins was 4ft deep as soon as the ball was snapped. Dunlap on the edge versus revolving doors.

14. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

Bill O'Brien ruined Hacks mechanics, he was seen as a surefire top 5 pick, and had chris godwin who was taken in the 3rd round this past draft( now with the bucs and jameis winston). Hackenburg will tell you it was franklin that ruined his draft stock, because thats what his agent wanted him to say because James Franklin had just been hired. Ask penn State and New Engalnd fans what they feel about O'Brien and they will tell you to a man he sucked

James Franklin has a low 2 star qb trace mcsorely and has developed him. he went head to head with elite qb prospect sam darnold in the rosebowl, you think hack under o'brien could have done that. Keep in mind Franklin took the job at penn State knowing that the university is still on sanctions and still getting the job done. O'brien is making a qb who dominated in both high school and college and has been compared to players such as mariota, dak prescott, and on a lower scale tyrod taylor look like absolute crap

#34 RocketsTruth, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The only thing bob did right was name Watson starter for this game, if it was savage starting we would have lost.

16. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

well i know this isn't the college thread but penn st wins in spite of mcsorley instead of because of him.

i'm far from a bill obrein supporter but penn st fans were pretty pissed when he left them for us. they loved obrein.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Going to change your tune next week. If the bengals were even a little bit competent, we would be looking at a 0-3 hole after playing NE

ghettocheeze and RasaqBoi like this.
  18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

When is fuller back? When is griffin back? Where is jaylen strong? When is foreman going to be the feature back?

Watson flat out put this team on his back. As advertised. And he made some decent throws too.

He just needs to learn to audible when billy calls runs up the middle on 3rd and 1 with the entire defensive backfield in the box.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  19. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Nah fam, chill

20. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Yep...and as of RIGHT NOW both the JAGS/BENGALS offensive and defensive line are better than the Patriots so what does that say